When it comes to canceled fights due to missing weight

filthynumber1

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This could be just me, but it seems, at times, UFC brass gets more irritated with the fighter who makes weight but doesn't accept the fight, which includes not excepting alternate opponents. Which is the fighters choice for a reason

This thinking is completely fucked up, blaming the professional who made weight! Gtfo
I remember how angry Dana/UFC were at wonderboy when Michel Pereira missed weight.

How the person who made weight is to blame in any way shape or form is fucked up??
But then again, so is the UFC

Ps
For those wondeing my av is prime MandyCfit

Last edited:
Yeah it's messed up to blame the guy that followed the rules and was being professional. All fat fighters need to learn the towel trick so no fights get canceled from missing weight

016_Daniel_Cormier.0.1491854923.jpg

Dana definitely doesn't like it. Especially if the fighter that misses weight is the one the UFC are putting their chips behind.

The UFC seems to hate fighters turning down fights for any reason though.

"Won't fight your best friend? We'll remember that when you want an opportunity."

"Won't fight our rising star who came in 8 pounds over? We'll remember that when you want an opportunity."

It does seem like fighters get punished for turning fights down for completely reasonable things.

Last edited:
Lol at this era of soybean MMA fans glorifying guys who turn down fights. It’s MMA, not the Ultimate Femboy Championship.

Obviously the guy is an idiot for missing weight, but you get 20% of his purse and leverage with the UFC to add more money and fights to your contract.

Pichel is just a jobber well past his prime who knows he was outmatched. Imagine demanding full fight purse when you turn down fights LOL.

This could be just me, but it seems, at times, UFC brass gets more irritated with the fighter who makes weight but doesn't except the fight, which includes not excepting alternate opponents. Which is the fighters choice for a reason

This thinking is completely fucked up, blaming the professional who made weight! Gtfo
I remember how angry Dana/UFC were at wonderboy when Michel Pereira missed weight.

How the person who made weight is to blame in any way shape or form is fucked up??
But then again, so is the UFC

Ps
For those wondeing my av is prime MandyCfit

Ass backwards for sure..

Not sure when this started happening but im not surprised anymore by what they do

Dana definitely doesn't like it. Especially if the fighter that misses weight is the one the UFC are putting their chips behind.

The UFC seems to hate fighters turning down fights for any reason though.

"Won't fight your best friend? We'll remember that when you want an opportunity."

"Won't fight our rising star who came in 8 pounds over? We'll remember that when you want an opportunity."

It does seem like fighters get punished for turning fights down for completely reasonable things.
They hate on the guys turning down the fight, they dont care about the reasons, as long as the fight happens they dont care if the winner missed weight or not that much, they can still roll with the winner and give him more chances.

That's how it is. The problem lies where Dana dictates it does and the fanbase follows. "He didn't want to fight" has become one of the most memed yet most powerful statements in the industry in the last few years.

Also, as an aside, it's funny how you can always see certain "usual suspect" posters pop up in a given thread and know with a certainty that they're going to say something wildly stupid.

Don't fight someone that ignores the weight rules for an advantage. Take your show money and go unscathed.

Better than getting 30% more money but getting dominated by someone +lbs heavier than you.

I think part of the issue is that the fighter missing weight is already being punished. They're already getting docked pay.
It's one thing when you have a guy snap like Wonderboy who fought everyone and said thank you for the opportunity.
Vinc though? His claim to fame was getting suplexed by Rustam and rarely fighting.

Lol at this era of soybean MMA fans glorifying guys who turn down fights. It’s MMA, not the Ultimate Femboy Championship.

Obviously the guy is an idiot for missing weight, but you get 20% of his purse and leverage with the UFC to add more money and fights to your contract.

Pichel is just a jobber well past his prime who knows he was outmatched. Imagine demanding full fight purse when you turn down fights LOL.
I wouldnt say glorifying the guy that turned down the fight, but the weight missing fighter gets no shit at all, getting 20% in exchange for an unfair fight and a lot of times taking a beating its not worth it, also adding fights to your contract means nothing, if anything we have seen it only works in the UFC's favor as they can cut you at any moment, you cant quit at any moment...

I thought Pichel should had taken the fight, considering he is on his way out of the sport, just negotiate the fight for more money on top of the 20% purse if the UFC really want to give the weight missing fighter a pass.

Demanding full purse should be a norm, the fighter isnt turning down fights, he accepted and showed up the other guy didnt, its not like you could scam the UFC with this, its on the other guy...Also some AC's like NJ protect the fighter that makes weight, they get paid, of course the UFC wont like this (ask Leslie Smith), but thats like the only AC that does this, the rest dont seem to have a problem with canceled fights, when Demetrious Johnson was fighting Ray Borg and Borg missed weight they didnt pay him because their rules (or the local AC rules) allowed them to reschedule the fight and not having to pay the fighter, thats on the AC letting the UFC do it.

Don't fight someone that ignores the weight rules for an advantage. Take your show money and go. Better than getting 30% more money but getting dominated by someone 20+ lbs heavier that you.

UFC doesnt pay show money when the other guy misses weight, my guess is that it requires a very special type of fight cancelation for them to pay, like having the AC cancel the fight and them not having a replacement to offer, then and only then they might pay the guy.

Last edited:
filthynumber1 said:
remember how angry Dana/UFC were at wonderboy when Michel Pereira missed weight.

Yes, it's the scumbag UFC way to let chosen fighters cheat & win a fight.

OldBoy91 said:

SEEMS is an understatement. Blatant cheating is the correct term, and PoS Dana does it time after time with no consequences to him or the UFC at all.

Last edited:
Back