When do you know you've made it?

Scott Parker 27

Your Mom's Box
@Brown
Reaction score
I have a pretty good job working IT support which will provide a decent retirement. I own a home, have kids and a wife. At the job Im at now I get to work from home 2 days per week, but dont get opportunities for promotional opportunties, have to pay my own school costs, and dont get much respect, cause shit always rolls down hill.

Im going to a job interview tomorrow for a job with a different agency, doing something similar, minus the free parking and two days of working from home a week. This job, if I get it, which is a big if, would net me around 16k extra per year. It would also require me to work much harder and learn new software and infrastructure of the agency.

Im just not sure its all worth it. I do ok in the cash department, and the job perks are nice. Im nearly 40 and not sure if I want to go to a whole new department and learn all of their new bullshit, what subtly rules they have in place etc.

I wonder if you guys ever get to this point, where its like, I do ok for my cash, so not sure I need to keep climbing. Should I just be happy with what I have? How do you know when you have made it?

Ehh ask the married couples thread. This may be out my league...
Im all about that bachelor womanizer life..

You know you've made it when you have peace of mind.

Easier said than done but it's not how much you make or how much respect you get, it's if you're content with your life.

How you find that contentment is up to you but to me it sounds like you're already living a pretty good life.

I have a pretty good job working IT support which will provide a decent retirement. I own a home, have kids and a wife. At the job Im at now I get to work from home 2 days per week, but dont get opportunities for promotional opportunties, have to pay my own school costs, and dont get much respect, cause shit always rolls down hill.

Im going to a job interview tomorrow for a job with a different agency, doing something similar, minus the free parking and two days of working from home a week. This job, if I get it, which is a big if, would net me around 16k extra per year. It would also require me to work much harder and learn new software and infrastructure of the agency.

Im just not sure its all worth it. I do ok in the cash department, and the job perks are nice. Im nearly 40 and not sure if I want to go to a whole new department and learn all of their new bullshit, what subtly rules they have in place etc.

I wonder if you guys ever get to this point, where its like, I do ok for my cash, so not sure I need to keep climbing. Should I just be happy with what I have? How do you know when you have made it?

Talk with the wife. I've let mine know I got real desire to climb the ranks to Officer, other than maybe when I get closer to retirement.

When you want/need something worth sub-$1000, and you get it without thinking about the cost. That's when I knew.

Talk with the wife. I've let mine know I got real desire to climb the ranks to Officer, other than maybe when I get closer to retirement.
I have thought about taking my career into the higher up/supervisory role, but too many times when that happens, from my experience, someone is constantly gunning for your job. That person can turn into a group, and when it all goes to shit you are left to hung out and dry with management.

Dude, don't turn into Paul, or any of the other morons working there, who aspire to do as little work as possible and haven't learned anything new in 30 years.

You are in IT. It is a vocation that requires frequent retraining. But Paul and those guys just gave up and refused to learn anything after COBOL which is why they are so worthless. Is that really who you want to be in 20 years?

And it isn't that there are no promotional opportunities there. There are just no opportunities for you and anyone else who refused to discredit me when I blew the whistle on their embezzlement scheme. Being singled out like that day after day takes a toll on you. Sure, you will have to learn some new shit at a new job, and possibly work harder. But it's worth it. And just remember, you will have tons of work to do at your current job once the economy tanks.

When you want/need something worth sub-$1000, and you get it without thinking about the cost. That's when I knew.
Well thats a good point. If my wife and I didnt have to pay for all the expenses of having kids, no problem.

How often do you need more schooling? Being as you're in a constantly changing industry. Just curious

How often do you need more schooling? Being as you're in a constantly changing industry. Just curious
I would like it much more frequent than it is now. Right now, if we are lucky, once a year. Im trying to get my ccna now and have been taking night classes, out of my own pocket

Really? I thought one of the big drawbacks about IT was all the continuous schooling required to stay up to date

You know you've made it when you have peace of mind.

Easier said than done but it's not how much you make or how much respect you get, it's if you're content with your life.

How you find that contentment is up to you but to me it sounds like you're already living a pretty good life.

giphy.gif

when all you want is to better others you have made it

what kind of IT job doesn't offer paid training?
unless you're looking for skills outside of your job responsibility, then maybe i could see the company not paying. otherwise, not sure how they expect you to be able to perform as a support person.

Really? I thought one of the big drawbacks about IT was all the continuous schooling required to stay up to date
Haha, ya, its not exactly required, however it is a good investment in your staff. For example they need someone to build an imaging solution for the deployment of a new operating system. They havent had anyone since @sodapopinsky has left. I would be more than willing to pick it up if the department paid for my training, since it would look great on my resume, and they would be getting me to do it for a steal.

what kind of IT job doesn't offer paid training?
unless you're looking for skills outside of your job responsibility, then maybe i could see the company not paying. otherwise, not sure how they expect you to be able to perform as a support person.
Ya, my department is really shitty about training. Last one I went to was a good 6 months ago for supporting windows 10 PCs......great by the time it is implemented I will have forgotten 95% of what I learned.

Haha, ya, its not exactly required, however it is a good investment in your staff. For example they need someone to build an imaging solution for the deployment of a new operating system. They havent had anyone since @sodapopinsky has left. I would be more than willing to pick it up if the department paid for my training, since it would look great on my resume, and they would be getting me to do it for a steal.
So you two actually worked together??! Crazy.

Just keep striving to grow as a person, dude. Good luck!

You said that you will have a decent retirement. Is that a pension or a 401/457? If it's not a good pension, I'd say you make it when your 401/457 is one million or more.

Back