When Chuck met Guy

• Thread starter Deleted member 535377
  • Start date
Folded homie up like a cheap suit.

Mezger rocked his ass early, doe.

Chuck was a beast.
That was the height of my man crush on Chuck. Guy, Alistair...then Rampage...ugh. He was pure evil back in the day. Unbeatable

So let me get this right. Are you saying that MMA fighters shouldn't move their heads and just get tagged?

Your video is talking about fixed patterns of head movement getting punished, not saying you shouldn't move your head.

In the OP, their feet were bad and their head movement was bad by today's standards. I'm not saying they weren't good, just more that they'd get lit up by anyone in the top 10 now and it wouldn't be pretty.

Rhonda was the greatest ever not long ago according to ufc W 0 head movement. Hasnt changed that much, sometimes a slugfest is the fight, others its a technical fight. Plenty of people back then had great head movement.

The lack of head movement is crazy. I remeberseeing this the first time and thinking it was a pretty high level of MMA striking.

I know peopleclaim MMA hasn't evolved, but it definitely has.

Look at JDS for example, very similar to Chuck back in the day depending on his chin to make up for a lack of head movement.

Ultimately in Mezgers case he was always a bit of an upright kickboxer lacking both that killer touch and indeed vunerable to getting caught, the same thing happened vs Wanderlei and its why he never really hit the highest level.

And Mezger had a pretty extensive record as a kickboxer (even wrote a book on kickboxing technique), which makes the flaws people are pointing out more surprising.

Great fight, Guy was the real deal. He really held his own, sucks for him Chuck had a concrete chin back then.
Still can’t get over that chin on Liddell back in the day. He could take so many shots and keep firing back, he was walking through Bombs against mezger, overeem, and others. Seeing his later fights was always a shock, after rashad I think his chin was just completely depleted. The rich franklin fight was crazy how a short little uppercut laid him out.

Still can’t get over that chin on Liddell back in the day. He could take so many shots and keep firing back, he was walking through Bombs against mezger, overeem, and others. Seeing his later fights was always a shock, after rashad I think his chin was just completely depleted. The rich franklin fight was crazy how a short little uppercut laid him out.

Chuck has to be the only guy on both top 10 lists. Top 10 GOAT chin in his prime. Top 10 glass chin past his prime.

Mezger was underrated tough, and very unlucky with all of the split decisions, and day headbutt. Could have been a totally different story.

So let me get this right. Are you saying that MMA fighters shouldn't move their heads and just get tagged?

Your video is talking about fixed patterns of head movement getting punished, not saying you shouldn't move your head.

In the OP, their feet were bad and their head movement was bad by today's standards. I'm not saying they weren't good, just more that they'd get lit up by anyone in the top 10 now and it wouldn't be pretty.
Your video starts out by saying head movement is risky in MMA because of threat of TD, kicks and knees.

Like I said traditional head movement can't be used in MMA. Just how grappling/wrestling has been adapted to work in MMA, how striking has been adjusted to work in MMA, head movement is another combat aspect taken from another combat sport and must be adapted to work in the world of MMA.

Guy Mezger was a goddamn beast. Dude has kinda been forgotten due to being retired for so long and the fact he had some of the WORST luck when it came to losing decisions. Chuck was clearly the better man that night but Guy was definitely fucked raw by life on more than one occasion.

Mezger was actually pretty good. That was surprising. The combination he did at 6:14 was beautiful. Step in jab, duck and right hand, come up top with the left hook followed by the lead leg to the head. If he had found his range a little better and stayed more active with the jab and front kick he would have had even more success. Maybe he didn't want to be in midrange with Chuck, which makes sense considering he got flatlined.

Chuck looked terrible. Iron chin and iron hand, but otherwise terrible.

As much as we shit on MMA striking, it's clearly come a long way since these days

Still a very good fight nonetheless
The striking has gotten a bit better the last few years overall, but there's plenty of mediocre strikers at the top even today. Some great ones too, don't get me wrong. Back then we had many kickboxing guys and pure strikers at the top of their game coming over, so there was definitely high level strikers too.

Talk about head movement and boxing skills. Nog trained with the cuban national team (best team in the world) and Sergei is up there all time as a striker in MMA.

Cro Cop dancing around Wanderlei:

Hunt vs Nishijima was insane, a classic for people who havent watched. Amazing the heart he showed (and decent skill too):

Sergei vs Overeem is a classic (with a classic finish):

Fedor showed some great striking into grappling (frankly overall) in all his fights with Nog (music is a bit jarring here so might want to turn it down):

Don't forget about Schilt in MMA, one of the GOAT HW kickboxers. Brutal stuff:

Obviously Wanderlei, Rampage, Shogun, Alexander, Hunt, Overeem and more were good/great strikers in their own right. I could go on. The point is, Pride had high level striking at the higher weight classes, I'd argue just as good or better than today.

Last edited:
Expected this

guy-fieri-chuck-liddell.jpg

Guy is an underrated fighter... had some awesome fights in Japan that didn't go his way. But thinking of him reminds me of the classic Tito shirt.

Back