What's the most recent "clean" great win in boxing?

stuff jones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This means a win over a prime great fighter of similar or greater size with no injuries, no controversial decisions, no uncalled cheap or borderline cheap tactics.

These fights for example do not meet that criteria.

Joshua - Klitchko - Wlad is 41
Ward - Kovalev 1 - Controversial decision
Ward - Kovalev 2 - Low blows
GGG - Jacobs - Jacobs unproven, somewhat controversial decision
Loma - Walters - Walters with a 1 year layoff, how good is anyway?
Floyd - Pac - Manny past his prime, possible injury
etc.

Maybe Bradley - Marquez? But Marquez had a year break after fighting Manny and was old, even with that brutal KO.

Canelo vs Khan?

There is that size difference of course and Khans tendency to be chinny, but I'd say Canelo's win over Khan was a solid one (he's still an amazing boxer imo) and another calling card for Alvarez entering his prime. Ended the night in dramatic fashion too.

Mayweather and Pac had clean W's over a very game Cotto in the last 5-10 yrs.

Mayweather was also past his best vs Pacquiao.

Mayweather vs Canelo

Joshua's win over Wlad is great especially becaus eof how he won. it was a special fight.Fury beat Wlad as well and he did it more dominant.

OYu could nitpick things about every single greta win in history.

frazier vs Ali? Ali was past his physical best at that point and didn't fight well srategically.

Foreman vs Frazier? Frazier was out partying before his fight with Foreman and lost his hunger after the Ali win. Also Foreman had Frazier's number

Hearns vs Hagler? Hearns fought stupidly and he broke his hand in the first round

Leonard vs Hagler? 50% of all fans think he los tthat fight and Hagler was clearly past his best

You cna nitpick things about every great win

This means a win over a prime great fighter of similar or greater size with no injuries, no controversial decisions, no uncalled cheap or borderline cheap tactics.

These fights for example do not meet that criteria.

Joshua - Klitchko - Wlad is 41
Ward - Kovalev 1 - Controversial decision
Ward - Kovalev 2 - Low blows
GGG - Jacobs - Jacobs unproven, somewhat controversial decision
Loma - Walters - Walters with a 1 year layoff, how good is anyway?
Floyd - Pac - Manny past his prime, possible injury
etc.

Maybe Bradley - Marquez? But Marquez had a year break after fighting Manny and was old, even with that brutal KO.
Erol Spence's TKO over Kell Brook
Most legit thing to happen in the past2 years.

There are a lot of them. To name a few:

Spence over Brook
Thurman over Garcia
Thurman over Porter
LSC over Frampton

Spence over Brook prolly best answer so far for recent matchups.

Brook spence was the first I thought of! I thought it was close tn 50/50 with brook having home advantage. Spence is some fighter

I think both the frampron vs lsc fights are also good recent examples. Damn shame the rubber won't happen

Spence vs Brook.

1. Brook is not a great fighter. 2. In the span of 3 fights he went up and down 2 weight classes. Look what that did to RJJ. 3. He got his face dented by GGG the previous fight.

There are a lot of them. To name a few:

Spence over Brook
Thurman over Garcia
Thurman over Porter
LSC over Frampton

Garcia, Porter and Frampton are not great fighters. I'm talking about wins over great, A class, HoF type guys. Not solid B level guys.

Garcia, Porter and Frampton are not great fighters. I'm talking about wins over great, A class, HoF type guys. Not solid B level guys.

"HOF, A-class" guys do not typically lose often, which is why you're having trouble thinking of such occurrences.

"HOF, A-class" guys do not typically lose often, which is why you're having trouble thinking of such occurrences.

Well several of the fights I listed could be considered, except for the reasons I gave. They were recent.

Back