Movies What's the most intelligent, thought provoking movie?

4ea64ff4-6b58-440d-bf50-94b03f4ccb03_text.gif

Idiocracy.

It functions perfectly on 2 levels.

At the baseline it is mindless indulgent humor and fart and dick jokes.

And simultaneously it is a deep criticism of the effects of unchecked corporate influence, media saturation, dumbing down of society, government corruption.
The original draft had the catalyst of issues being the education system. Specifically, the opening scene in the first draft was a teacher asking her class a simple arithmetic question. A student raises his hand and states the incorrect answer. But, his teacher says the answer is correct because she doesn't want to hurt his feelings.

The crux of the film was supposed to be "feelings over facts will bring us down a bad path"

Most recently for me would be “The White Tiger” (2021) that movie was on my mind for weeks after watching it.

Idiocracy.

It functions perfectly on 2 levels.

At the baseline it is mindless indulgent humor and fart and dick jokes.

And simultaneously it is a deep criticism of the effects of unchecked corporate influence, media saturation, dumbing down of society, government corruption.
I feel this way about 1997's Gattaca. It was a two-level watch: One was a middle-road drama/thriller, and two was foresightful social commentary on where we're headed. Now here we are in 2024 with bio-payment chips, designer genetic sequencing (foetuses), and whatnot being trialled.

1713375237760.png

Terminator has some of the biggest mindfucks ever. Dude goes back in time to bang his BFF's mom from the past before dying. But he made that decision after seeing a pic of BFF Mom taken after she's already pregnant... from him. Dafuq? So who was the father in the first continuity and how did Sarah Connor become such a badass? And will the new John Connor (fathered by future BFF Reese) be the same as the original one? Also WTF is a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

Back to the Future at least kept things simple. Calvin Klein had the goddamned common courtesy not to bang his own mom.

Last edited:
Back