Opinion What will it take to bring both sides of the country together?

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I know that the War Room by definition is the place where people of different political opinions get to argue with each other, so my i know this isn't the best place to talk about strategies for bringing the country together but I don't know where else to go.

Anyhow, I've been hearing so many different reactions throughout the day to the decision by the Colorado Supreme Court to remove Trump from the ballot. Just about every reaction I've heard has been apocalyptic in tone: the left thinks it's a good decision because Trump must be defeated at all costs lest a civil war ensues and democracy dies, while the right thinks it's a bad decision and another reason why there needs to be a civil war to regain real democracy. Both sides are hysterical and irrational.

Yeah my views are generally Conservative, but I think it's wild to just dismiss 50% of the country just because they don't think like you.

At some point we have to put our differences aside and come together in order to make the most progress possible. We are better together than apart, a house divided can't stand, the strongest rope is that in which the strands are tightly bonded.

I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like I know the answers , but I feel confident in saying that something needs to change, we can't keep going on like this.

We need a leader who truly sees the potential in all people and who will do everything in their power to get Americans to see that they share common interests. Everything we need as a country we have, there's no reason why people need to fight each other or why people feel like they can't get what they need.

America was always about the "pursuit of happiness", and the founders understood that that pursuit must be a collective effort, hence declaring "we the people". It seems like modern politics is determined to destroy the "we" aspects of the American experience. The average politician will emphasize all the perceived differences Americans have (class, race, gender, sexuality, etc.) just to get a leg up on the competition. This has been going on for so long that we just accept it as normal, and take part in the game which makes it stronger and more entrenched.

But enough is enough. Conservatives and Liberals HAVE to come together in this country. We have to do whatever we can to find a common battle. We don't agree on everything, but there's way more that we agree than disagree on. We just lack the trust and respect for one another to do something about it.

But I suggest we start by clarifying the obvious. Most Conservatives are good people, and so are most Liberals. In order to win the battle for freedom, liberty, and prosperity, we have to stop looking at each other with suspicion and bad intent. Conservatives and Liberals have to start seeing themselves in one another: we are all decent people, and we just want to live good lives and love our families and be productive members of society.

So maybe let's start to make a.chamge by refusing to vote for anyone who has a divisive message. We should only vote for people who expressly intend to bring the country together.

Let's also stop giving oxygen to partisan news outlets whose only goal is to profit off of polarization. These people sow the seeds of discontent for a fast buck and then we pay the price for it in the end.

Let's also rebel against indoctrination on college campuses. College is supposed to be for education, not an echo chamber for the future elites of America to learn how to look down on the south and midwest.

There's so much more that can be done. But the point is it's way past time we stopped fighting each other and become the strong force America was always meant to be

Last time was 9/11. I don't even think that would work, you'd probably have a good chunk of the country simping for Al-Qaeda if that were to happen today. Also judging how people were celebrating people dying during COVID, victim blaming East Palestine, and just didn't give a shit about Maui I don't see it. Internet/social media culture has created an extremely unemphatic, hateful, tribal culture.

Well if you can find and answer to the Israeli and Palestinian troubles that both sides like you might have a chance at fixing this.

A sincere populist, but that will only last a while. As long as there is a wealthy class who wants to harness the power of the State to protect their assets and minimize any net benefit of their "contributions" to the working class, there will always be the threat of corporafe fascism.

Last time was 9/11. I don't even think that would work, you'd probably have a good chunk of the country simping for Al-Qaeda if that were to happen today. Also judging how people were celebrating people dying during COVID, victim blaming East Palestine, and just didn't give a shit about Maui I don't see it. Internet/social media culture has created an extremely unemphatic, hateful, tribal culture.
They already did. That was a recent tik tok of lefties making videos recommending Bin Laden's manifesto and saying how right he was.

Speaking on the US government, specifically the federal and certainly the state levels, politicians on boths side and their appointed administration are extraordinary in their levels of corruption. They offer absolutely nothing in terms of representation of the citizens of this country and have proven time and time again how they consistently put themselves first when given a opportunity. They don't even hide most of it, seriously they just fuck over the people in plain site with a smile on their faces and benefit greatly from it. They don't give a damn.

I only know the way to change this would require extreme measures to correct how screwed up things are atm. I'll add that media has not helped in any way but essentially poured gas on every fire that they and politicians start...

What's really sad is all the other things like lobbyists groups and all the huge corporations that take advantage of the chaos while lining their portfolios.

All this happens while many folks are more worried and distracted about manufactured left vs right political hoopla...

So yeah, shit is all f'd up. Enjoy your popcorn friends I fear it gets worse before better. :confused:

All that said I still have hope.

A new drug that makes people happy and makes them feel purpose in life.

Trump and covid at the same time broke the world.

They want to nuke his ass

I don't think a unified, united country is neccessarily a good thing. Last time America was united in a common cause, a million people died in the middle east.

The US could learn a lot from the relationship between Scalia and RBG. They had vehement fiery debates as SCOTUS justices, but great respect for each other and a very healthy friendship. And there is nothing I like about Scalia. Ginsburg was able to temper some of his perspectives from what I've read of them

I don’t think anything will bring us together.
This country is broke.

Nah, we're just being sold the fear that it is. Majorities of Americans are capable of agreeing on a lot. When you have politicians trying to undermine that agreement or outright ignore it, they begin so by seeing divide and using inflammatory rhetoric. When that doesnt work they change the rules. Then when that doesnt work, either they start merely ignoring the will of the people. See: Ohio

Back