What was _your_ Upset of the Year?

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
  • Chocolatito vs Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (either)
  • Pac vs Horn
  • Cotto vs Ali
Other?
If so, why?

Pac/Horn. Wasn't super surprised about Cott/Ali. And about Rungvisai, I've honestly learned to NEVER count out Thai fighters. They've really proven to be spoilers in recent years. Bernard Dunne, Koki Kameda, we've had a few instances recently. It's always super exciting when a fighter from Thailand travels to another country for a big fight, and I've learned to neverrrrrrr rule them out haha

Truax beating DeGale was a fairly big one too. I found that more surprising than any others that I can think of, except the Horn/Pacquiao result.

pac losing to horn eaaily but chocolatito getting koed in the 4th is pretty huge upset

I posted this also as my FOTY (before this thread was started) Chocolatito getting worked by Sor R in the second fight for my upset of the year

Predicted all the others. So Pac vs Horn for me. I was hoping for Pac vs Khan instead, had that for Khan.

Pac/Horn. Wasn't super surprised about Cott/Ali. And about Rungvisai, I've honestly learned to NEVER count out Thai fighters. They've really proven to be spoilers in recent years. Bernard Dunne, Koki Kameda, we've had a few instances recently. It's always super exciting when a fighter from Thailand travels to another country for a big fight, and I've learned to neverrrrrrr rule them out haha

Thai and Japanese fighters are both very good. Its just that they rarely ever air their fights in the West, and everytime they fly one over as a contender its usually for them to lose. Srisaket was no different, except he was a cherry pick gone wrong! Sadam Ali too, in the case of Cotto.

Probably Pac/Horn or Truax/DeGale.

Chocolatito/Srisaket 1, while definitetly an upset, isn't on quite the same level: Srisaket was known to be of at least some quality beforehand and had a style that would translate to giving Choco problems. Everyone thought Horn was just some bum. The same can be said of Cotto/Ali to a lesser extent (I guess you could argue Ali's style didn't look dangerous or troublesome).

Truax. Sor Rungvisai was proven, Pac was old, Ali was a decent fighter against a shopworn one.

Biggest upset or favorite?

This my favorite

Gonzalez shouldn't be upset of the year seeing as he lost his previous fight with the same guy.

That fight went totally under the radar for me. Worth a watch?
it wasn't that great a fight, DeGale didn't look like he even wanted to be there.

I just have it listed because Truaux was such a big underdog. DeGale has always straddled the line between special talent and major letdown. I expected him to lose his title relatively soon, but I figured it owuld be in a showdown with Ramirez or Benavidez or the WBSS winner. Not to some guy whose biggest name win is an MMA fighter.

Back