What to do when someone unloads a flurry (of hooks) on you?

Alanf7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I am struggling with them at sparring at the moment. What is the best thing to when someone throws a flurry?

stiff jab
clinch up (if MT or MMA)

basically straight attacks

Move away
To the left/right
Hope they follow in with their chin in the air so you can blast them with an uppercut or a right hand, a sloppy jab isn't going to do anything if they already are throwing a barrage of hooks
Or
you can bite down on your gumshield and return fire

Turtle up, time yourself, then try to catch and shoot , hit them between their own punches

The fail-safe for any combo of any punches lighting you up is to move your feet if possible.

look for clinch and tuck your chin right beside their head

cover up and circle away with jabs

kick out their lead leg

Watch a few James Toney or Chris Byrd fights. They'll show you how to time a counter hook off of a hook to your midsection and how to defend with shoulders and angles while countering hooks.

Like poster above said

Keep your distance best as possible. Use double jab a lot. Move to the sides. Stay low.

While you move to the sides, try to stick the body at the same time and proceed to come over the top with preferrably a cross

Attack that body. The sides, liver, midrif section. Keep ur dostance and make him run. It will eventually slow anybody down

Give the jabs ur all btw

Last edited:
The simplest thing is just to block try to stay calm and go down the middle with a straight shot. But every punch works straights are just the safest. Saying "just jab and circle" can't be the answer because I assume you are already trying to do that and want an answer what to do when you are already in that position which you will get from time to time regardless of how good you are.

Or just clinch, move your head instead of blocking but do the same or move the head and circle out but circling out without throwing back is hard when you are trapped in flurries of hooks

There's already good suggestions so far use/try all of it but in my opinion the biggest thing is getting in those situations more and genuinely learning to calm down so your brain and body actually work and flow, so the tactics and tools in your toolbox actually come out and get used effectively. The main takeaway is not to freeze up and just stand there and cover without punishing them, to do something, but for that something to be effective (re: the various suggestions made address that).

I have one specific tactic to suggest though and it involves a pivot. When you get swarmed cover up and stay calm, step your lead foot forward through the centre of your sparring's partner's stance (sort of of a pentrating step right through their centre line), as soon as the lead foot plants pivot FAST right or left and throw the corresponding hook from that new angle to the front of their face. For example if you pivot to your right (assuming you're orthodox), throw your lead/left hook, if you pivot left throw the rear/right hook. From there you have a bunch of options, tie them up, continuing into a combo, step off at an angle and jab to set up another combo, etc. Hope that makes sense.. there was a beautiful gif of it being used in a fight but for the life of me I can't remember where the hell I saw it who the fighter was, etc.

Edit: Found the gif here you go.

Turning your man

ug0afd85.gif

Last edited:
PIVOT and counter

Rampage was really good utilizing the monkey defence against combos and returning fire with a counter.

Back