What noncombat sport's athletes transition well into MMA.

Mystic Mac Miller

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
You can't boxing or wrestling or BJJ since they are combat sports.

However, what sports have athletes that could transition well into MMA?

I guess pro wrestlers and American football players have done ok. Although, these are violent sports, so maybe not what you're looking for?

I'm just thinking of sports that require similar physical demands and attributes to those of combat sports...Rugby, maybe?? They sort of seem like better conditioned, tougher, and P4P stronger football players.

Although, combat sports, especially striking sports, are so unlike any other conventional sport. Being good at any particular non-combat sport doesn't guarantee any sort of success in combat sports.

Last edited:
I guess pro wrestlers and American football players have done ok. Although, these are violent sports, so maybe not what you're looking for?

I don't think pro football players transition that well into MMA. IMO, football rewards you for small explosive plays but not for going the distance. I can easily see them gassing out.

I don't think pro football players transition that well into MMA. IMO, football rewards you for small explosive plays but not for going the distance. I can easily see them gassing out.
Well, these guys are HW, so stamina not much of a concern. There have been some NFL players that have done OK like Matt Mitrione, Brendan Schaub, Herschel Walker etc.

WWE has brock, CM punk and jack swagger

yaknow i feel like jack swagger could have been a decent fighter if he got started earlier.

football (soccer) and basketball give you insane footwork, hands-eye coordination, balance and sense of "rhytm" in motion

look at jose aldo (soccer), conor mcgregor (soccer), anderson silva (soccer) omalley (both)

also breakdancing / dancing will help (adesanya)

Ice Hockey. Tremendous cardio and stamina, durable, and already are used to taking big hits and punches. Most don't care about teeth until they retire.

Steve Bosse was doing alright and was looking forward to his fight with Cannonier, but he was pretty pissed at the UFC for shafting him and hasn't fought since.

Back