What is Your Favourite Decade For Entertainment (Movies, Television, Music)

Almost wanna say the 70s just because I love Columbo and Sanford & Son so much but I grew up in the 80s/90s so my bias wins out. Also, TV peaked in the early 2000s really and has gone to shit in the age of social media.

TV: Kids in the Hall, Cheers. Married With Children, and all the cartoons
Film: The Shining, Airplane!, Blade Runner, The Thing, The Terminator, Blue Velvet, Robocop, Predator, Beetle Juice, Indiana Jones, could go all day really.
Music: Nick Cave, The Smiths, Kate Bush, Tom Waits, Pixies, Talking Heads

Last edited:
Music 80s:
Metallica: Master Of puppets/RTL/Justice
GNR: Appetite
Van Halen: DD/1984/5150
Run DMC: Debut/Raising Hell/King of Rock
Slick Rick-Childrens Story
Def Lep-Pyromania/Hysteria

Movies 80s:
Die Hard
Back To The Future
ET
The Terminator
Aliens
Raiders
Empire Strikes Back
Coming To America
Gremlins
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket/Platoon

TV: Now for hour long shows.
The Haunting of Hill House
Sherlock
Stranger Things
Dark
GOT
TWD
Kingdom

70s/8s/90s for Sitcoms all tied:
Cheers
Threes Company
All In The Family
Sanford and Son
Friends
King Of Queens
Seinfeld

You really wanna compare rasslin nowadays to the Monday Night War?

Wrestling sure that was better in the 90's but beyond that TV improved almost everywhere else. While movies took a nose drive.

While the 80s had more movies I liked overall if we’re doing a cumulative ranking of which decade had entertainment I liked the most then it would be the 1990s easily.

Movies:
T2 Judgment Day
The Matrix
Jurassic Park
Pulp Fiction
Total Recall
Goodfellas
True Lies
Independence Day
The Fugitive
Home Alone
Dumb & Dumber
Etc.

Music:
Snoop Dogg
Ice Cube
Dr Dre
Wu-Tang Clan
Biggie
2Pac
Etc.

Shows:
Seinfeld
Beavis and Butthead
Simpsons in its prime
Star Trek TNG in its prime
Star Trek DS9
Babylon 5
Friends
Fresh Prince
Family Matters (fuck you, I liked this show)
Etc.

Wrestling:
Attitude era
Monday night wars

Video games:
Doom
Quake
Duke Nukem 3D
Unreal
X-Com
X-Wing
Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo
Sonic the Hedgehog
Streets of Rage
Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye 64
Etc.

I don't have a favorite decade. The closest I could isolate it would be to say that my favorite entertainment spans from the 70s till present day. The 90s till meow probably encapsulates a lot of my favorites as I grew up in the 90s, about '96 to the mid 2000s captures some of my favorite/most impactful games, anime, and music, but there's a lot of great stuff I've discovered since and am still discovering.

My favorite shows from the 90s that I could still enjoy are Deep Space 9 and probably Voyager.

Movies, probably Blade, The Matrix, Bad Boys.

Video games would be X-Wing, Lemmings, Crash 2, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII.

In the early/mid 2000s Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo I adore, KOTOR 1 & 2 I enjoy as much or more than any games in the 90s, same with FFX.

A lot of the music I listened to then I don't as much meow. That said, The Prodigy holds up.

The Lord of The Rings trilogy, Gladiator.

Doom 2016/Eternal I'd put against anything I grew up with. Same with Witcher 3, Baldur's Gate 3, etc. The Expanse is recent and super great. The first few seasons of GoT, HoTD, so forth.

So yeah. Best I can do. No particular decade.

80s. Many of the 70s acts like Heart, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, Tina Turner, Don Henley and Glenn Frey etc. were still active and releasing some of their best stuff.

80s had the best movies
90s had the best TV shows
Mid 60s to late 70s had the best music

Lol you listed some seriously lame TV shows. Truth is that TV is far better now than it has ever been.

Movies and music? Yeah maybe not
I hear this a lot but I really don't, except for few exceptions, here any talk about newer shows they like they did in past.

1.) The 80s.
2.) The 90s.
3.) The 2000s.

The music of the 90s was awesome.
Idk about movies. There have been some great movies in every decade, except maybe the 2020s.

TV, probably the oughts.

I hear this a lot but I really don't, except for few exceptions, here any talk about newer shows they like they did in past.
I’m not sure what you mean, like water cooler talk? There’s been quite a few like that. Game of Thrones, Squid Games, Stranger Things, Walking Dead just off the top of my head we’re all shows people talked about and were cultural phenomenas. The quality of the shows has also risen drastically since the 2000s began. Shows are like cinema quality these days. There’s so many good ones it’s almost pointless to name them like that.

Back