What is your favorite BJJ / martial arts saying?

Oldguy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Mine is …

“Take the move your opponent gives you, not the one you want to take.”

Rickson 1993

… you could make this your motto for all of life.

Last edited:
In all seriousness and despite being a very cheesy movie, Miyagi's pep talk to Danielsan in KKIII is awesome and just makes me tear up. OK lose to opponent, must not lose to fear!

Last edited:
"Very effective is o-goshi"
- Igor Yakimov

IMG_0926.jpeg

giphy.gif

"I don't care if you had a baseball bat in your hands, if you can claim to have defeated Georges St Pierre I consider you a badass."

-Frank Trigg in his lead up to the Serra fight.

Come to think of it, Serra has a bunch of gems. Like:

"People say it was a lucky punch...well, I'm pretty sure it was him I was aiming for so I don't know how you can call that lucky..."

Travis Lutter is the Michael Jordan of BJJ

"He accidentally hit his head against mine, and I got dizzy. I moved backwards, he punched me and I fell. That head was practically an accidental knockout."

- Roger Gracie

740full-king-mo.jpg

Sometimes you're the nail sometimes you're the hammer.

"Above all, such sports as judo, in my view, teach people to relate to each other. They teach us to respect a partner, teach us to understand that an externally weak partner can not only put up worthy resistance, but, if you relax and take too much for granted, may even win."

- Vladimir Putin

''Why would you ignore 50% of the body''

Danaher yapping about what Dean Lister said to him even if it was the only time in his life he saw him. Sometimes, just one sentence, from a man you only encounter once and to never see him again can have an astronomical effect on your life, bigger than you could imagine... (this can continue for a couple dozen sentences in the most monotone tone you can imagine)

''Why would you ignore 50% of the body''

Danaher yapping about what Dean Lister said to him even if it was the only time in his life he saw him. Sometimes, just one sentence, from a man you only encounter once and to never see him again can have an astronomical effect on your life, bigger than you could imagine... (this can continue for a couple dozen sentences in the most monotone tone you can imagine)
The "50% of the body" discussion actually started long before that. It pretty much began in modern BJJ as a back and forth between Eddie Bravo and Ken Shamrock when at the time Eddie discounted leg locks. I need to find a good quote from that conversation.

"Man who catch fly with chopstick, accomplish anything.”
I'm still not sure I understand the significance of this entire scene. Why is Daniel able to catch the fly when his master has been unable to for his lifetime?

Back