What is the purpose of a speed bag?

tommy_joe20

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
My coach always said it was to improve hand eye coordination, but I always found the floor to ceiling bag to do this much more effectively.
I found it similar to skipping and getting into a rhythm, but at least skipping improves footwork and keeps you on your toes. What does the speedbag do to improve your technique in the ring?

i wondered that for years, i learned it, but like most people, i did it because i thought that's what i was supposed to do. some fighters say it's to help keep your arms up, that sounds kinda silly, so i'd go with it conditioning your eyes to see a blur coming at you, i guess, best i can figure is it helps with defense too, because punches coming at you rely on your ability to first see them before you can do anything unless your doing drilled defense moves. so i guess i does sharpen your eyes. I'm still not sure what it does though, i know you look cool doing it, i remember the mma'rs used to hate to see me do it, or at least it seemed that way, cuz they couldn't do it. I guess, like a lot of things though, we learn things incidentally just by doing. I heard a trainer describe how he would teach beginners simple things like touching their nose or what have you and rubbing their stomach or something, to teach basic coordination. I never thought about those things when i was doing them but I realized I did learn them, like jumping rope for instance, just think of the coordination that goes into that, i really hardly remember learning it but i must have went through a process where i failed many times before i got it. so, without knowing, i'm learning to do one thing with my hands, another with my feet, gaining spring in my step, conditioning my cardiovascular system.

Last edited:
i wondered that for years, i learned it, but like most people, i did it because i thought that's what i was supposed to do. some fighters say it's to help keep your arms up, that sounds kinda silly, so i'd go with it conditioning your eyes to see a blur coming at you, i guess, best i can figure is it helps with defense too, because punches coming at you rely on your ability to first see them before you can do anything unless your doing drilled defense moves. so i guess i doesn't sharpen your eyes. I'm still not sure what it does though, i know you look cool doing it, i remember the mma'rs used to hate to see me do it, or at least it seemed that way, cuz they couldn't do it. I guess, like a lot of things though, we learn things incidentally just by doing. I heard a trainer describe how he would teach beginners simple things like touching their nose or what have you and rubbing their stomach or something, to teach basic coordination. I never thought about those things when i was doing them but I realized I did learn them, like jumping rope for instance, just think of the coordination that goes into that, i really hardly remember learning it but i must have went through a process where i failed many times before i got it. so, without knowing, i'm learning to do one thing with my hands, another with my feet, gaining spring in my step, conditioning my cardiovascular system.
The only thing I can think of is that it allows you to keep your hands high while training cardiovascular. I could always do it but it just seemed so pointless, like I wouldn't even get tired doing it. Still looks cool as fuck though

So much of boxing is pure ritual. Youtube the benefits of speedbags and every trainer will tell you something different. Some say its hand eye coordination, others will say its conditioning arms to stay up, i've seen timing and rythym as the explanation. It might help, but the pros cant explain why. I suspect it doesnt help all that much.

When my son started boxing, he said it made his shoulders feel like jello after 3 minutes and so did all of his little friends. I think it's a partly ritual thing and partly conditioning.

It takes some time to get used to but once you get down, I don't think it helps with hand eye coordination.

When my son started boxing, he said it made his shoulders feel like jello after 3 minutes and so did all of his little friends. I think it's a partly ritual thing and partly conditioning.

It takes some time to get used to but once you get down, I don't think it helps with hand eye coordination.
To be fair when you start serious training of any muscle group, it burns. But the speed bag just feels unnatural when you look at fighting physics. No foot movement, hands above your head, throwing a punch you never throw in the ring. At least with the floor to ceiling bag you have to avoid incoming shots, weave, use footwork and maintain your defence. Yes it works your lats, but so does a wide grip pull down. Like a few have said earlier it feels ritualistic more than anything

I think it can have a lot of different benefits, but none of them are going to be so pronounced on their own. It's not a physically difficult exercise though so there's no reason it can't simply be done in addition to other things. It's not an either you do the speed bag, or you use the floor to ceiling bag etc, you can do both without problem.

So much of boxing is pure ritual. Youtube the benefits of speedbags and every trainer will tell you something different. Some say its hand eye coordination, others will say its conditioning arms to stay up, i've seen timing and rythym as the explanation. It might help, but the pros cant explain why. I suspect it doesnt help all that much.

So much of boxing is pure ritual? Okay, you've claimed speed bags... now how about you tackle that "so much" part of the sport that is also "pure ritual".

Caveat: speed bag can still have a purpose despite the fact that others disagree over its actual practical application... which means it's not pure ritual

So much of boxing is pure ritual? Okay, you've claimed speed bags... now how about you tackle that "so much" part of the sport that is also "pure ritual".

Caveat: speed bag can still have a purpose despite the fact that others disagree over its actual practical application... which means it's not pure ritual
Hard sparring......is that pure ritual? Getting beat in the stomach with medicine balls to condition your abs, road running for cardio when less stressfull exercises are proven to prolong joints. Come on now, in today's age where sports science is a proven fact, are we not aloud to question outdated training methods?

And you still haven't told me the speed bags "practical application"

My coach always said it was to improve hand eye coordination, but I always found the floor to ceiling bag to do this much more effectively.
I found it similar to skipping and getting into a rhythm, but at least skipping improves footwork and keeps you on your toes. What does the speedbag do to improve your technique in the ring?
It also helps you to get used to putting your weight on your proper foot when punching.

To be fair when you start serious training of any muscle group, it burns. But the speed bag just feels unnatural when you look at fighting physics. No foot movement, hands above your head, throwing a punch you never throw in the ring. At least with the floor to ceiling bag you have to avoid incoming shots, weave, use footwork and maintain your defence. Yes it works your lats, but so does a wide grip pull down. Like a few have said earlier it feels ritualistic more than anything
You don't move your feet but you shift your weight around as you punch.

It also helps you to get used to putting your weight on your proper foot when punching.
It doesn't matter what foot you're putting your weight on because you're not using your lead hand effectively

The only thing I can think of is that it allows you to keep your hands high while training cardiovascular. I could always do it but it just seemed so pointless, like I wouldn't even get tired doing it. Still looks cool as fuck though
i meant it does sharpen your eyes, i said it doesn't sorry. cardio is part of the reason, a good workout is 3 rounds shadowboxing, 3 rounds on the heavybag, three skipping rope and three on the speedbag, all together it's a pretty thourough workout.

It doesn't matter what foot you're putting your weight on because you're not using your lead hand effectively
Do you use the speed bag without shifting your weight as you punch?

I didn't like to use the speed bag much but what it helped me with was throwing combinations with power. Others' mileage may vary.

i was taught to alternate the weight and move my legs, i could jump up and down while i did it, maybe that has something to do with it.

Do you use the speed bag without shifting your weight as you punch?

I didn't like to use the speed bag much but what it helped me with was throwing combinations with power. Others' mileage may vary.
Honestly I could do the speedbag for 10 minute's without moving my legs or breaking a sweat. What combinations were you throwing on the bag? Definitely not a jab or hook to the body....

And you still haven't told me the speed bags "practical application"

Still haven't? Never said I would.
I said that because others may disagree what it's purpose is doesn't mean there isn't something practical with it.
Providing conditioning, which helps in boxing, isn't pure ritual.

Honestly I could do the speedbag for 10 minute's without moving my legs or breaking a sweat. What combinations were you throwing on the bag? Definitely not a jab or hook to the body....
that's right, that's why they get you to skip when you hit it I think, of course it's good for coordination too because it's not easy when you start out. Before you know it you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed.

It's timine and like another poster said you're supposed to lightly shift your weight. My routine was going to 10 on each hand, then 9, then 8 etc til 1, then I'd go up to 20 and down alternating, then I'd switch it up maybe left left right repeat switch and just change it up. It has a purpose.

Back