What injuries have you sustained from BJJ?

Steveston

Lion's Den
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky (knock on wood) that the only injury I have ever sustained is a sprained ankle.
What have you guys injured from training?
-UniqueSteez.

Last edited:
Four meniscus tears, hip arthritis, a couple sprained wrists, various strained neck muscles, and innumerable sprained fingers.

Torn meniscus, separated shoulder. Hurt my back at the gym and competed in bjj tourney, diagnosed with bulging disk 48 hours later.

hmm, I dislocated a knee, bruised a rib and had a fair amount of partial tears in my shoulders and my knees. Nothing major. I'd say I got off pretty easy for total of about 5 non-consecutive years on the mat.

Hammer Finger
Separated rib (that sucks)
Busted Toes

Pretty minor

Judo on the other hand................................

Elbow dislocation. Sprained knee. Popped knee.

Spinal

nothing serious... yet

Busted elbow I never got officially diagnosed. Slight meniscus tear. Some weird shoulder thing also never diagnosed. Strained groin. Busted toe. Many other minor dings.

Scratched eyeball - had to drive home from the gym practically blind as occasionally my eye would tear up, my vision would go blurry, then firey pain making me squint.

Neck injury - a white belt tried to guillotine, was actually a bad neck crank. Couldnt even turn my head for like 2 days... that was over 4 years aho and my neck still isnt the same... I can only pop my neck one way now.

Knee injury - drilling kimura sweeps with a big guy, while taking him over his body weight came down on the side of my knee.. that was over a year ago and its still a little stiff.

Wrist injury - popped the joint or a tendon on my wrist (pinkie side) finishing an ezekiel choke

Thumb injury - scissor swept someone and they drove their weight forward onto the proximal joint of my thumb, with an audible pop. It was about 2 months ago and still hurts.

Rib injury - had someone in an omoplata, he stepped across to defend so I shifted under and swept him, but he had a metal knee replacement and he tried to sprawl to stop me, it cracked the cartilage and seperated at my 5th rib. Im currently recovering from this one, been out a full month and its killing me... still hurts like a bitch and the worst injury ive had by far.

Only two months into jiu-jitsu. Skinned my knees a few weeks back rolling really hard. Kept going to class and just bandaged them but they're better now. I'm going to be wearing compression pants whenever I roll no gi from now on.

I'll take whatever injuries I get though. I can't sit still and I'm 25 so I'm sure I won't be able to rest until my body is beaten up and broken. When that day comes I'd rather know I beat myself up doing combat sports then just lifting for the sake of lifting or some other high risk activity. Hopefully the lifting will keep injuries at a minimum though.

I guess I'm lucky (knock on wood) that the only injury I have ever sustained is a sprained ankle.
What have you guys injured from training?
-UniqueSteez.
broken/cracked ribs (many)
broken humerus
torn acl/meniscus
sprained fingers

all of them but the ACL/meniscus in the first year i started training when i was soft and weak.

Aggravated my already sub-par lower back, left LCL keeps on clicking & sprained right wrist atm. I don't think I could train BJJ regularly now. I might pull out off next month's tournament.

Sprained wrist and my neck hasn't been the same since I got caught in a neck crank when I didn't know how to properly defend it back in probably 2010. I can't afford to get it looked at so it's whatever. Otherwise just the usual bumps and bruises.

Once I accepted I was a hobbyist and not a competitor training for worlds, I did the following:
- tapped to whitebelt meatheads muscling my neck
- went hard only with people I trusted
- tapped when I was caught in joint locks (will fight chokes till bitter end)
- stopped letting myself get stacked

I've been fortunate to only have the normal wear and tear. Prior, I had a hyper flexed neck, busted ribs and a shoulder surgery.

Train smart, pick the people you want to go hard with and you'll be fine.

Scratched eyeball - had to drive home from the gym practically blind as occasionally my eye would tear up, my vision would go blurry, then firey pain making me squint.

Neck injury - a white belt tried to guillotine, was actually a bad neck crank. Couldnt even turn my head for like 2 days... that was over 4 years aho and my neck still isnt the same... I can only pop my neck one way now.

Knee injury - drilling kimura sweeps with a big guy, while taking him over his body weight came down on the side of my knee.. that was over a year ago and its still a little stiff.

Wrist injury - popped the joint or a tendon on my wrist (pinkie side) finishing an ezekiel choke

Thumb injury - scissor swept someone and they drove their weight forward onto the proximal joint of my thumb, with an audible pop. It was about 2 months ago and still hurts.

Rib injury - had someone in an omoplata, he stepped across to defend so I shifted under and swept him, but he had a metal knee replacement and he tried to sprawl to stop me, it cracked the cartilage and seperated at my 5th rib. Im currently recovering from this one, been out a full month and its killing me... still hurts like a bitch and the worst injury ive had by far.

How did the eyeball heal? Eye injury in BJJ is one of my biggest fears.

Swollen shoulder tendon, got it slamming my shoulder on the mat doing something stupid in the start of July and it is nearly coming right now. If it is the only injury I get doing BJJ specifically I will count myself lucky.

Back