What if wsof bought some timeslots on spike tv

Da Bombers

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
lets just say spike sold them some timeslots for whatever reason just like pbc. Do you think wsof could do just as good if not better numbers than bellator? And would it be fun for the fans?

They would lose money.
What if wsof doesn't get the tv deal they are looking for right now and think it may be worth a gamble to pay spike to stay on tv and go all out for this time trying to do big ratings and get big attention to attract that better tv deal. It's a long con gamble for this new investor basically

maybe if they make Shamrock vs Gracie
Bellators been doing 500-650k lately. I wouldnt be surprised at all if a gaethje or marlon morales title fight with some hype and trash talking behind it did better plus the fact it's something new (on spike with a potential rivalry angle with bellator) might have extra people curiously tuning in

What if wsof doesn't get the tv deal they are looking for right now and think it may be worth a gamble to pay spike to stay on tv and go all out for this time trying to do big ratings and get big attention to attract that better tv deal. It's a long con gamble for this new investor basically
Mo? Is that you?

It doesn't make sense to pay the network that owns one of your rivals. I don't even know if Spike would allow it, as it would dilute their own product with the extra mma programming. Only way WSOF ends up on Spike is Viacom purchasing WSOF outright, which might happen. I think Bellator could use the infusion of superstars from WSOF, which would create a jolt for them. They are doing well, so they might not be interested in purchasing another promotion. I would rather see the talent gets absorbed into Bellator than into the UFC.

It doesn't make sense to pay the network that owns one of your rivals. I don't even know if Spike would allow it, as it would dilute their own product with the extra mma programming. Only way WSOF ends up on Spike is Viacom purchasing WSOF outright, which might happen. I think Bellator could use the infusion of superstars from WSOF, which would create a jolt for them. They are doing well, so they might not be interested in purchasing another promotion. I would rather see the talent gets absorbed into Bellator than into the UFC.
I think spike would benefit from this arrangement in that it they would get paid $ while putting a lot of pressure on bellator to start producing plus the competition between the 2 orgs may bring more attention and interest to spike (especially from mma fans which they are trying to target anyways). Would spike even care if wsof got a boost from this or would they be happy enough as long as bellator got a boost, their channel got a boost, and they got paid

@Jerky1312 I don't see it as diluting either. I saw it as adding the element of intense competition between the two. Also, as far as paying the people who own your competitor not making sense, it's more about wsof trying to build themselves up and this may be the best way to do it. It's not like if bellator dies they will suddenly get all their viewers.

Last edited:
Spike executives would drain the WSOF roster just like they did with Bellator.

Branch? Ivanov? Foster? Who needs 'em. Hire 2-3 overpaid ex-UFC guys to make up for 50 percent of the damn roster.

Spike executives would drain the WSOF roster just like they did with Bellator.

Branch? Ivanov? Foster? Who needs 'em. Hire 2-3 overpaid ex-UFC guys to make up for 50 percent of the damn roster.
I'm no expert, but I think wsof just pays for the timeslot while keeping control of whatever they put on. Spike has no say in the matchmaking, direction, or anything. Wsof stays in control of the roster etc.

Tuf paid to get on tv like this, same with pbc boxing more recently

I'm no expert, but I think wsof just pays for the timeslot while keeping control of whatever they put on. Spike has no say in the matchmaking, direction, or anything. Wsof stays in control of the roster etc.

Tuf paid to get on tv like this, same with pbc boxing more recently
Scott Coker would tell you different. Do you really think Coker would put Kimbo Slice in the main event over Patricio Pitbull? Coker also wasn't responsible for the firing of Sean Wheelock. If Spike had no say in what goes on in Bellator, Bjorn Rebney would still be there. Its Chou's matchmaking that gives his regime a bad name.

They replaced him with Coker because he is a pushover and they could have their way with him in charge.

Scott Coker would tell you different. Do you really think Coker would put Kimbo Slice in the main event over Patricio Pitbull? Coker also wasn't responsible for the firing of Sean Wheelock. If Spike had no say in what goes on in Bellator, Bjorn Rebney would still be there.
Viacom purchased bellator from bjorn, it's theirs to do whatever they want with. Viacom hired Coker to do what they need to get done, coker owns nothing. Wsof paying spike for timeslots is different

Edit: I know tuf and pbc bought timeslots with spike, but maybe a better example is infomercials. Let's pretend you started up a brown ranger toy business, let's call them brown Ranglers so you don't get sued. We have some women and children putting them together in the garage but now we need to sell them. The manager at Walmart won't carry them in his store, and after some rough calculations we decide it's not a good idea to lease a storefront to sell them. They haven't been selling much on Craigslist either.

So we do an infomercial. A 2 hour long movie hyping these brown wranglers as the best toy of all time. We pay some sherdogger (with weed) from the multimedia section to film and edit this, and some kids from the bjj school to play with the toys as though it's super fun.

We then take that footage and pay a tv station to play it. As long as it's not illegal or offensive and our cheque clears, they are cool with this. We have the rights to re sell commercial time during that 2 hours slot by the way, and we are trying to get miles above to pay us for some wsof gc ads. We can get 3am weekday time for $1000 or we can get Thursday night 8pm time for $50,000 and

Last edited:
Jerky1312 brought up the point that spike may buy out wsof, what if they did that and kept the 2 orgs separate and competing with each other with different management? Allowing wsof to buy those timeslots would be like getting paid for a free sample of this before having to buy anything

Sadly, if that ever happen I do think they'd do very similar ratings.

Bellator has shown outside of there biggest names the ratings don't move a whole hell of a lot. The numbers week in and week out are so eerily similar(even tape delayed events) I think a nice chunk of there ratings weekly are simply from people leaving the cable boxes on.

Does anyone actually watch Spike anymore? Dish buried it so far up their channel line up I don't even see it when I'm checking the guide. Unless someone likes Cops re-runs, they'll never see advertising on Spike. This is one of Bellators problems, though certainly not the only.

Does anyone actually watch Spike anymore? Dish buried it so far up their channel line up I don't even see it when I'm checking the guide. Unless someone likes Cops re-runs, they'll never see advertising on Spike. This is one of Bellators problems, though certainly not the only.
I watch a few shows on Spike besides Bellator. I watch PBC boxing when they have it and I like to catch new episode of Cops on Saturday evening and I also enjoy the cheesy entertainment that is Bar Rescue for example. Doesn't matter to me what channel number it is on even though I know off the top of my head that it's 241 on DirecTV. I don't watch fights or tv like a casual, because I program a season pass on my DVR to auto-record all these shows so I never miss them even if I happen to be busy.

I watch a few shows on Spike besides Bellator. I watch PBC boxing when they have it and I like to catch new episode of Cops on Saturday evening and I also enjoy the cheesy entertainment that is Bar Rescue for example. Doesn't matter to me what channel number it is on even though I know off the top of my head that it's 241 on DirecTV. I don't watch fights or tv like a casual, because I program a season pass on my DVR to auto-record all these shows so I never miss them even if I happen to be busy.
Do you also watch lip sync battle? Lol
I haven't seen anything on spike besides bellator/PBC/GLORY (when it was on spike) in so long I have no clue what the hell is on that channel anymore.

I just remember their shows were super cheesy bar rescue, tattoo battle or some shit, cops marathons everyday, and 1000 ways to die. And who could forget fight master and gym rescue. It's a wonder spike is still alive

Back