What effect did the $5k finish bonus have on this season?

Muscles82

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like most, I think this was one of the best seasons ever. The caliber of fighters were high and we got a lot of great fights. I'm curious, though, as to what effects the $5k finish bonus had? We did have a lot of finishes this season, and in most of the decisions it seemed like the fighters were going for it. I personally think it had a big effect and think it should be popped up to $10k next season. I also think there should be a finish bonus in actual UFC fights. Thoughts?

Haven't they had KO bonuses for other seasons as well? Regardless, this season was ball shatteringly more awesome than previous (the last) seasons. Higher quality guys is more like it, Uriah is probably one of the most over qualified tuffers ever.

there's been a bonus for finishes since like season 7

even in season 5 Dana gave bonuses to guys who finished fights

Damn my bad I didn't know there were finishing bonuses in other seasons. Do you guys think they should be in UFC fights as well?

Damn my bad I didn't know there were finishing bonuses in other seasons. Do you guys think they should be in UFC fights as well?

They do. It's called locker room bonuses.

The UFC ought to have a 5k finish bonus as an official bonus for UFC events (except make it, say, 10k). Well, minus DQ's (unless someone pulled something really dickish; like Paul Daley, except actually a DQ).

To answer the question, I'm not sure what effect the bonus had on fighters in general, but this season, it was very clear that there was a need to win. Even though the judging was great this season, these guys really wanted to win. The bonuses may be a big reason for that, if not the fear of all of them being cut by the UFC like all of the TUF 16 cast (with 4 [now 3] exceptions).
Haven't they had KO bonuses for other seasons as well? Regardless, this season was ball shatteringly more awesome than previous (the last) seasons. Higher quality guys is more like it, Uriah is probably one of the most over qualified tuffers ever.
This. The show has at least 4 guys that can hang with the UFC MW's, and probably about 4-6 addition guys that could hang around as well.

Plus, the 2 finalists are some of the best since forever. I mean, we've fairly recently had studs win the whole thing (John Dodson, Roy Nelson), but not 2 studs in the finals.

Back