Replace win bonus with finish bonus

MCDojoMMA

You are weak
@Blue
Reaction score
I know there is a performance bonus. Yet, I believe a finishbonus for every finish is better. From an entertainment standpoint, it would be much more beneficial to reward fighters more for finishing their opponents and less for simply winning. This would stimulate both fighters to finish, instead of only the losing fighter.

What do you think?

The majority of fighters are underpaid already. Replacing their win bonus with a finish bonus is a terrible idea. It's not always plain sailing to get a finish when it's mostly the best fighting the best.

Now if you'd said they keep their win bonus and have an extra finish bonus on top, and also keeping the 4+ performance bonuses, I'd agree.

Last edited:
The majority of fighters are underpaid already. Replacing their win bonus with a finish bonus is a terrible idea. It's not always plain sailing to get a finish when it's mostly the best fighting the best.

Now if you'd said they keep their win bonus and have an extra finish bonus on top, and also keeping the 4+ performance bonuses, I'd agree.
This.

You can have an awesome match. The match being awesome is more important than a finish. You can have a finish and the match sucks.

The guys at lighter weights who are less likley to have finishing power get screwed.

There should be no influence on how the fighters should fight.

I'll watch GSP 50 -45 people all day and he was one of the most popular fighters to ever fight

More money to fighters? But then whose gonna pay the NELK boys or where would Danas yard get the snow from?

Frank Mir dont deserve no bonus for koing Mirko. That match was terrible

Frank Mir dont deserve no bonus for koing Mirko. That match was terrible
That's exactly the match I thought of first for uneventful finishes.

Reactions: HHJ
I'm my opinion I don't think a finish bonus would help much and here's why. Unless the structure has changed, most fighters are on $X to show, $X to win. Getting a finish is a 100% guarantee to win. Why don't more fighters fight already like their pay depends on the win? Depending on your perspective, they either get paid half their money if they lose or they double their money with a win. Wouldn't you always want to win to get the maximum pay possible? Yet we still see fighters not going for it. They know they're down on the cards or they maintain a boring pace even to a 5 round decision. If they were truly motivated by pay alone they would try to be dominant and finish as much as possible. But we very often don't see that.

Here's another perspective. What if they are someone making 100k/100k but the finish bonus is 60k? They fight like a wild man trying to get that covetted 60Gs baby, but they get knocked out in the process. Suddenly they went from a potential $260,000 payout down to $100,000. Was it worth it? Just something to think about.

More Venom coupons and a discount on Toyo tires (buy 3, get 1 free)!!

I know there is a performance bonus. Yet, I believe a finishbonus for every finish is better. From an entertainment standpoint, it would be much more beneficial to reward fighters more for finishing their opponents and less for simply winning. This would stimulate both fighters to finish, instead of only the losing fighter.

What do you think?
Agree. I wonder if a fighter could negotiate something like that. If say the offer is 50/50.
He comes back with 75 show and 50 finish. Like betting on himself a little more

I don't know, man.
Do we fans really want fighters to make less if they're unable to finish their opponent?

Remember that "it takes two to tango." You could end up with scenarios in which one opponent runs the whole fight while getting UD'd. It shouldn't affect the bottom line for the guy/girl who was attempting to engage for the entire bout.

This seems like the best way to reward fighters for seeking finishes.

Of course it'll have a bigger effect on up and comers' bank accoutns; but more finishes will likely get the more casual fans more excited to see these "no name" contenders.

Definitely a "more is better" scenario.

Back