What does it feel like to be in the ring/octagon?

Like death lurks, in your shadow.

A bit nervous getting in there
But if you enjoy fighting
Then when the bell rings
It's time to have fun

But I'm guessing it's a lot different when it's live on tv and in front of thousands

But usually when the bell rings and the punches are thrown
Any butterflies will be gone

I wouldnt know, but I would think it depends on the individual.

I'd bet a lot of people that are very focused/stressed/scared experience some type of tunnel vision. While others, take everything in, and enjoy the experience.

I boxed intercollegiately...albeit over 30 years ago, now.

We wore headgear, of course, and the boxing gloves were a little bit bigger than the pros. We knew we could get clobbered but not really, really hurt. Black eyes and bruising all over were common, but I don't remember a lot of blood.

It was a little nerve-wracking, but I wouldn't say really scary. I'd wonder coming up to the fight, why the hell I was doing this. I think I was more afraid of embarrassing myself than anything else.

Once the fight got underway, the nerves would be gone. I'd just be thinking about executing.

I have watched so many MMA fights and now really want to get a taste of standing in the ring/octagon. I understand to become a fighter one needs to train very hard, which is too late for me probably, so I am willing to just get in and see what a fighter would see, even only for a while. How do you do it? What does it feel like to be inside the ring/octagon?

I'm primarily a Jits guy but I fought twice in MMA just to test my skills. Both decent sized audience in Little Rock, AR and I remember prior to the fight I was very nervous. I didn't get sick but felt like I could. I'm not a noob to training nor am weak on fitness so it wasn't because I wasn't prepared but there is something about getting in the cage/ring that wrecks your nerves. Once the fight started my nerves went away and I was focused solely on the other guy (probably because he was the one who wanted to beat the hell out of me). The fight lasted 2 rounds and between round 1 and 2 I remembered I could barely hear for a few seconds between rounds and I was winded. Luckily I went out and working about 20 seconds I got a standing Gullotine and won, I was happy because just the nerves can tax your cardio. I was nervous for my other fight but got a takedown, hit mount, and then sunk in a rear naked for the win in the first so nerves didn't last too long.

I compete in IBJJF Worlds in Vegas next week and I'm battling some competition nerves but nothing like MMA. That's my experience.

Just put on your TapOut shirt...
And you know how it feels to be in the octagon and how it feels to be a fighter and a total badass!!!

Feels like being a caged animal.

I imagine it wouldn't feel much different then being locked in a cage with a Lion or Bear that hasn't been fed in a few days.

Haha, that is scary and makes me want to try it more now, but I guess there's no way there's gonna be a real fighter in there with me, I'm just a fan anyway.

Last edited:
A bit nervous getting in there
But if you enjoy fighting
Then when the bell rings
It's time to have fun

But I'm guessing it's a lot different when it's live on tv and in front of thousands

But usually when the bell rings and the punches are thrown
Any butterflies will be gone

Here comes the experience from the fighter. Thank you so much for sharing. Appreciated!!

I wouldnt know, but I would think it depends on the individual.

I'd bet a lot of people that are very focused/stressed/scared experience some type of tunnel vision. While others, take everything in, and enjoy the experience.

I probably will get back to you if I am ever there. :)

I boxed intercollegiately...albeit over 30 years ago, now.

We wore headgear, of course, and the boxing gloves were a little bit bigger than the pros. We knew we could get clobbered but not really, really hurt. Black eyes and bruising all over were common, but I don't remember a lot of blood.

It was a little nerve-wracking, but I wouldn't say really scary. I'd wonder coming up to the fight, why the hell I was doing this. I think I was more afraid of embarrassing myself than anything else.

Once the fight got underway, the nerves would be gone. I'd just be thinking about executing.

Thanks! Another fighter's experience. That's really a calm thing to do not to get nervous and think about executing the game plan.

I'm primarily a Jits guy but I fought twice in MMA just to test my skills. Both decent sized audience in Little Rock, AR and I remember prior to the fight I was very nervous. I didn't get sick but felt like I could. I'm not a noob to training nor am weak on fitness so it wasn't because I wasn't prepared but there is something about getting in the cage/ring that wrecks your nerves. Once the fight started my nerves went away and I was focused solely on the other guy (probably because he was the one who wanted to beat the hell out of me). The fight lasted 2 rounds and between round 1 and 2 I remembered I could barely hear for a few seconds between rounds and I was winded. Luckily I went out and working about 20 seconds I got a standing Gullotine and won, I was happy because just the nerves can tax your cardio. I was nervous for my other fight but got a takedown, hit mount, and then sunk in a rear naked for the win in the first so nerves didn't last too long.

I compete in IBJJF Worlds in Vegas next week and I'm battling some competition nerves but nothing like MMA. That's my experience.

Thank you so so much for sharing!! I always wonder what it's like for the fighters. If it's okay can you PM me your fight videos or post them here? Reading your narrative really enables me to see what a fighter might experience in the right. All the nerves go away as long as the fight commences.

Just put on your TapOut shirt...
And you know how it feels to be in the octagon and how it feels to be a fighter and a total badass!!!

Well I don't own one but think it's gonna be much easier to buy one than find a octagon/ring to go into.

In the octagon must be like jumping from a plane.. adrenaline

I know what you mean, I once had the opportunity to do a little batting practice with the Red Sox once before a game (won the chance through a charity raffle). All I've ever wanted to be was a ballplayer, I love baseball.
So its my turn, I get in the batters box, I do my little stretches, shuffle my ass, take a few cuts just like the pros did as I watched them. I'm in their and here comes the 1st pitch, ZIP! right by me, barely saw the ball. I finally got a taste of what hitting against a pro was really like, it was amazing yet scary. I waved the pitcher over for a talk (he didn't budge) and asked if he could slow it down a little. He stared me dead in the face with no response but I'm sure he heard me. I'm back in the box, readying myself. I see the wind up, the release, still saw no ball, swung as hard as I could and CRACK!!!! I opened up my eyes, dropped the bat, then to my knees. The pitch hit me RIGHT in my dick. It hurt so bad I cried. I was helped off the field to seek medical attention.
im dying over this

Here comes the experience from the fighter. Thank you so much for sharing. Appreciated!!
Well I have boxed as an amateur, so I can tell you how it is a little bit.

Forget that feeling. Anyone here know what it's like to be inside a ring/octogon girl?

heyo.

Back