• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do you think about Chinese traditional medicine and herbalism?

Know very little about it. I did get acupuncture when I was having shoulder issues and had a tournament coming up. It was surprisingly helpful in the short-term.

FFIarfzX0AgB0ks.jpg

I live in Taiwan now, and some Chinese medicine procedures are actually covered by national health care and I've wrote a thread about my experience treating tension headache with acupuncture.

I think for chronic issues, there are some value to try traditional medicine if you do not respond well with standard medical practice.

Hard to trust something from a place where you have no basic human rights and are made to disappear. Not to mention the retarded mingling with various wild animals and whatever viruses they spread.

Worst cases I know of is eating babies for youth, Shark fins, importing Rhino horns and Elephant tusks.

They're the biggest reason why both animals are poached in Africa.

They can shove their Chinese medicine up their ass. Except the babies I guess.

Hard to trust something from a place where you have no basic human rights and are made to disappear. Not to mention the retarded mingling with various wild animals and whatever viruses they spread.
I didn't know the CCP invented traditional Chinese medicine, which had existed for what? thousands of years?

God you're dumb.

Worst cases I know of is eating babies for youth, Shark fins, importing Rhino horns and Elephant tusks.

They're the biggest reason why both animals are poached in Africa.

They can shove their Chinese medicine up their ass. Except the babies I guess.
<{clintugh}>

"They can shove their Chinese medicine up their ass. Except the babies I guess."

<{outtahere}>

I didn't know the CCP invented traditional Chinese medicine, which had existed for what? thousands of years?

God you're dumb.

Amen.
No connection whatsoever between the political system and medicine and historic culture.

In some instances, it has its place. But when I lived there, if I got really sick I would have to demand 'western medicine' at the hospital. No, I have tonsilitis - gargling with fucking ginger isn't gonna cure it, give me antibiotics.

Amen.
No connection whatsoever between the political system and medicine and historic culture.
It's not a thread about China unless there's some good ol' sinophobic interjection, usually neatly packaged inside the 'CcP iS bAd' and 'Chinese eat gross things' trojan horses. It's like the Pavlovian knee-jerk of the racist, they can't help expressing their boorish, ignorant, and predictable automated responses.

And I see that you're from the US. Maybe you should worry about your own country's huge.problems because it's not a first world state anymore. In many respects it has bigger issues than China.

I'm sure both Western and Eastern approaches have their benefits and one outshines the other in certain situations.

A country like Japan seems sensible enough to properly use elements of both worlds and it's not surprising that it basically leads the world in life expectancy. The Japanese live on average 8 years longer than people in the US and 6 years longer than people in China.

Something working on a rat suggest it 'may' work on humans. Plenty of things that work on rats don't pan out for us humans.

That's not the point that she was making though (that something that works on a rat will work on a human too). The point was that if it works on an animal then it can't be the placebo effect.

That's not the point that she was making though (that something that works on a rat will work on a human too). The point was that if it works on an animal then it can't be the placebo effect.
the logic doesn't follow.

We agree that something that works on a rat may not work on a human, and if something doesn't work on a human and humans believe it does work then it would be the placebo effect.

So something working on a rat doesn't rule out the placebo effect on humans.

There are some schools for it in Europe too.

So you live in China? What tends to be the professional reputation of TCM doctor s there? Do they command any occupational prestige? For instance do you hear a lot of kids that do very well in school who want to study TCM at university?
you are asking a semi complex question
here in china TCM is part of everyday life and culture.
for medical students it is the same here as trying to be any other kind of medical professional. lots of training, studying, testing and residency before becomming liscened .
here tcm is just part of the eco-system of health care. every hospital hasc a tcm centre. how it works is usually tcm is used for smaller issues and western medicinal approaches are used for bigger things (cancers).

I dont know about the schools in europe but i know the ones in the usa are bit of a joke
my buddy had to host for some students from the usa and they in his opinon were basically useless.
most fo the foreigner students here are european or south east asian.
i think if you wanna become a serious professional you would need to go to a school out here.

TCM is pretty big. There is no real blanket statement for it. It covers so many fields and specialties. Some work and some don't. The 2015 Nobel Prize for medicine winner was a Chinese lady who synthesized some compounds from herbs used in TCM. Her discovery led to the first line treatment throughout the world for some variants of malaria.

Stuff like acupuncture doesn't really work well but it's suitable to be used in conjunction with other forms of treatment. It's one of those if it works then it's cool. If it doesn't then it doesn't hurt the patient.

Last edited:
Herbs and natural medicines are far more effective than people realize. Take it from me, a genius who's here to help.

There's no simple answer because a lot of traditional medicines (Chinese or otherwise) use elements that do help and also have ended up being the basis for things in modern medicine, while there is also a load of bullshit snake oil and thinking like "That rhino's horn reminds me of a hard virile penis so though it's not actually anything like that and is akin to a giant fingernail let's kill off an endangered species so some old fuckers will think they can get to bonin' their lady again."
It can be difficult to cull the bs from the stuff that works when it becomes too intertwined and just saying traditional Chinese medicine is a generality that covers both the good and bad so you can't be mad when people talk about the bad.

I have no idea why the o.p. asked the question though when he's combative with everyone that doesn't have an opinion he agrees with. You don't win anyone over like that, you just need to be chill and say "you should check out this or that, maybe it will change your mind that some things can work and can perhaps complement western medicine". You shouldn't start a thread when you're that defensive dude.

Back