What do boxing fans think about His Excellency Turki Al Sheikh

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
(Timestamped)

He pretty much sat down the cutthroat businessmen and OG promoters of boxing, told them they're his toys, and they sat like schoolkids and answered "yes, my Liege !".

Embarrassing, tbh.

Bonus video:

He's making the fights that weren't being made before, but if this keeps up we'll get to a point when big fights will be even rarer due to boxers holding out for Saudi money. I'm not gonna get into Saudi politics because this is a boxing forum.

I hope the well isn't going to get spoiled. Last thing boxing needs is if Saudi's get bored of funding every boxing fight, that boxers simply won't fight anymore.

Someone close to the Big Money leaders, put in a position to invest and try to clean the image of the country through big events (promoting tourism) and outshine their fellow middle eastern neighbors.

They don’t only invest in boxing … it’s Golf, soccer, car racing, mma, concerts, you name it … let’s wait and see for how long they will do this … that’s the real question

Turki told Ngannou to his face that he wanted to see him stopped. Now I can get behind that. Hopefully Joshua ends this whole crossover spectacle. It appears that's what he's counting on.

[timestamped]

Last edited:
It's bad. makes the sport seem shallow and all about the money. If only we could go back to the Mayweather era when it was all about the love of the sport and not money. boxing has become a sport that's all about people fighting for a prize. This prizefightng has to stop.

It's bad. makes the sport seem shallow and all about the money. If only we could go back to the Mayweather era when it was all about the love of the sport and not money. boxing has become a sport that's all about people fighting for a prize. This prizefightng has to stop.
The 'Money' Mayweather era is what started all of this modern businessman nonsense.

in all seriosness my main concern is that sport becomes so reliant on them that it might implode without them. I'm not sure if he is really dedicated to boxing in the same Dana was for MMA or if he will just move on. I really haven't seen him put this much interest in other sports they are reaching out to

I thought my sarcasm would be obvious
Not really because there were two versions of Floyd. Pretty Boy Floyd didn't prioritize money as highly as he did later on when he became Money May. He was more about legacy.

Not really because there were two versions of Floyd. Pretty Boy Floyd didn't prioritize money as highly as he did later on when he became Money May. He was more about legacy.
oh whatever,
more so the reference to complaining about prize fighting in boxing. I should have been a bit more blatant and applauded their willingness to engage in the best fights available without delay for the good of the sport.

oh whatever,
more so the reference to complaining about prize fighting in boxing. I should have been a bit more blatant and applauded their willingness to engage in the best fights available without delay for the good of the sport.
It makes sense to build some fights. I have no problem with that. It's just that they delay it for too long. Once peak interest has passed that only damages the fight's market value. We shouldn't have had to wait 5+ years for Bud vs Spence or Beterbiev vs Bivol. Those fights are/were worth less when they were finally made (the latter is in the process of being made).

The issue now is that all of these fighters want to be paid like May & Pac. Except they're not Floyd Mayweather or Pac. They're lucky that the Saudis are throwing them life changing money. Who knows how long it'll last though. Unfortunately it will likely create more divas in the sport as a consequence.

He's making the fights that weren't being made before, but if this keeps up we'll get to a point when big fights will be even rarer due to boxers holding out for Saudi money. I'm not gonna get into Saudi politics because this is a boxing forum.
I'm still going to watch the fights. If I wasn't going to watch on moral grounds, I might as well watch nothing.

Last edited:
Back