Media What did you make of the backflip that landed a shin to Potieras chin?

Its illegal, period.
Its kicking a downed opponent in the head.
Since im a proponent of soccer kicks and kicking a downed opponent I can't really complain, but it is in fact illegal by the current rules.
This is pretty much exactly where I stand on this thing.

A) That was AWESOME.

B) It SHOULD be legal and downed knees/kicks make the game more exciting and make positions like north south WAY more dangerous.

C) but the fact remains that it is not legal.

Its illegal, period.
Its kicking a downed opponent in the head.
Since im a proponent of soccer kicks and kicking a downed opponent I can't really complain, but it is in fact illegal by the current rules.

It's not a kick, so no, it is not illegal.

Your leg touching someones head on the ground is not a kick. It's incidental contact. No referee would call that a soccer kick.

Neither the impact nor intent is similar to kicking an opponent to the head.

It's not a kick, so no, it is not illegal. It is not like soccer kicking someone in the head, not even close.

Your leg touching someones head on the ground is not a kick. It's incidental contact. No referee would call that a soccer kick.
Impacting someone by crashing your knee/shin into their head  is a kick/knee

Last edited:
I think it should be legal anyway. I honestly think it primarily landed on the shoulder/neck area anyway.

A knee is not a kick. Are grounded knees to the head legal?

No, because it says explicitly that a knee to the head of a grounded opponent is legal. I wasn't the person who mentioned "kicking downed opponents" originally either, so I am pointing out it clearly isn't a kick to a downed opponent.

Michel did not "knee" his head. Not being able to knee someone is not the same thing as saying your knee can never touch someones neck or head.

On another note, the "knee/kick/whatever illegal maneuver we're pretending this was" did not even damage him, he was stunned from the punch. His body moved on the ground because a 200 pound man jumped on him.

It's ridiculous that people are even talking about this. Neither the impact or intent were that of kneeing or kicking a downed opponent, hence why it wasn't called a knee or a kick to a downed opponent.

No, because it says explicitly that a knee to the head of a grounded opponent is legal. I wasn't the person who mentioned "kicking downed opponents" originally either, so I am pointing out it clearly isn't a kick to a downed opponent.

Michel did not "knee" his head. Not being able to knee someone is not the same thing as saying your knee can never touch someones neck or head.

The knee did not even damage him, he was stunned from the punch. His body moved on the ground because a 200 pound man jumped on him.

It's ridiculous that people are even talking about this.
I don't even think Potieria got hurt by the punch. I think if anything he was off balance from the kick he was throwing. He threw his legs up immediately but your claim almost makes it sound like he was laying still in a daze until Pereira backflipped on him. There was a small sequence between hitting the ground and Michel deciding to backflip.

Either way, this was more than a "touch". It was a knee that traveled from head height down into Potieria's head. It was an accidental bump during a scramble. Sorry, but this is a straight, blatant knee drop to a grounded opponent even if it wasn't the intention. It's not exactly the same as being hit behind the head during a striking exchange. You can argue that it should be legal moving forward but for decades it's been illegal in the UFC.

Last edited:
It hits him in the neck/side of head which is still illegal tbh sir.
I think it lands on the chest, neck is off limits too? Anyway, my main take on it is that he needs to stop, got away with it twice, it will lead to him getting DQ'd eventually.

No issue. Pereira was gonna destroy him either way

Reactions: HHJ
ITT: fans of the sport who think you can fully Hulk Hogan leg drop someone's face because hitting someone with your leg isn't "a kick"

Flips should be a more dominant part of the sport
Fighters should know how to flip, forwards and backwards

It's ridiculous that people are even talking about this. Neither the impact or intent were that of kneeing or kicking a downed opponent, hence why it wasn't called a knee or a kick to a downed opponent.
The fact you keep bringing up intention makes most of what you're arguing ridiculous. Or that getting fouled needs to be more fouly in order to be a foul

The impact clearly was kneeing/kicking a downed opponent.

It means you can't be  struck by their knee, and he was. It's a knee strike

Last edited:
In his 2nd, or third UFC fight he did a backflip and his foot came down on the guy’s face. Pretty much the definition of a “stomp”, imo.

I was a little surprised he did that weird side flip last night. It was risky, which is something he hasn’t been for several fights in a row.

It’s awesome to watch. When he first came to the UFC. I honestly thought he was the most entertaining fighter I’d ever seen in the UFC.

I just hope if he does anything like that again.. That he doesn’t get a DQ. Could you imagine pulling off some crazy shit, and getting DQ’d in a title fight?

It comes down to distinguishing between an intentional foul, an unintentional foul, and incidental contact.

All three involve a prohibited occurrence (e.g., knee to head of grounded opponent), with the difference relating to the culpability of the person whose knee landed...but in all three cases, the ref should call a halt to the action.

I think it is relatively clear in this case that it was incidental contact, with the intention of the move being to pass guard and gain favourable position.

I think it lands on the chest, neck is off limits too? Anyway, my main take on it is that he needs to stop, got away with it twice, it will lead to him getting DQ'd eventually.
Yes sir, I absolutely agree that the juice is going to run out of squeeze with that dumb shit lol.

It should have been either a point deduction and re-start the fight on the feet, or a DQ. The commission should overturn this "win" and change it as a DQ loss.

I know a lot of people want knees/kicks to downed opponent legalised, but until it's actually legal you can't just just allow them to do it anyway with no consequence. Both fighters have agreed to fight under the rules and he's blatantly disregarded the rules with this stupid move that is inevitably going to lead to landing on an opponents head a decent % of the time.

I've seen some people claiming it didn't land to the head, these people are just flat out lying. The leg has quite a large surface area so it's very easy for it to land on more than one body part at once. Part of the leg lands to the chest/clavicle area but he definitely eats a very hard shot to the face too.

He didn’t strike a grounded opponent in the head. It was incidental contact
This might be the most dishonest argument I've ever seen. He has absolutely no control over where the strike is going to land and it has a fairly high percentage chance that a part of the leg/knee/foot will make contact with the head/face. If you're going to do such a reckless move you can't say "whoopsie" when the it lands on the face.

Back