What constitutes good padwork?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What constitutes good padwork, and what would poor padwork look and feel like? I have ideas and opinions of my own, but tell it to me like I'm stupid, okay?
<{MindBrown}>

Imo it’s active coaching and doing padwork for specific purposes. If I’m hitting combos just to hit I rather go on the bag honestly.

The worst is pads for cardio imo

Not a set routine, its active like Biscuits said, has some elements like sparring, and its specifically tailored for you. Padholder is on point able to match your speed and there's no inconsistencies along with timing right with your speed.

If its basically hit with a prescribed combination, you might as well do bagwork

If you are new the best padwork will be the one with corrections to your technique.

1st video vs 2nd video

pad holding is 1) a form of coaching and 2) a seperate are in of itself. Thus your coach should be holding pads not other students, as its the coaches job to coach. This isnt to say that a student cannot be a good pad holder, myself and many other fighters from the gym know how to hold pads, but we should be hitting them not punching them. anyways, generally speaking most gyms have students holding pads for eachother, most the time the pad holder/student doesnt know wtf they are doing, and when the pad holder doesnt know what they are doing, it is the blind leading the blind........watering down of muay thai in america.

long story short as everyone has already mentioned, it should be interactive, meaning working both offense, defense, counters, etc. almost like sparring with your pad holder.

Back