What Are You Listening To? (Vol.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
51B5KxKD7NL.jpg

Ulrich Roth's finest moments, but really all his early Scorps is. I don't care what anyone says, he is the father of what we now call neoclassical guitar. Of course, Blackmore was almost there, and I understand he preceded him, but he was just a touch sloppier, less fluid (Uli makes it look ridiculously easy) and still too steeped in the blues, and still locked in "the box" at times, whereas, Roth is sweeping, precise, musically "correct" for want of a better word, his vibrato was ahead of it's time, and he utilized the entire fretboard more fully. Really, a lot of Deep Purple more classical passages are organ driven. Same with Rainbow. Still, Blackmore ranks up there with him.

been listening to damien jurado’s “ghost of david” album a lot lately. a bleak, modern folk album along the lines of sufjan’s “carrie and lowell” or springsteen’s “nebraska” resembling the latter far more. i’ve had liquid liquid’s set of ep’s in rotation a lot as well. no wave pioneers with a dance heavy sound utilizing african drums to go with their post-punk vocals and lyricism. think talking heads’ “remain in light” meets the chemical brothers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back