What are the best cardio workouts if you have a back problem?

TimeToTrain

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
My back starts to ache after jogging for a mile and I don't get tired. I want to have really good stamina but don't know what are the most effective ways. I only know of biking and seldomly go on the elliptical.

Any other ways?

sounds to me like you have a weak lower back and it's your weakest link and it's giveing out on you..... i would sudgest a workout you can do 3 days a week and will strengthen up you lower back pretty fast .... stand with your feet apart a fairly wide stance ... bend down touch the floor only using your lower back to bend keep your legs straight and try to keep goo posuture..... touch the floor stand back up then reach down touch your left foot ... back up then touch center again.... then reah down touch right foot... then center .... just keep repeating that process for 25 reps to start with .... aim for 3-4 sets of this each workout ... it's a great workout for people with weak lower backs ... even for guys who are in great shape it's a good workout just add more reps dependig on your level of fitness .. hope that helps ... i could be wrong it could be as simple as the way your landing on your feet while running or the shoe's your wearing ...

did you have any back injury or something? if not, I'd suggest heeding ashford's advice and strengthening your back first.

also, are you slouching when you run? keep your head up, back straight and almost like you're puffing your chest out.

invest in a good core program

if youre interested i can post one i think is good, and doesnt require weights

invest in a good core program

if youre interested i can post one i think is good, and doesnt require weights

sure i'm interested

and you're correct on the lower back problem ashley...i think i have a herniated disc

sounds to me like you have a weak lower back and it's your weakest link and it's giveing out on you..... i would sudgest a workout you can do 3 days a week and will strengthen up you lower back pretty fast .... stand with your feet apart a fairly wide stance ... bend down touch the floor only using your lower back to bend keep your legs straight and try to keep goo posuture..... touch the floor stand back up then reach down touch your left foot ... back up then touch center again.... then reah down touch right foot... then center .... just keep repeating that process for 25 reps to start with .... aim for 3-4 sets of this each workout ... it's a great workout for people with weak lower backs ... even for guys who are in great shape it's a good workout just add more reps dependig on your level of fitness .. hope that helps ... i could be wrong it could be as simple as the way your landing on your feet while running or the shoe's your wearing ...
Will try this I'm having issues with a tired lower back after I punch and kick the bags despite a good warm up etc

My back starts to ache after jogging for a mile and I don't get tired. I want to have really good stamina but don't know what are the most effective ways. I only know of biking and seldomly go on the elliptical.

Any other ways?
I'd highly recommend trying jumping rope. The impact is relatively low compared to running and is a killer overall cardio workout. Also helps with footwork and coordination, and should be helpful for your posture.

imo consult with some professionals [doctors, chiropractors, competent movement coaches, etc.] to help you deal with your back problem rather than trying to work around it.

Will try this I'm having issues with a tired lower back after I punch and kick the bags despite a good warm up etc

It's worth getting pro help. It could just as easily be your glutes ain't firing and your lower back is taking up the strain.

Whatever cardio you can do in the absence of pain. You might try stepmills, arc trainers, swimming, recumbent bikes, etc.

I got grade one Spondy. So long distance running is a literal pain. I find sled pushing and Tabata sprints don't aggravate my back.

YMMV

Skipping.
Spin bike.
Swimming.
Incline treadmill walking.
Assaut bike (lower intensity).
Stair climbing.

There's a whole load of things you can do. It all comes down to seeing what does and doesn't affect you negatively. Work with a doctor or physio to find what your specific issues are, and what motor patterns might or might not affect the issue. In addition to that, it would be more beneficial to find out what to do to be able to improve the actual injury itself so you don't have to keep working around it.

Lol @ 2009 thread. The search function actually works apparently.

Back