What archetype fighter do you perceive me as?

conceptfighter0432

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Posted this video here previously looking for feedback on my spar. But based upon this video, what type of fighter do you see me as being? Counter, aggressive, etc.

I’m asking because I plan on studying other fighters that share the same approach so that I can improve.

I feel that my approach is similar to Canelo.

Which guy are you?
And don't worry about who you look like, just be yourself and work on everything to be the best you can be.

I like the little defensive moves and feints before and after you punch or when your opponent attacks(i think you posted before so i'm assuming you're in the white gloves). You seem to have a well rounded boxers mentality. I did see some counter attempts in there and also some combination punching when you did open up. Canelo is a good guy to watch but i'd also recommend JMM for these type of qualities.

I perceive you as being a novice (which there is nothing wrong with) and that comparisons between you and world class fighters (whose styles will have changed dramatically from their early formation years to how they are now) are completely pointless. Saying you have a similar approach to Canelo is like a monkey hitting a piano and then comparing it to Beethoven.

I perceive you as being a novice (which there is nothing wrong with) and that comparisons between you and world class fighters (whose styles will have changed dramatically from their early formation years to how they are now) are completely pointless. Saying you have a similar approach to Canelo is like a monkey hitting a piano and then comparing it to Beethoven.

Lmfao ok

My bad guy with white gloves
OK...you have promise. Not sure how old you are, but you move well. Sometimes I believe you are "acting" like the kind of boxer you want to be rather than doing the the things you can be very effective at. I don't really see you as a counter boxer. But it's clear in watching, you want to be. Man you're long, pretty athletic and can put together a nice jab if executed right. I see a jab like Jermain Taylor if you get your feet right and keep your "D" up for the guy that comes ovver the top behind the jab. Taylor in my opinion had one of the most effective jabs in modern boxing. Or maybe an ODLH (who never used it enough). Don't let your crutch be wanting to do something else you "want" to do rather than recognizing what should be "your shit". I read a lot of raw Canelo comparisons, but that's why you're trying to fight like him, you're a fan (nothing wrong with that). The testament to that is you're athletic enough to almost pull it off an borderline mimic his stuff. But seriously, get good a trainer, get your feet right and commit to letting the jab be your introduction and your statement to your opponent, keep a nice guard and let the counters come when they come, instead of looking for them the way you do now. Then come over the top behind the long jab and you'll start starching cats. Really....... Forget EVERYTHING you want to do and READ the other guy and do what makes sense. The moment you stop trying to emulate someone is the moment you find you own identity.

OK...you have promise. Not sure how old you are, but you move well. Sometimes I believe you are "acting" like the kind of boxer you want to be rather than doing the the things you can be very effective at. I don't really see you as a counter boxer. But it's clear in watching, you want to be. Man you're long, pretty athletic and can put together a nice jab if executed right. I see a jab like Jermain Taylor if you get your feet right and keep your "D" up for the guy that comes ovver the top behind the jab. Taylor in my opinion had one of the most effective jabs in modern boxing. Or maybe an ODLH (who never used it enough). Don't let your crutch be wanting to do something else you "want" to do rather than recognizing what should be "your shit". I read a lot of raw Canelo comparisons, but that's why you're trying to fight like him, you're a fan (nothing wrong with that). The testament to that is you're athletic enough to almost pull it off an borderline mimic his stuff. But seriously, get good a trainer, get your feet right and commit to letting the jab be your introduction and your statement to your opponent, keep a nice guard and let the counters come when they come, instead of looking for them the way you do now. Then come over the top behind the long jab and you'll start starching cats. Really....... Forget EVERYTHING you want to do and READ the other guy and do what makes sense. The moment you stop trying to emulate someone is the moment you find you own identity.

This is the latest reply of all time, and I'm not even sure if you still visit this website, but I seriously want to say thank you for this comment. I'm still up and at it boxing, and this comment is very very helpful. Thank you for this, and I hope you are doing well.

I'm not a certified trainer or a pro fighter but I'd be glad to give my opinion. I have trained and sparred in boxing for years as a hobbyist and if you were one of my friends in the gym my advice would be:
Things I don't like
- Stance is a bit wide, which can actually make it harder to move effectively and cause you to lunge.
- Instead of moving straight back after an attack, pivot out to one side or the other (like you did at .35 seconds, and your opponent had nothing there to counter). Make your opponent have to constantly reset. At .14 seconds you got caught for staying in too long.
- I usually don't like keeping the left hand dropped so low but it's a style thing and a lot of guys use it to bait their opponent. Just be careful of getting timed and keep your chin tucked in.
- Move your head more.
- Don't cross your feet. If you move right, right foot goes first. If you're moving left, left foot goes first. (Ideally)

Like @nastyleft said, you're rangy and ODLH would be someone I'd tell you to watch as well. Body type and stance are similar, but he's right that you wanna develop your own style. You definitely have the makings of someone who could be impressive if they tighten up their technical game. Props for putting yourself out there and asking for critiques.

I like the little defensive moves and feints before and after you punch or when your opponent attacks(i think you posted before so i'm assuming you're in the white gloves). You seem to have a well rounded boxers mentality. I did see some counter attempts in there and also some combination punching when you did open up. Canelo is a good guy to watch but i'd also recommend JMM for these type of qualities.

Problem with Marquez is he was too willing to take some to give some. Canelo and Floyd are the guys to look at when it comes to counter punching, IMO.

Hahaha nice analogy dude!

This is the latest reply of all time, and I'm not even sure if you still visit this website, but I seriously want to say thank you for this comment. I'm still up and at it boxing, and this comment is very very helpful. Thank you for this, and I hope you are doing well.

As others have said, be your own fighter dude. You generally fall in to a style that suits your physical size and capabilities. A good coach should base your style around your strengths and advantages over other fighters. I’ve no doubt you’ll turn in to a good boxer if you do that, rather than trying to fight like elite level fighters

athletic, good length. one thing i noticed is that you have rashad evans syndrome. you move your head a lot when punches aren’t being thrown then when punches come at you, you freeze. something to work on but i like the precision of your right hand. throw that more. jab the body more as well.

can’t fit you into some sort of archetype though. just eat clean, watch your own tape, and keep training. look to other fighters for inspiration in the gym, not to model yourself after.

If I HAD to, I'd say Austin Trout... definitely NOT Canelo.

Movement is good, speed and reflexes are decent, jab is dog shit. Honestly, it looks like you've done a lot of work already, and if you were a house I'd say you have "good bones". Keep up the good work, and why the fuck is the dude sparring you wearing a hoodie?? He had some crafty movement in there and you did well IMO.

I'm not a certified trainer or a pro fighter but I'd be glad to give my opinion. I have trained and sparred in boxing for years as a hobbyist and if you were one of my friends in the gym my advice would be:
Things I don't like
- Stance is a bit wide, which can actually make it harder to move effectively and cause you to lunge.
- Instead of moving straight back after an attack, pivot out to one side or the other (like you did at .35 seconds, and your opponent had nothing there to counter). Make your opponent have to constantly reset. At .14 seconds you got caught for staying in too long.
- I usually don't like keeping the left hand dropped so low but it's a style thing and a lot of guys use it to bait their opponent. Just be careful of getting timed and keep your chin tucked in.
- Move your head more.
- Don't cross your feet. If you move right, right foot goes first. If you're moving left, left foot goes first. (Ideally)

Like @nastyleft said, you're rangy and ODLH would be someone I'd tell you to watch as well. Body type and stance are similar, but he's right that you wanna develop your own style. You definitely have the makings of someone who could be impressive if they tighten up their technical game. Props for putting yourself out there and asking for critiques.

Cool thank you going to note that.

If I HAD to, I'd say Austin Trout... definitely NOT Canelo.

Movement is good, speed and reflexes are decent, jab is dog shit. Honestly, it looks like you've done a lot of work already, and if you were a house I'd say you have "good bones". Keep up the good work, and why the fuck is the dude sparring you wearing a hoodie?? He had some crafty movement in there and you did well IMO.
Going to work on the jab and I don't know really he just showed up to the gym wearing that. He normally does not.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah I'm still around.

I want you to know he's right and said what we were all thinking. People entertain these questions to me nice but they're rather stupid and make me assume you're a teen.

Focus on your game, if you want to go further, seek out better trainers, gyms, sparring partners, take risks and advantage opportunities, be willing to put in the hours, sacrifice and work that other people are not. Never spend a second doubting yourself, value awareness and become as student of the game.

Also an extremely disciplined diet and to not strength and conditioning never hurt anyone. The path to success isn't a secret but being smart, disciplined, brave and obsessed can get you further than anyone else would probably ever expect.

Back