What 375 million people will have to do when robots take their jobs

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

By 2030, as many as 375 million workers—or 14% of the global workforce—could be useless in their jobs, thanks to automation.

That figure comes from the McKinsey Global Institute, which released a report today (Nov. 29) looking at the displacement that automation will cause in the near future. Research analysts from the consultancy firm estimate that somewhere between 400 million and 800 million people will find themselves in need of new jobs as automation and machine learning creep into industries all over the world. Of that number, McKinsey suggests 375 million will have to switch occupational categories entirely.

https://qz.com/1140364/as-automation-hits-375-million-people-will-have-to-change-careers-entirely/

So I know that 2030 might sound like a long time away, but that is only 12 years away.

Think on that for a minute. In the next 12 years the US is projected to lose 32 million jobs to automation, and that is just the tip of the iceberg for what is to come.

Articles like this, tend to paint a picture of labor workers, going to tech schools and stem to fill the need for all the new tech jobs automation will create. Well color me skeptical, but I think I have heard this one before. Something about all the tech jobs that were coming to replace our manufacturing jobs. We got Starbucks and wal-mart jobs instead, the very jobs most easily replaced by automation.

What say you WR, is 32 million high, low, about right?

Will we magically create 32 million tech jobs to replace those lost to automation?

Can capitalism in the US withstand losing 32 million jobs in 12 years, and as a low estimate 50 million over the next 20 years?

Please paint me a picture of how 32 million jobs is going to be replaced.

Discuss.......

Nicoya Tesla believed that automation would lead to an intellectual revolution because more people would be free to pursue intellectual pursuits.

Doesn't sound very realistic now though

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

We need to start discussing Universal wage and how to properly tax corporations especially ones that are primarily mechanized in lieu of a Workforce

I say we guillotine the excessively wealthy.

I can’t see capitalism holding up in the next 50 years.

Elect Donald Trump Jr. on his platform of deporting all the robots back to Mexico and building an even taller wall.

Last edited:
Nicoya Tesla believed that automation would lead to an intellectual revolution because more people would be free to pursue intellectual pursuits.

Doesn't sound very realistic now though

Lmao the average person has such shallow short terms goals..

Intellectual pursuits for most people consist of keeping up with shit reality shows, sports, and debating pointless politics in the War Room.

Anyway, these machines and computer programs (to run the machines) will require operators and programmers, respectively. I wonder if the article touched on this...I was too lazy to read.

By 2030, as many as 375 million workers—or 14% of the global workforce—could be useless in their jobs, thanks to automation.

That figure comes from the McKinsey Global Institute, which released a report today (Nov. 29) looking at the displacement that automation will cause in the near future. Research analysts from the consultancy firm estimate that somewhere between 400 million and 800 million people will find themselves in need of new jobs as automation and machine learning creep into industries all over the world. Of that number, McKinsey suggests 375 million will have to switch occupational categories entirely.

https://qz.com/1140364/as-automation-hits-375-million-people-will-have-to-change-careers-entirely/

So I know that 2030 might sound like a long time away, but that is only 12 years away.

Think on that for a minute. In the next 12 years the US is projected to lose 32 million jobs to automation, and that is just the tip of the iceberg for what is to come.

Articles like this, tend to paint a picture of labor workers, going to tech schools and stem to fill the need for all the new tech jobs automation will create. Well color me skeptical, but I think I have heard this one before. Something about all the tech jobs that were coming to replace our manufacturing jobs. We got Starbucks and wal-mart jobs instead, the very jobs most easily replaced by automation.

What say you WR, is 32 million high, low, about right?

Will we magically create 32 million tech jobs to replace those lost to automation?

Can capitalism in the US withstand losing 32 million jobs in 12 years, and as a low estimate 50 million over the next 20 years?

Please paint me a picture of how 32 million jobs is going to be replaced.

Discuss.......

hi VivaRevolution,

i think those jobs could possibly be replaced.

i picture alot of simple tasks that maybe a robot could not do - or could do, but would be cost inefficient to do. simple, menial tasks where the people would be paid the bare minimum.

eventually, i figure that some kind of mechanism would be put in place where the fruits of corporate earnings would be spread out amongst the common folk (which would be most of us) - just enough to make life tolerable.

what other end is there?

- IGIT

Intellectual pursuits for most people consist of keeping up with shit reality shows, sports, and debating pointless politics in the War Room.

Anyway, these machines and computer programs (to run the machines) will require operators and programmers, respectively. I wonder if the article touched on this...I was too lazy to read.

You require techs also. Im a tech (programming and electrical). The article is talking about the number of reduced operator types that will be needed.

As someone who designs automation solutions, life is looking pretty good for me

Of those jobs lost, how many are added for designing and maintenance and sale on the bots? Also job manufacturing the bots as well as the circuitry for them?

I don’t think the net jobs lost to automation will be near as bad as people think, and that those job owners who don’t transfer to the other side will have to shift into the ever expanding service industry

hi PoundForPound, nice to meet you!

i wonder...

all those ATM machines that replaced bank tellers...did the design, manufacturing, and tech jobs created by the ATM machines outweigh the job losses that the bank tellers suffered?

maybe they did.

i am not sure, though.

- IGIT

I just happened to read a biography and although I thought his idea was unrealistic because it put too much faith in humanity, I was really impressed that someone that early on (this was when electricity was first being invented) was even considering this future problem

We need to start discussing Universal wage and how to properly tax corporations especially ones that are primarily mechanized in lieu of a Workforce

Yeah trust the government to give you your bread crumbs.... pathetic

hi PoundForPound, nice to meet you!

i wonder...

all those ATM machines that replaced bank tellers...did the design, manufacturing, and tech jobs created by the ATM machines outweigh the job losses that the bank tellers suffered?

maybe they did.

i am not sure, though.

- IGIT

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell haha

I have not run the numbers on that, but that's a good point. Though banks still use both: tellers and ATMs... jobs will be lost, but certainly also created somehow. I'm looking for a place to fit in the system once I'm done with my degree.

I just happened to read a biography and although I thought his idea was unrealistic because it put too much faith in humanity, I was really impressed that someone that early on (this was when electricity was first being invented) was even considering this future problem

Some people are true visionaries.

I do wonder if people are given more freedom (financially and temporal) to do what they want, will they actually chase something worthy. I'm a realist, and I think a small percentage actually want to carry humanity to the next level. Most people are fine with just breeding and eating.

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell haha

I have not run the numbers on that, but that's a good point. Though banks still use both: tellers and ATMs... jobs will be lost, but certainly also created somehow. I'm looking for a place to fit in the system once I'm done with my degree.

hello again PoundForPound,

i wasn't being sarcastic, i was just musing about it.

i get that some bank tellers lost their jobs, but how much did those jobs pay and how many jobs were lost, exactly?...and were the jobs created by the "ATM machine industry" better paying than those bank telling jobs?

and finally, what was the aggregate number jobs lost/gained number at the end of the day?

i'm not too worried about technical advances eliminating the need for human labor; afterall, this has been going on since that primate wielded the bone in 2001...

- IGIT

Last edited:
Back