News Well that was quick! Red Lobster closings

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Monday Morning Red Lobster announced that it was closing several restaurants immediately. Nobody even notified the employees as many showed up for work Monday. Thursday there were online auctions for the the entire contents of many of them. It seemed a strange way to do it. They could probably have gotten a lot more money selling individual items and having a little more notice. The conditions also contributed to there not being many bidders. The full amount had to be paid at the end of the auction, which is pretty standard but everything had to be removed from the location today. That would be difficult to organize on such short notice. The auction was supposed to end at 12:30 PM for the store in La Crosse Wisconsin. The Bid was $11,100 at 12:30 but they extended the bidding an additional 20 minutes and took 21 more bids ending at $15,000. This was one of the highest bids. Other restaurants contents sold for as low a $2,000. It seems strange that they didn't sell the restaurants as a package but maybe they lease the buildings.

I don't know how the auction was set up, but if they announced an ending time for bids, they could get sued.

One online auction that I have participated in were set up to run for a certain time but the time would be extended if another bid came in. They had a countdown timer but I never watched the auctions live. You could enter a bid at the maximum you would pay and they would enter the bids in the order they were received and if your bid was higher they would increase the previous bid by the minimum bid amount for that item. If they got another bid they would increase mine by the minimum amount again until my maximum was reached. Then they would send me a email saying I had been outbid and how much time was left. I always figured they would run it to my maximum but they seemed to do as they said. I bought several items. Some at the maximum bid and some lower. I even got a couple at the minimum bid.

There was another local restaurant that shut down a few years back. They had an online auction for items or groups of items and I think you could bid for three days. I think they brought in around $70,000 then the buyers had 2 weeks to pick up the items.

You were able to bid on individual items?

I thought the auctions were for the entire contents of the closing restaurants. I assumed they were happy to narrow their prospective buyers to other corporations with the pockets to handle that because it meant expediting the liquidation of their holdings through bulk sales.

But but, what about the cheddar biscuits?
MANNN, they ARE the ultimate in ANY biscuit ANYWHERE !
TheTickG said: They apparently sell them at all supermarkets.

Have seen their biscuit box mix before, never tried to make them.​

Last edited:
You were able to bid on individual items?

I thought the auctions were for the entire contents of the closing restaurants. I assumed they were happy to narrow their prospective buyers to other corporations with the pockets to handle that because it meant expediting the liquidation of their holdings through bulk sales.

The Red Lobster auctions were for the entire contents of individual restaurants. There was a different local restaurant that closed in 2018 that sold individual lots of equipment.

Selling everything and requiring it be picked up the day after the auction really limited the number of bidders who might be interested in the equipment.

Oh no, I hope it doesn’t close in Edmonton. I haven’t been in about 3 years but I love that place.

The Red Lobster auctions were for the entire contents of individual restaurants. There was a different local restaurant that closed in 2018 that sold individual lots of equipment.

Selling everything and requiring it be picked up the day after the auction really limited the number of bidders who might be interested in the equipment.
Yeah, that's what I meant. You had to buy everything from an individual franchise. I'm sure a ton of restaurants would have loved to pick up a fridge, freezer, broiler, fryer, oven, etc.

But the whole shebang? Tables & chairs maybe, too? Nobody but someone who wants to turn around and sell all that off at a markup would be interested.

I wonder if these were sold in bankruptcy so creditors that had loaned money to a restaurant had to buy the contents at auction.

Oh no, I hope it doesn’t close in Edmonton. I haven’t been in about 3 years but I love that place.
People like you caused this. Haven't been in 3 years? What did you think would happen?

That's like saying "I love my teenaged daughter even though I haven't seen or spoken to her in 3 years because I've been busy traveling the world researching groundhogs and banging Boise dimes" only to find out she became an only fans model and stripper the day she turned 18.

I've been trawling through all these seafood puns and and I have to say this is very shellfish of you all. Lots of people are going to lose their jobs. This is neither the time nor the plaice.

Back