Weighted sit ups

SuperLuigi

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Hey guys. I switched from regular sit ups to weighted sit ups recently and have had some interesting results. When I first started I used 35 lbs and was able to do sets of 10 fairly easily. Next time I switched to 60 lbs and got through 1 set before I couldn't even get a single rep after that. I dont have the weights do slowly add weight between those two weights, so I tried mixing sets with weight from both. However, this hasn't worked well as I have found that doing the 60s really messes with following reps. I will do 3 reps of 60 then switch to 35 and I can barely lift the 35 at all. I will get like 1-2 more reps. The simple solution is to just buy more weights, but I thought I would ask you folks if you had any advice for tackling this workout. Any anecdotes, past experiences, etc. are welcome. Cheers!

I like decline weight situps...bigger rom and i like using density sets with them

Stick with the 60# and do less reps per set, but more sets.

See how that works for you.

You can try doing the less weight by holding the weight behind your head. Or holding the weight above your head straight out or close to. Legs straight situps, twisting situps, work on Russian twists, V-ups with the weight between your feet.. You can be creative and kick your ass with just a 25lbs dumbbell.

Ultimately though I think more reps vs more weight with ab work. There's a reason why not to many guys are "maxing" on weighted situps. Maybe someone here does. I like to think I am fairly strong and I have never used more than 45lbs plate for weighted ab exercises.

Hey guys, just thought I would give you an update. My plan worked. The mixed sets became easier within a few workouts and from there I transitioned to full 60 lbs even faster. Unfortunately at 12% body fat the abs still aren't really visible. Looks like I will have to sacrifice my delicious burritos to go down to 10% lol

Back