Weight cut

Thomas bentley

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im 6,2 and my normal weight is about 165 to 170lbs. Im 16 years old and i would like to cut to 145 pounds to fight. I can lose weight very easily. I allways wanted to fight at 145 i feel thats my best weight class but what do you guys recomend for me.
Im not really sure what weight i should cut to.

Hi guys,
Im 6,2 and my normal weight is about 165 to 170lbs. Im 16 years old and i would like to cut to 145 pounds to fight. I can lose weight very easily. I allways wanted to fight at 145 i feel thats my best weight class but what do you guys recomend for me.
Im not really sure what weight i should cut to.
If its your first time, do a test cut of 6-8lbs. Don't look for the big 15-20lb cut yet. For future reference, you don't want to be doing big cuts 3-4x a year (ammy/pro averages at 3-4 fights a year) for a long career, its not good on your kidneys.
Imagine having an ammy career of 20 fights and you've done big cuts all the time. That's 5-6 years of heavy strain on your kidneys every 3-4 months.

At your age I think its better to bulk up and take advantage of your hormones which you won't be able to have once you get past your 20s. With your height, I think you can manage to get to 180-185 decently without much fat.

Really at your height you can be fine with any weight class. I'd say aim for 155.

I'm 5-11 and 170 lean, so I'm blown away by your weight goal of 145. I would say 170-145 weight cut at your age is not good. It's just my opinion, but at your age I would bulk and gain muscle. Cowboy Cerrone is 6'2 and his weight at a young age, was 155. Tony Ferguson fits that too. Id go with 155.

I'm going to sound old man'ish. I'm 28 now, and it's hard to explain... but you truly don't know what your calling will be at 16. My intent is not to offend, but I hope that you will chose to train and not fight until you reach at least the age of 18. I don't know your situation, but i hope you find happiness in whatever you do. by the way.... Welcome to Sherdog.

just eat healthily and train. don't need to purpose lose weight. you are young, you have the capacity to train u.

I recently made a video that teaches fighters how to cut weight. Hope it helps. If you like it please watch the others :)

I'd listen to the guys above.

A lion doesn't cut weight to fight house cats. Eat, train, find your absolute peak weight and then fight real near it.

you better have good kicks if you wanna fight that skinny

Back