Weigh ins 2 hours before the fight will be implemented in a Russian Promotion

Noxcho18

kb
@purple
Reaction score
BYE (Berkut Young Eagles) is a Russian promotion that is a "farm league" to ACB. Their best fighters get signed with ACB and fighters who are on a losing streak in ACB get a chance to rebound in BYE.

The promoter Mairbek Khasiev has decided that in 2019 Berkut will implement a different weigh in system where the fighters has to be on weight 2 hours before the fight.

Here is what he said on Instagram (rough translation from Russian):

mairbek_khasiev ♦ ️For the whole of your conscious life, out of 100% of my decisions, 90% were accepted relying on intuition and only 10% of common sense! Opinion among the fighters, lovers of MMA, and also in my environment was divided, and yet we decided that from the first BYE tournament in 2019 apply the weighing option 2 hours before the fight! Time will tell which of us was right and who is not, but I know for certain that this will save the fighters from exhausting scales and level their chances ♦ ️

What do you guys think about this? Personally i prefer the current one and dont think this is a good idea.

This is the way it should be in all MMA Orgs. Fighters should fight at their natural walk around weight.

I like this Idea.

But I am not sure how the fighters will react to this, especially when in every other promotion they would fight 1-2 weigthclasses lower.

And will there be the same tolerance in terms of weight class ? I could imagine that it can be stressfull when you have to reach a certain weight 2 hours befor the fight, especially for guys between 155 and 170.

Btw. can't imagine that flyweight would still exist with this new implementation.

People say it won't work because they will still cut weight. But I really doubt that happens. Maybe people try it once and realize how bad of an idea it is.

We see the condition of a lot of fighters during weigh-ins. Any ~10-15 pound weight advantage is far negated by the fact that they would not make it one round in that state.

Good. That is the way it should be.

Fight at your "walk around" weight.

good to trial this in a smaller organization. Let's see how it works out.

Is a promoting disaster waiting to happen. Maybe not everyone cuts, but some still will. One person comes in not fully rehydrated and it could be a disaster. Not to mention what if someone misses weight? You got two hours to sort it out.

Not a fan at all, not all will cut But you know damn well some will. And it is going to be a huge risk.

This ain't a guarantee of this happening, though.

It is. How will they rehydrate in 2 hours?

Not to mention what if someone misses weight? You got two hours to sort it out.

I think they won't sort it out, they'll just cancel the fight.
This is a promotion for young fighters who have a chance to prove themselves. Missing weight will probably give them boot from ACB, and they do not want that

People say it won't work because they will still cut weight. But I really doubt that happens. Maybe people try it once and realize how bad of an idea it is.

We see the condition of a lot of fighters during weigh-ins. Any ~10-15 pound weight advantage is far negated by the fact that they would not make it one round in that state.
Exactly. A fighter will try cutting once, understand it's absolutely impossible to rehydrate in 2hrs and move up a weight class.

The only impact is that 90% of the roster moves up a weight class AND is in much better shape on fight day because they don't have to cut anything. It's a WIN - WIN!!

I think it's fair to point out that not everyone only has 2hrs. These events go on for like what, over 6 hours? That leaves a lot more leeway for those at the top of the card.

I think this is some kind of bs, fighters will be very drain before the fight.

Imagine this happening back in thiago alves prime. Poor little 5'9 alves would have to fight lhws

I like same day weight in, but 2 hours? Fighters fighting with a full stomach is a bad idea.

Last edited:
I guess we'll see someone puking on their opponent from full guard at some point
1291372414_mma-fighter-vomits.gif

I would make them hit the scale when they they enter the ring/cage. Be at the weight you're announced, or leave 50% of your purse and mandatory moving up a weightclass the next fight

Back