Wealthy Families Enslaved Mental Patients

Wolveswithkeys

something awful
@red
Reaction score
Not your typical current events thread. Read this article today on something pretty crazy that was going on back in the early-mid 1900s. Basically a very wealthy attorney by the name of Harry B. Wolf was getting asylum inmates freed from an old Baltimore mental hospital (one that only just recently closed) and basically having them come work as servants in his home. I use the term "work" loosely, as they weren't being paid. Wolf did this by himself for a bit, but soon offered the service to other people in his close circle of friends.

The article describes how all this was done seemingly legally right under everyone's noses. It goes on to describe what they went through while "working" in the homes of these wealthy families, and also where they ended up after the families eventually got rid of them for new ones (which was apparently quite common).

Baltimore's Rosewood Scandal

It's a very interesting read. Anyone here wonder if this kind of thing goes on today? Or is even possible in today's society?

Oh and before anyone even starts up (you know who you guys are): This is not a CT thread to talk about wealthy elites scheming the NWO. Keep that shit out of here.

Wow, that's pathetic, smh

Another reason I hate rich people.

Also, tl;dr

That's pretty crazy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this kind of thing went on today, money talks.

Another reason I hate rich people.

Also, tl;dr

lol, you're such a hateful, bitter little man D. You really ought to get out of your mom's basement and go meet some girls or something.

That's pretty crazy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this kind of thing went on today, money talks.

I wouldn't really be surprised if it still happened but in more isolated instances. I'd be a little surprised if it occurred on the same scale as this did. Usually when some big scandal breaks on a specific topic it greatly reduces any more of it due to awareness of it. Those who end up not getting caught have to fly under the radar a little more.

I wouldn't really be surprised if it still happened but in more isolated instances. I'd be a little surprised if it occurred on the same scale as this did. Usually when some big scandal breaks on a specific topic it greatly reduces any more of it due to awareness of it. Those who end up not getting caught have to fly under the radar a little more.

Yeah definitely. You just gotta go to places where the locals don't really care. It's harder to pull that kind of stuff today for sure, but again money talks.

The rich just cant live without their slavery. Theyre still livid about it being abolished.

The rich just cant live without their slavery. Theyre still livid about it being abolished.

What's the point of being super rich if you can't crush people in the process??

Ah, those blessed "job creators". But seriously that's some messed up shit. I hope nothing like this is going on in the first world right now, but you never know. One thing I've seen of the wealthy here in Toronto is that they don't always treat those Filippina nannies very good....these poor ladies usually work for a pittance, like $300 a week or less. And get treated like shit.....every once in a while you hear about the homeowners taking their passports and treating them like slaves. And I believe it happens a lot more than we hear about.

Wow this Kanner didn't like the idea of "imbeciles" reproducing because stupidity is hereditary...what about ugliness? Cause he wasn't a looker, that's for sure.

I wonder how being institutionalized in the nut house compared.

What's the point of being super rich if you can't crush people in the process??

The rich people I know aren't tiny tyrants. Not everyone that's rich becomes a douchebag, they're not like you.

The rich people I know aren't tiny tyrants. Not everyone that's rich becomes a douchebag, they're not like you.

Read the article.

Rich is becoming synonymous with scumfuck.

I wonder how being institutionalized in the nut house compared.

According to the article they were pretty well settled and happy in the facility. Obviously it's not a glamorous life in there; but they were healthy, well fed and comfortable in their routines that they'd been in for sometimes up to 30 years. Completely unbeknownst to them Wolf was setting up a case to have them freed. Then one day they'd get summoned to court under habeas corpus and next thing they know they leave the courtroom with some rich person. That'd be scary for an institutionalized person of regular mental ability, but for someone who was mentally challenged and not completely aware of what was going on I'm sure it was much worse.

Back