Weak squats, no squat rack, tips?

thehighking

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I've been neglecting squats, they've always been my weakest exercise. I don't have access to a squat rack so I can only squat a little more than I can overhead press (I like the back squat). Any squatting tips? I'm also not sure whether I should be doing lighter weight high reps to practice the form or just lift as heavy as I can to get stronger. How long did it take you to have a decent squat?

with the parameters you've given, your squat is going to continue to be weak.

its hard to give any recommendations other than get access to a rack.

Unilateral work. Do lunges and split squats to build strength in each leg. You’ll double the resistance without having to add weight to the bar.

Front squat, goblet squats, hack squats, bulgarian split squats, lunges, and wall sits. Plenty of ways to strengthen your legs if you can't back squat.

what about jump squats? do plyos build max strength in significant quantities or only speed?

Some good advice so far! Single leg work is and option. Same with squat jumps and other jump lifts. You can substitute load with velocity, but only somewhat. It'll never be the same exactly.

Also besides doing high reps on the squat (at least if you go to fatigue you can build some mass), using isometrics is another option. You can contract near maximum voluntary contraction at different angles when you pause and by doing that at least somewhat active more motor neurons and simulate higher loads.

what about jump squats? do plyos build max strength in significant quantities or only speed?
Plyos builds power but moreso at the velocity end of the spectrum. Doubt much will transfer to max strength, although if he's untrained it might.

Back