Was there ever any consequences over this stoppage?

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm barely a boxing fan, only watching a few fights per year, so I'd appreciate any input from experienced boxing fans on this one.

This is the worst dogshit boxing stoppage I've ever seen, and I know nothing about the fight besides this clip... the fighters, the location, the story from before the fight, the fight itself... or the aftermath related to the ref... if he was thrown out of the sport or if he suffered zero consequences and is still a ref for fights today.

So what's the story?

Seems to be limited information on the aftermath, but I found the referee is listed as still being active on Boxrec and continued to referee fights in Mexico after the stoppage.

(The fight in the link was in 2015 between Aaron Herrera + Raul Hinojosa)

David Silva

Pretty sure if a fighter throws a certain amount of punches with nothing in return it's grounds to stop the fight.

I'm barely a boxing fan, only watching a few fights per year, so I'd appreciate any input from experienced boxing fans on this one.

This is the worst dogshit boxing stoppage I've ever seen, and I know nothing about the fight besides this clip... the fighters, the location, the story from before the fight, the fight itself... or the aftermath related to the ref... if he was thrown out of the sport or if he suffered zero consequences and is still a ref for fights today.

So what's the story?

so you watch most of them

Pretty sure if a fighter throws a certain amount of punches with nothing in return it's grounds to stop the fight.
You’re telling me Shakur Stevenson could have shadowboxed while staying 10 feet away from Edwin De Los Santos and the ref would have waived it off?

If the punches are actually landing and the other fighter isn't returning fire then the ref may assume that they're hurt and stop the fight ("unanswered punches"). That doesn't apply here. The guy on defense was making his opponent miss most of his shots and didn't appear to be in any trouble at all.

I don't recall this fight, what happened prior to the stoppage?

it really is, it's a bad look to do nothing. One of the best examples, a classic one anyways, was Robinson-Turpin 2. Ray had his man hurt for sure but he was missing everything, which was what Turpin was good at, a couple punches landed at the end of a fusillade and the ref stopped it. That scenario happens in the sport many times. Not all fighters know how to pretend to be ok, to hold or to think when in trouble, some are just sitting ducks and that's something that doesn't always seem that trainable. Hearns learned to clinch as he got older but it's something that would be a natural instinct for many guys.

I think the ref avoided potential consequences by waiving the fight off. Saw an opportunity to save his neck and you know something like that maybe idk

Back