Was Luger the worst wrestler to get consistent push?

Lol

Making this thread has unexpectedly turned me into a bit of a Luger fan. I didn't see that coming.

I used to strongly dislike Luger when I was a kid but now I look back and he was actually pretty good. Then again I also thought the 123 Kid was cool when I was younger so what did I know.

I can’t think of his name and I’m looking for it at the moment but I’m pretty sure he’s a referee. I’m pretty certain of that.
BradvYgCQAABjjN.jpg
think thats him on the right. WTF was he doing in there

I don't get it. I can't find much evidence that he was ever REALLY over as either a face or heel, but they guy remained a middle-upper carder his whole career basically.

What gives?
He was awesome back then, with the lex express, the narcissist, and his early wcw days, hell even his nwo were ok. Better than guys now like enzo, jindar, and a few others. Other than his miss Elizabeth ordeal. He might still be a legend of the sport

Sid was great for all the people say otherwise

Sid worse than Luger.
Historically, Whipper Billy Watson is a good answer. Not a good worker at all but the greatest Canadian draw of all time (not Bret) and NWA champion.
Wayne Munn was terrible but didn t have the long term push to be the worst.
Just to add, I love Dusty Rhodes and his work but Stampede started recognizing the AWA and Bockwinkel as champ because Stu thought there was no way in Hell the fans of the hard hitting Calgary territory would take Dusty seriously as champ. One man's diamond is another man's shit, I guess.

Sid was briefly a better character than Luger, but that's pretty much 96-97, and not a full year on either side. He wasn't great before he was Psycho Sid, and by the time he got back to WCW his character was stale, even with the big push.

Better look than Luger, better character at peak, still had similar limitations.
Sid was a bigger draw than Stone Cold and The Rock.

He was the worst. Perhaps the worst main eventer workrate wise in the history of wrestling. Real piece of shit in real life too, similar to warrior. Never learned how to work a match. Had an incredibly arresting look & intensity & rode that all the way. Luger was at least involved in some classic matches and at least TRIED to do well in the ring at times. Sid was a mess & hurt people all the time for no reason whatsoever.
Ok I've never heard anything bad about sid outside of the ring. I heard he was a good guy, but luger is a different story. He was a piece of shit to miss Elizabeth, but i still like him and think he was good wrestler .

Did he sign a really long term deal with WCW in 95? He was hanging around the upper part of the card into 99/2000, and he was involved in a bunch of big storylines. He must have done something to keep himself on top for so long.

He was the worst. Perhaps the worst main eventer workrate wise in the history of wrestling. Real piece of shit in real life too, similar to warrior. Never learned how to work a match. Had an incredibly arresting look & intensity & rode that all the way. Luger was at least involved in some classic matches and at least TRIED to do well in the ring at times. Sid was a mess & hurt people all the time for no reason whatsoever.

It's not about work rate. It is about what you bring to the table. Sid brought a charisma and presence you cannot teach. If wrestling was about work rate, flippy flopping choreographed twerps would be what the industry is built on and it is not. It's not even built on wrestling.

Sid cost himself millions by not agreeing to become a face in the WWF around the time Hogan went away to film a movie because he wanted to be a heel instead. That was so incredibly short-sighted on his part.

Scott Steiner was a worse main eventer than Sid. His roided up body completely changed his style for the worse, with a less mobile, functional body. The moves that made Steiner so impressive (Frankensteiner for one) he wasn't able to execute anymore or at the very least without the same grace. He was incredibly unoriginal. A copy of a copy of a copy. Not a draw anywhere. He was purposely vindictive, slamming Booker T into the mat with such force he broke his sternum, when the former Harlem Heat wrestler was becoming a major part of WCW as a breakout singles star. How many jobbers did he hurt even when he was a more fluid wrestler? Steiner's road rages were so uncontrollable that he fucked himself politically in every which way. The bozo still hates wrestlers that were responsible for elevating the industry (Hogan, Flair) and creating a job for him.

Now that is a shit wrestler.

I'm not saying Sid didn't draw or didn't have charisma. I'm saying not only was he a poor hand, he didn't give a shit about rasslin. He routinely missed work dates. And no, he didn't screw himself out of much, because he couldn't have held Hulk's jockstrap. Even if he did agree to learn to baby face in the Fed, he wouldve been over for about a week until the audience wised up.

I dunno how you can call my BPP gimmick bad or unoriginal. There are no original gimmicks in rasslin. Everyone rips off everyone else. Stone Cold gimmick was terrible & one dimensional but he got over huge in the States because all the fans there are miserable, low IQ working class bred joes who could relate to the character. In reality, Steve sucked in the ring at that point, and Stone Cold was a direct rip off of Dickie Murdoch & David Schultz.

BPP was the hottest & best heel of the 'tude era. He was the only cool thing about the WCW in 2000-the end. And he got the biggest pop ever at 2002 Survivor Series. Plus the gimmick was great, it was a send up to Orndorff, Rude, & Superstar. What's wrong with that? Don't he gelli of the genetic freak ;)

"So this goes out to all my freaks out there...."

I'm not saying Sid didn't draw or didn't have charisma. I'm saying not only was he a poor hand, he didn't give a shit about rasslin. He routinely missed work dates. And no, he didn't screw himself out of much, because he couldn't have held Hulk's jockstrap. Even if he did agree to learn to baby face in the Fed, he wouldve been over for about a week until the audience wised up.

I dunno how you can call my BPP gimmick bad or unoriginal. There are no original gimmicks in rasslin. Everyone rips off everyone else. Stone Cold gimmick was terrible & one dimensional but he got over huge in the States because all the fans there are miserable, low IQ working class bred joes who could relate to the character. In reality, Steve sucked in the ring at that point, and Stone Cold was a direct rip off of Dickie Murdoch & David Schultz.

BPP was the hottest & best heel of the 'tude era. He was the only cool thing about the WCW in 2000-the end. And he got the biggest pop ever at 2002 Survivor Series. Plus the gimmick was great, it was a send up to Orndorff, Rude, & Superstar. What's wrong with that? Don't he gelli of the genetic freak ;)

Cheap heat.

Generic heel with a name meant to be a play on Superman villain (Lex Luther) and with German undertones (Luger). My dad took me to a wrestling match to prove to me it was fake when I was young. Lex Luger politely asked if he could cut in front of us in line at the concession stand so he could grab a snack and apologized as he was in the next match.
Dude just wanted a Snickers bar before going out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back