Was Fedor the heavyweight champ that fought the best (Prime) competition?

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Prides early 00s competition was super hard: Talk about Prime Nog, Mirko, Barnett, Kharitonov, Aleks, Igor, Coleman, Randleman... Later Arlovski, that was on a roll and was the num 2 HW by the time (2009)

Fedor fought the best at their best.

I think Brock fought tough competition too, specially Carwin.

Cain beating JDS 2 times (great)

Stipe fought and finished Werdum (amazing)

What u guys say?

Fedor never fought in the UFC. Enough said.

I actually think prime Sergei would've been Fedor's toughest test in PRIDE, but they never fought.

Could match Fedor's Sambo, and hit like a truck. Sharp technical boxing as well.

I know Aleks TKO'd Sergei but it's common knowledge amongst hardcores that Sergei blew out his shoulder a few weeks beforehand and had it in a cast, but chose not to pull out and paid the price.

But the early 2000s PRIDE HW division was by far and away the deepest heavyweight pool ever.

I would actually say Nogueira fought more killers than Fedor....he fought pretty much everyone that Fedor did, plus Sergei, Werdum, Bob Sapp (when he wasn't throwing fights), Barnett, and a few other guys that Fedor never fought in PRIDE.

Last edited:
You are a dumbass. Say no more.

SkeletalJampackedFossa.gif

and UFC had a shitty HW division.
SF had a much better one, and a tourney.

I think you know he made the right choice.

He did of course beat two of the three best UFC HW's of his era but we know that without the magical UFC logo on the ring there mystical powers were gone.

Personally I would say though that Nog probably fought the best prime HW talent ever, Fedor, Crocop, Barnett, Sergei, Werdum, Sylvia, Ricco, Herring, Coleman, Semmy, Sapp(for the short period that ment something).

Fedor was the best of his time. Still, there were fights I would have liked to watch, instead of those "filler" matches he had regularly (but i guess the PRIDE executives wanted to show fights with him without putting him in danger between the title fights).

Barnett would have been nice, but he failed to show up.
Kharitonov lost the semi final against Nog, but it could have been done another time.
Aleks is his brother.
Igor was already declining.

Still... to stay at the top for so long at HW... it's something it's hard to picture. But he did it.

Prides early 00s competition was super hard: Talk about Prime Nog, Mirko, Barnett, Kharitonov, Aleks, Igor, Coleman, Randleman... Later Arlovski, that was on a roll and was the num 2 HW by the time (2009)

Fedor fought the best at their best.

I think Brock fought tough competition too, specially Carwin.

Cain beating JDS 2 times (great)

Stipe fought and finished Werdum (amazing)

What u guys say?

When did he fight Kharitonov? That would have been a great fight.

He did of course beat two of the three best UFC HW's of his era but we know that without the magical UFC logo on the ring there mystical powers were gone.

Personally I would say though that Nog probably fought the best prime HW talent ever, Fedor, Crocop, Barnett, Sergei, Werdum, Sylvia, Ricco, Herring, Coleman, Semmy, Sapp(for the short period that ment something).
yeah, but the 3 times he fought Fedor, it didn't go his way.
I know people from his camp, and they claim that the NC they had, Fedor "pulled out" because he knew he would lose that fight...
Honestly I don't know (if they are saying that because they were in Nog's camp - so the vision is a little... biased), but they are very passionate about it.

But the other 2 losses IMO puts Nog behind Fedor.

as for not signing with the UFC, Fedor was very clear why not.
1) he didn't like the way Dana acts. Lies to everyone when the negotiation table values are completely out of reality... and we both know Dana lies a lot and uses the media to strenghen his position.
2) Exclusivity. Fedor always fought in Sambo competitions. UFC wouldn't allow it.
3) Promotion. As part owner of Global 1, Fedor wanted to ensure G-1 would continue to exist after he stopped fighting. So he wanted some co-promotions with the UFC. That, I don't know if the UFC did right or wrong to co-promote a couple of events. But they could have used them to gain more penetration in Europe, where Global 1 was bigger than the UFC.

that's without adding that SF probably paid better, allowed co-promotion and Fedor could fight in Sambo competitions.... Plus they had a better HW division at that time, and the HW tourney.

If Fedor would have won that tourney, I am sure SF would still be alive today.
But he lost, and AO jumped ship (to the UFC) and this broke SF IMO.

Last edited:

Pride 2000-2007 HW division much better than UFC at the time. A lot of the PRIDE HW's came over when the UFC bought PRIDE helping to make the UFC division better. Remember all of the hype put in to a Randy vs. Fedor super fight that never happened?

yeah, but the 3 times he fought Fedor, it didn't go his way.
I know people from his camp, and they claim that the NC they had, Fedor "pulled out" because he knew he would lose that fight...
Honestly I don't know (if they are saying that because they were in Nog's camp - so the vision is a little... biased), but they are very passionate about it.

But the other 2 losses IMO puts Nog behind Fedor.

as for not signing with the UFC, Fedor was very clear why not.
1) he didn't like the way Dana acts. Lies to everyone when the negotiation table values are completely out of reality... and we both know Dana lies a lot and uses the media to strenghen his position.
2) Exclusivity. Fedor always fought in Sambo competitions. UFC wouldn't allow it.
3) Promotion. As part owner of Global 1, Fedor wanted to ensure G-1 would continue to exist after he stopped fighting. So he wanted some co-promotions with the UFC. That, I don't know if the UFC did right or wrong to co-promote a couple of events. But they could have used them to gain more penetration in Europe, where Global 1 was bigger than the UFC.

that's without adding that SF probably paid better, allowed co-promotion and Fedor could fight in Sambo competitions.... Plus they had a better HW division at that time, and the HW tourney.

If Fedor would have won that tourney, I am sure SF would still be alive today.
But he lost, and AO jumped ship (to the UFC) and this broke SF IMO.
Its a shame people here in Brazil dont recognise Fedor as the GOAT... They even dont like to talk too much about Fedor cause the 2 losses Nog took from him. Some even say Nog won that no contest... its sad.

Its a shame people here in Brazil dont recognise Fedor as the GOAT... They even dont like to talk too much about Fedor cause the 2 losses Nog took from him. Some even say Nog won that no contest... its sad.

Wel, Nog is revered in Brazil, so I don't blame them.
I recall, long time ago, that Globo had an interview with Nog brothers, before MMA exploded in Brazil.
They were showing how much an unknown they were by walking on the beach and almost no one recognized them.
Then they showed them fighting in Pride, and how they were adored (and popular) in Japan...

Good old times they were :D

Wel, Nog is revered in Brazil, so I don't blame them.
I recall, long time ago, that Globo had an interview with Nog brothers, before MMA exploded in Brazil.
They were showing how much an unknown they were by walking on the beach and almost no one recognized them.
Then they showed them fighting in Pride, and how they were adored (and popular) in Japan...

Good old times they were :D
Yep. Nog bros are famous now... Fedor not so much. I wonder if People in Russia know Fedor?

GSP fought better competition but it is close

Back