Was Bj Penn really that good at Jiu jitsu?

bj pen is one of the only fighters to trap people's arms when getting the RNC, dunno we don't see that more often.

Watch his fight with Renzo Gracie

First ever non Brazilian to win black belt at the mundials. Impressive

See, i would expect somebody called /known as the BJJ prodigy, to be able to sub a wrestler.

That "wrestler' was also 20 pounds heavier, also a BJJ black belt, and was greasy as fuck :wink:

I know they call him the prodigy because he evolved so fast. He's really good, don't get me wrong. But I think his BJJ was overrated. I've been skimming a few vids and what impresses me the most is his flexibility. I think people may have mistaken that as great BJJ, when in fact, it's just great flexibility.

Nick Diaz's BJJ impresses me more than BJ's.

Thoughts? Why were people so impressed with Bj's BJJ?

I'm in no way trying to knock him, btw. He's was one of my favorite fighters.

See, i would expect somebody called /known as the BJJ prodigy, to be able to sub a wrestler.

Then perhaps you should check out his first fight against Matt Hughes, or his fight against Takanori Gomi.

I think his BJJ was overrated.

In MMA, he has fought a ton of fights at 170lbs and higher.

In BJJ, he fought at 135.

This should help you understand, as I'm sure you have felt the difference that strength and size makes when wrestling and doing BJJ.

TS should go watch the Pulver fight after TUF.

BJ straight trolls Pulver with his BJJ, like he did all season. No respect for Pulver at all.

Back