Warming up before class

AKjitsu

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm just curious how your academy runs the warm ups?

A few months ago I changed schools due to moving out of state and the new academy does just flow rolling for warm ups. None of that shrimping, light jogging, jumping jacks, planks, and whatever jiu jitsu related motions like my old academy did Which got a bit boring at times.

At first I wasn't a big fan of flow rolling, but then I later realized it was because I was just not good at it and wasn't doing it right by being a bit tense and more resistant than necessary. Now I think my game was progressed quite a bit simply because of flow rolling because it really made me pay attention to reaction times in between sequences of movements and repetition/muscle memory.

On standard class days, we do boxing or muay Thai before bjj so everyone is anywhere from warm to sweat soaked from that, depending on the intensity of the particular day.

For open mat days, people just do their own routines. Some calisthenics, light wrestling technique, flow roll, whatever, then there are some maniacs that come in late and go strait from 0 to 100, how they do that shit I'll never know, I gotta get these old bones nice and lubed first

The class could be beginner or advanced, we do the same shit. Jumping jacks, high knees, butt kicks, push-ups, seal jumps, sit-up to kimura, etc. I so wish we could flow roll for a couple of rounds and then get into technique. We do the same warm-ups for open mat, too.

we do the jog, high knees and all that. I think they spend too much time on a warm up IMO

I can understand a beginners class doing these kind of warm ups - shrimping, technical stand up, tumbling or whatever because flow rolling would be difficult for a newbie.

So happy I don't need to do any of that stuff now lol

My first academy wasted a good 30 minutes of each class doing this killer warm up. Laps, push ups, sit ups, squats, burpbees and then finally doing technique. I hated it.
My second academy abandoned the classic warm up for jiu jitsu specific movements. We would drill the previous week/class technique and include things such as flow rolling. I loved it and when I have a chance to teach, I adopt this method. Greater use of time. I have a brief general warm up where we do start moving around the mat and I still do maintain doing proper hip escape and technical standing as many people botch this movement(s).
My third academy is more classic with the sit up, squat, push up and etc with some armlocks and what not.

I'm all for the jiu jitsu specific moving or technical drilling to warm up.

I hate cardio intensive warm ups. I pay money to learn Bjj, not exercises I could do at home.

When I teach, it's one lap of high knees / shuffle - then into warm up drills / light position flows. Similar to the 10th planet warm ups. Those are awesome.

Back