Ward vs Kovalev 2

Ward should win this, based on his proven ability to adjust and cash on his opponent's weaknesses.

That being said, don't underestimate Kovalev. If he's anywhere near intelligent he'll have prepared one or two unexpected things. He can jab. And he's still a fearsome puncher.

What got me before the first fight was how many people were insisting that Ward needed to stay far away from Kovalev unless he wanted to get smashed. I even said it at the time, but inside is exactly where he wants to be. Take the stink off of Kov's long punches, take advantage of the fact that Kovalev doesn't throw a very good hook, and be where Ward does a lot of his best work.

Kovalev's proficiency from mid range and the outside (where Ward usually dominates with his jab), coupled with the fact that he has more length, really does limit the amount of success Ward can have, and it's why I don't think Ward can win in very commanding fashion. However, Kovalev didn't show the he could prevent Ward from getting inside, and he didn't show that he was comfortable with Ward constantly switching levels and changing the range. If Kovalev's conditioning was better (of course, he has never shown particularly good conditioning in a fight that he isn't dominating), I think he would have won their first fight, perhaps even clearly, but the shock factor isn't going to be there this time around. If Kovalev is going to win, he needs to find a way to keep Ward away from the inside with greater regularity, and he needs to keep his workrate up. I'm not sure he can do either of those things.

Kovalev's proficiency from mid range and the outside (where Ward usually dominates with his jab), coupled with the fact that he has more length, really does limit the amount of success Ward can have, and it's why I don't think Ward can win in very commanding fashion. However, Kovalev didn't show the he could prevent Ward from getting inside, and he didn't show that he was comfortable with Ward constantly switching levels and changing the range. If Kovalev's conditioning was better (of course, he has never shown particularly good conditioning in a fight that he isn't dominating), I think he would have won their first fight, perhaps even clearly, but the shock factor isn't going to be there this time around. If Kovalev is going to win, he needs to find a way to keep Ward away from the inside with greater regularity, and he needs to keep his workrate up. I'm not sure he can do either of those things.

Kova brought in a new russian trainer to help with his cardio and I think he will throw more and put alot more pressure on ward early and have better stamia in the later half of the fight IF needed.

I think Ward gonna play the survie game for the first 4 rd and just try to tie Kova up and body shot him while Kova looks for the early KO and than break him down in the second half like he did in the first fight. But I think Kova is gonna press him more and use theKhan push off to keep Ward off him. Ref is going have to watch that.

I've got this one for Ward again. He wasn't intimidated in the slightest by Kovalev's KO record/reputation in the first. He's happy to get close on the inside and play rough or alter his range and mix it up with skill.

My guess is he's going to frustrate Kovalev so much for the first 5 rounds that he'll begin to pull away on the scorecard in the second half of the fight. I reckon ultimately a win on points by a larger margin than last time.

P.S. On a personal note the BS racist comments deserve Kov get fucked up...I find those racist comments strange esp since he's training in Oxnard surrounded by Mexicans (I'm Irish but used to live near there)

Kova brought in a new russian trainer to help with his cardio and I think he will throw more and put alot more pressure on ward early and have better stamia in the later half of the fight IF needed.

I think Ward gonna play the survie game for the first 4 rd and just try to tie Kova up and body shot him while Kova looks for the early KO and than break him down in the second half like he did in the first fight. But I think Kova is gonna press him more and use theKhan push off to keep Ward off him. Ref is going have to watch that.

A trainer like John David Jackson would probably be quite a bit better for gameplanning for Ward's infighting than any Russian trainer Kovalev is likely to bring in. Also, Kovalev just might not be gifted with the best cardio. There was no reason for him to not be in the best shape of his life against Ward, especially after talking about how much he slacked in training against Chilemba.

A trainer like John David Jackson would probably be quite a bit better for gameplanning for Ward's infighting than any Russian trainer Kovalev is likely to bring in. Also, Kovalev just might not be gifted with the best cardio. There was no reason for him to not be in the best shape of his life against Ward, especially after talking about how much he slacked in training against Chilemba.

The russian trainer was just for conditioning I think. John Davis still there but there has been some strange stories about Ward trying to buy him away from Kova in the last week or so. John said he is good with Kova but that him and Ward did have convos about the fight.

Kova said he over trained for Ward the first fight and feel good this time. Not that he didnt feel good last time but just more prepared conditioning.

The russian trainer was just for conditioning I think. John Davis still there but there has been some strange stories about Ward trying to buy him away from Kova in the last week or so. John said he is good with Kova but that him and Ward did have convos about the fight.

Kova said he over trained for Ward the first fight and feel good this time. Not that he didnt feel good last time but just more prepared conditioning.

Yeah, I heard about some of the John David Jackson stories. It seems like James Prince approached him (I think there is a connection there between Bryant Jennings or something like that), likely just to try and fuck with the dynamics of that camp (there has been a lot said about how Kovalev doesn't listen to John David Jackson, as well as some claims that he disparaged Jackson to the Russian media). Jackson turned them down, but said in interviews that he would have gone over for the right money (which seems like a bit of a strange response, but whatever). I wouldn't make too much of it, but it is an odd story.

Kovalev by TKO mind rounds if he manages to hurt Ward again. If not I still got Sergey by a decision. I think Ward fought as well as he can the first fight and had to pull out everything he had only to squeak by barely, lot of people had Sergey winning that fight. IMO that is as well as Ward can do vs Sergey. On the other hand I think Sergey can fight better, both output and cardio. I dont think we saw the best Sergey in that fight.

Ward should win this, based on his proven ability to adjust and cash on his opponent's weaknesses.

That being said, don't underestimate Kovalev. If he's anywhere near intelligent he'll have prepared one or two unexpected things. He can jab. And he's still a fearsome puncher.
I think historically these type fights favor fighters like Ward, who is more the thinking man's fighter, works off adjustments and got the benefit of feeling everything Kovalev threw at him. It is just so hard to land a finishing blow on a fighter of Ward's calibre, especially given the eight count.

That being said, it is shocking this fight, and the last one, flew so low under the radar given that this fight could essentially determine the #1 P4P fighter and features two guys in their absolute prime.

If Kova does not get that early KO, I think Ward wins by 3-4 rounds on the cards. The card is just so damn good and we constantly are forgetting this.

Last edited:
I'm going to predict this fight plays out a lot like the first but a little clearer for Ward in the end. Ward probably will get caught early again.

I'm going to predict this fight plays out a lot like the first but a little clearer for Ward in the end. Ward probably will get caught early again.
If it's close the judges will give it to Kov too much money (gambling money ) on a trilogy

Kovalev by TKO stoppage in the 8th round.

I think Ward is gonna take it a little easier to not get caught early then turn it on once he's gotten the timing down and make it an easier win down the stretch. Well, that's what I'd tell him to do...lol

If I set up a PayPal and send it to rr to hold are you cool with that?

If I set up a PayPal and send it to rr to hold are you cool with that?

I am cool with whatever. No need to send anything to a third party. I trust you. It's not a large amount at all. I have made a few bets here and never had an issue. I say we just call it a gentlemans agreement and the loser can pay when it's over.

I favor Ward but sometimes power beats skill and that's what I'm hoping for!

Back