War Room OT Discussion v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is the first thing you will hear Mark Cuban and Warren Buffet say. They have different investing styles but both say pay off your CC immediately. Before anything else.

Credit card companies hate people like you. I always wondered why rich and famous people used credit cards when they obviously have cash. It is because of those perks. If you pay in full each month, it is a benefit. Probably gives Kim Kardashian tons of free flights and other shit.

Let me see if understand the history of interest rates correctly. In the 1970s the maximum a bank could charge interest was like 12%. Then there was inflation so Feds raised rates to 20%. So banks have to pay 20% for money and lend it at 12%. That obviously won't work. So interest rates were allowed to go higher. 25 or 35% or more. That is logical. When the fed rate is 20%, that kind of interest can be justified. What is the fed rate now? 1%? And we still have interest policies like it is at 20%.

Am I missing something here?

Banks may not like how I use it but they look at the bigger picture. They net out well from whatever person just paying the minumum each month.

A smaller perk that may be more important from a business level than individual is it provides a float on your bills. If you have a bill that you pay on your credit card that does a 30 day statement and net 20 days to pay, you have anywhere from 20-50 extra days to wait on removing the cash from your account. I don't care as much about that and usually just pay 2-3 times a month to keep the balance low but for a business, it really helps manage and forecast cash flow.

I am binge watching Shark Tank and this is guy is trying to sell an alarm clock that wakes you up with the smell of bacon. He said that most alarm clocks are obnoxious and a shitty thing to wake up to. Bacon is better.

But he isn't solving the problem. People need a reason to run out of bed every morning. When I was in love with this girl, I had immediate energy when I woke up and just wanted to be around her or talk to her. I woke up and rolled out of bed like I have never even been sleeping. It just wakes you up immediately. Everything in my life besides her was an obstacle between me and her. Sleep is an obstacle. I am glad to wake up to see her again. Yes.

Passion is so important. To wake up everyday and want to embrace it. To not wait to get to it. That is the best alarm clock. Like Jobs and Gates LOVE what they do. Bill Gates LOVES software. I don't know how but he is passionate about it. And so is Jobs. And when you have that kind of passion waking up in the morning is not hard at all.

quote-nothing-great-in-the-world-has-ever-been-accomplished-without-passion-georg-wilhelm-friedrich-hegel-12-85-50.jpg

"Innovation is saying no to a thousand things. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking." -Jobs

Depends what your current situation is. There are services that will help. If it's really bad and you're going to need more soon, that's really the best thing, though you might expect to pay a thousand bucks or so. Generally, pay everything on time going forward and try to have a lot of credit but don't use much of it. What services can do is help with specific advice and handle any past delinquencies (challenging stuff that might not be legit and dealing with stuff that is, which might mean some kind of consideration in return for payment).

1. I'm not 100% clear on the question. Are you asking why, for example, the U.S. gov't can't just say that we want USD to be worth X% of CNY?
2. Theoretically, I guess any country can manipulate its currency value. Not necessarily desirable, though. Remember when Romney said he'd "declare China a currency manipulator"? The effect of that is to start negotiations (FYI, such negotiations were already ongoing when he said that, though they weren't kicked off through that declaration; and Trump also said it but it no longer applied by then). Basically, if we believe that a country is manipulating currency, we ask them to knock it off. If they really need us and we don't need them, our ask can be pretty effective (and then it never gets to that point). If not, it might not be.
3. Man, that's tough. That was truly a bad thing for American workers, though (great for Chinese workers). And only moderated balanced by the good it did for the American consumer. No telling the impact of the ripples. I owe @HomerThompson a deeper look at the causes of wage stagnation, but IMO, that was the biggest factor in the stagnation since it happened (Dec. 2001). Here's median weekly earnings for full-time workers since:

fredgraph.png

You can probably guess why it rose when the GFC hit and then started falling, then rose again. But the general decline from 2002-2007 is what I'm talking about.

Gorgeous cortex, we will have that conversation when you come to my house one day Mr Savage...

What Jack and Homer said. First step is paying off whatever immediate debts you have, especially credit card debt. Next you have to begin showing a good history of credit by having a card you pay off every month and over the years have the limit get higher so you aren't using a large percentage of balance to limit. The secured credit card is a great idea if you are completely locked out with your past history.

Credit cards can also be a perk if you handle them correctly. In 2017, I paid $0 in bank fees/ interest and I made around $400 in rewards just from always making sure i use the credit card instead of my debit for purchases. You obviously still need to keep your spending in check and be able to know you have enough in your savings/ checking to pay your balance off each month but that gets easy once you build a cushion in the account and track month by month.

Very conscientious of your Mr Lead... Interesting dimension to your oscillating form...

We were created to rule, my love. And the blood of mankind will water our garden. Us and our kin... and our children, and our generations. We are the conquerors. We are the pure blood. We are steel and sinew both. We are the next 1000 years. We are the dead.

I am binge watching Shark Tank and this is guy is trying to sell an alarm clock that wakes you up with the smell of bacon. He said that most alarm clocks are obnoxious and a shitty thing to wake up to. Bacon is better.

That has to be a plant. I remember some guy talking about that on Howard Stern years ago.

Fuck the UFC! I'm watching Bellator tonight because...it's free. I'm taking a stand UFC!

Sonnen vs Rampage, eh?

*sigh*

This is happening? Okay then. Try not to gas out, fellas. Jesus. This is the competition, huh? This is so WCW.

Fuck the UFC! I'm watching Bellator tonight because...it's free. I'm taking a stand UFC!

Sonnen vs Rampage, eh?

*sigh*

This is happening? Okay then. Try not to gas out, fellas. Jesus. This is the competition, huh? This is so WCW.
Lima/McDonald is legit as fuck though.

Lima/McDonald is legit as fuck though.

Ahh', the Cruiserweights puttin' a show before the Main Event...

WCW indeed.

Should be fun though. I don't really give a fuck about any of this anymore. I'll take what they give me.

Depends what your current situation is. There are services that will help. If it's really bad and you're going to need more soon, that's really the best thing, though you might expect to pay a thousand bucks or so. Generally, pay everything on time going forward and try to have a lot of credit but don't use much of it. What services can do is help with specific advice and handle any past delinquencies (challenging stuff that might not be legit and dealing with stuff that is, which might mean some kind of consideration in return for payment).

1. I'm not 100% clear on the question. Are you asking why, for example, the U.S. gov't can't just say that we want USD to be worth X% of CNY?
2. Theoretically, I guess any country can manipulate its currency value. Not necessarily desirable, though. Remember when Romney said he'd "declare China a currency manipulator"? The effect of that is to start negotiations (FYI, such negotiations were already ongoing when he said that, though they weren't kicked off through that declaration; and Trump also said it but it no longer applied by then). Basically, if we believe that a country is manipulating currency, we ask them to knock it off. If they really need us and we don't need them, our ask can be pretty effective (and then it never gets to that point). If not, it might not be.
3. Man, that's tough. That was truly a bad thing for American workers, though (great for Chinese workers). And only moderated balanced by the good it did for the American consumer. No telling the impact of the ripples. I owe @HomerThompson a deeper look at the causes of wage stagnation, but IMO, that was the biggest factor in the stagnation since it happened (Dec. 2001). Here's median weekly earnings for full-time workers since:

fredgraph.png

You can probably guess why it rose when the GFC hit and then started falling, then rose again. But the general decline from 2002-2007 is what I'm talking about.

Thanks. I want to run this by you to see if I understand it properly:

Let me see if understand the history of interest rates correctly. In the 1970s the maximum a bank could charge interest was like 12%. Then there was inflation so Feds raised rates to 20%. So banks have to pay 20% for money and lend it at 12%. That obviously won't work. So interest rates were allowed to go higher. 25 or 35% or more. That is logical. When the fed rate is 20%, that kind of interest can be justified. What is the fed rate now? 1%? And we still have interest policies like it is at 20%.

Am I missing something here?

quote-the-world-embarrasses-me-and-i-cannot-dream-that-this-watch-exists-and-has-no-watchmaker-voltaire-191232.jpg

probably my favorite quote from him:

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
Let the wise man announce him and kings fear him.
Kings, if you oppress me, if your eminencies disdain
The tears of the innocent that you cause to flow,
My avenger is in the heavens: learn to tremble.

That is why I like this Soursar chick. She would bury 99% of sherdoggers. That passion.

I can't get over how badly barroso is telegraphing every strike he throws. He does some terrible windup every time.

I can't get over how badly barroso is telegraphing every strike he throws. He does some terrible windup every time.
Especially after he started eating those nasty jabs. I like how Villante had him guessing between jab and lead right.

another question @Jack V Savage

Is this right or am I just stupid?

Am I missing something here? Is what I said true? Because if what I said is true, I can form a cult to bring it down. People need to know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back