WAR ROOM LOUNGE V21: ♫♪ Tom Lehrer Awareness Week ♪♫

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oof saw a climate prediction report that made me poop a little. Scary stuff.

A lot of right wing US voters are climate change deniers and also are Christians. A common Christian response to atheism is that if the atheist is right that the Christian misses out on a few things but if the Christian is right the atheist burns in hell for eternity and thus behooves the Christian to convert or at the least have a long hard look and not casually dismiss Christianity . Yet, the same logic doesnt seem apply to climate change alarmism.
Also known as Pascal's Wager. It's an interesting tactic to use a (misunderstood) logical argument while at the same time not weighing any of your positions on the same scale.

If you think the end times are upon us, sustainable resource management isn't a concern.
I'd also blame culture wars. While many of them simply don't see the use in resource management because they believe the Rapture will happen within their lifetime (although they probably don't voice their position explicitly in that framework), there's also a gut reaction when seeing progressives, liberals or whatever you choose to call them (in short, your adversaries) supporting something so avidly.

This isn't exclusive to Christians though.

Saw this beauty of a cringe thread on Reddit over the weekend. Jordan Peterson Acolyte NPC takes his gf to see him speak, get's dumped and wonders why.

That's got to be a troll job.

If you think the end times are upon us, sustainable resource management isn't a concern.

I've actually found a way to get my people to embrace climate change. Go with me here. It is why we need the Second Amendment. Climate change is real and going to cause massive world wide devastation and societal collapse. Thus, we need guns to defend ourselves.

I've actually found a way to get my people to embrace climate change. Go with me here. It is why we need the Second Amendment. Climate change is real and going to cause massive world wide devastation and societal collapse. Thus, we need guns to defend ourselves.

I'm not sure if embracing climate change in that sense is a positive.

I'm not sure if embracing climate change in that sense is a positive.
If Waterworld has tought me anything, I will need a gun in the new world... and a jet ski

If Waterworld has tought me anything, I will need a gun in the new world... and a jet ski

I'd hope we could do better than Waterworld or The Postman for the apocalypse, although when I say "better" I don't mean anything as depressing as The Road.
I don't know about @Lord Coke, but all my anti-social apocalyptic fantasies involve a fresh start.

I'd hope we could do better than Waterworld or The Postman for the apocalypse, although when I say "better" I don't mean anything as depressing as The Road.
I don't know about @Lord Coke, but all my anti-social apocalyptic fantasies involve a fresh start.
Holding out for Mad Max, eh? I hear ya.

Holding out for Mad Max, eh? I hear ya.

Definitely. Although I'd take a Day of The Triffids if it's the best we can manage.

One of my favorite in recent years is Survival Family

Definitely. Although I'd take a Day of The Triffids if it's the best we can manage.
My family had that on vhs, scared the hell out of me.

Thank God our ice caps are melting. Keeping those triffids at bay

Fucking right. Glad I'm not the only one that his name fucks up.

Congrats man! I hope you like having 50% of the people that you see being under the age of 12 and the other 50% being over the age of 70. I have no idea how people in Orlando procreate, but I am 100% sure it's illegal.
Life...... finds a way

Canadian Whiskey lacks marketing, that's it. Whiskey is mostly marketing. You're told what to like, what's good, and what you're an undesirable for liking: meanwhile it's all just hooch let to sit in a barrel for varying periods of time.

There is no better ''bang for your buck'' 100% rye than this:

04009Z.jpg
I gotta disagree. Beam-Suntory owns Canadian club, and produces some very nice whiskeys (Hibiki is a personal favorite). And they do market Canadian club. The issue is that CC is designed to be as inoffensive as possible. It's mild and marketed that way. There's not a lot of flavor beyond the base malt that all whiskeys have, which isn't surprising, since CC uses used barrels from the other brands. It's not a whiskey for whiskey drinkers-its a whiskey for people who handwave the differences between whiskeys as irrelevant because it's all "hooch in a barrel."

That's got to be a troll job.
I figure it's 50-50. Supposedly the person who made it had a history of JP posts, so, if it was a troll job, they put a lot of work into it over the preceding months.

I gotta disagree. Beam-Suntory owns Canadian club, and produces some very nice whiskeys (Hibiki is a personal favorite). And they do market Canadian club. The issue is that CC is designed to be as inoffensive as possible. It's mild and marketed that way. There's not a lot of flavor beyond the base malt that all whiskeys have, which isn't surprising, since CC uses used barrels from the other brands. It's not a whiskey for whiskey drinkers-its a whiskey for people who handwave the differences between whiskeys as irrelevant because it's all "hooch in a barrel."

That particular whiskey is a blend of 3 different cooperages: new white oak, once used bourbon, and once used Canadian. For 27 bucks Canadian, I very highly doubt that it would be reliably beaten in a blind taste test by any 100% rye whiskey within a factor of two of its price.

Maybe people would prefer its ''inoffensive nature'' if they didn't know it was Canadian Club.

Now, this is just a bargain option. If you want to indulge your commodity fetish you can spend a lot more on a Canadian whiskey.

It's true in a way. I am just assuming (maybe wrongly) that Sherdog is younger than the average of the population. Being millionaire in your 20s and early 30s is probably much less common.

Yeah unless you are in the FIRE stream, very rare.

I wonder if the War Room has the oldest demographic on Sherdog.

Ima 47 :) OLD!!!!!!

There's also income stratification. I would have an approximately 50% higher base pay on a comparable position in the same company in the US, plus a lower tax rate.

LOL Liberal cuck giving away all your income to the culturally Marxist state!!!!!

I think I quoted this before, but good piece on polarization that addresses the issue of getting right-wingers on board:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/10/16/five-case-studies-on-politicization/

I recommend the whole thing, but here's a relevant (and funny) bit:

If I were in charge of convincing the Red Tribe to line up behind fighting global warming, here’s what I’d say:

In the 1950s, brave American scientists shunned by the climate establishment of the day discovered that the Earth was warming as a result of greenhouse gas emissions, leading to potentially devastating natural disasters that could destroy American agriculture and flood American cities. As a result, the country mobilized against the threat. Strong government action by the Bush administration outlawed the worst of these gases, and brilliant entrepreneurs were able to discover and manufacture new cleaner energy sources. As a result of these brave decisions, our emissions stabilized and are currently declining.

Unfortunately, even as we do our part, the authoritarian governments of Russia and China continue to industralize and militarize rapidly as part of their bid to challenge American supremacy. As a result, Communist China is now by far the world’s largest greenhouse gas producer, with the Russians close behind. Many analysts believe Putin secretly welcomes global warming as a way to gain access to frozen Siberian resources and weaken the more temperate United States at the same time. These countries blow off huge disgusting globs of toxic gas, which effortlessly cross American borders and disrupt the climate of the United States. Although we have asked them to stop several times, they refuse, perhaps egged on by major oil producers like Iran and Venezuela who have the most to gain by keeping the world dependent on the fossil fuels they produce and sell to prop up their dictatorships.

china_pol.jpg

A giant poster of Mao looks approvingly at all the CO2 being produced…for Communism.

We need to take immediate action. While we cannot rule out the threat of military force, we should start by using our diplomatic muscle to push for firm action at top-level summits like the Kyoto Protocol. Second, we should fight back against the liberals who are trying to hold up this important work, from big government bureaucrats trying to regulate clean energy to celebrities accusing people who believe in global warming of being ‘racist’. Third, we need to continue working with American industries to set an example for the world by decreasing our own emissions in order to protect ourselves and our allies. Finally, we need to punish people and institutions who, instead of cleaning up their own carbon, try to parasitize off the rest of us and expect the federal government to do it for them.

Please join our brave men and women in uniform in pushing for an end to climate change now.

Ima 47 :) OLD!!!!!!

I'm not that far behind you. It's been some time since there's been a WR regular that really obviously didn't seem old enough to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back