Wanderlei Silva on Rua vs. Gustafsson: It will be as it was against Rampage in Pride

This is going to turn out really ugly for Shogun.

I'm concerned with Gus's footwork, boxing and in and out style, he will outwork Shogun. Lets hope it won't be an embarrassing loss for him.

The question is: What does Shogun have to offer Jones if he wins? From a title fight point of interest i think if Gustaffson disposes of Rua easily it leads to a great deal of intrigue with him facing Jones.
Everyone knows what Jones did to Rua and probably don't see anything much different in a 2nd fight.

gussec.gif

Massive lag in the gif but those are 5 strikes (2 power strikes) and 1 block in approx 1 second. No offense to Rampage but I doubt he ever offered that type of striking and especially not in PRIDE.

Shogun's gonna zzzzz unless he wins the lottery or go into full on defensive mode...

You know what they say. Every great fighter has one last great fight left in him

I got your joke, don't worry. There are a few actual people here.

The question is: What does Shogun have to offer Jones if he wins? From a title fight point of interest
Everyone knows what Jones did to Rua and probably don't see anything much different in a 2nd fight.

That's what I want to know .. wikipedia.org lists this fight as a UFC Title Eliminator, but is that true?

like provided he wins, would Shogun really get the next title shot?

I remember going back to the Nate Diaz-Jim Miller bout it was called a title Eliminator for Diaz only (since Miller was already beaten by the champ Bendo)

^ if that was the case for Miller-Diaz .. IMO same should apply to Shogun, as I don't think anyone wants to see Jones smash Shogun again **of course Jones has to get by Sonnen first though

WAR SHOGUN

The most unpredictable (conditioning-wise) fighter in the ufc, no doubt.

if shogun is 100%, or even 90% Gust is going down, sorry.

if the chubby cardio shows up though...he's in for a beating

It wouldn't surprise me if Gus put a beating on Shogun. I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gus put a beating on Shogun. I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hmm, well that kinda would surprise me, I think Shogun has got this, there's money to be made on this fight with the odds Shogun is at!

I'm a shogun fan for sure, but I'm not blind either. Anyone who thinks he's the same fighter he was in Pride before the injuries is delusional. He's not the same fighter and I don't see him dominating a guy like Gustofsson. I think it'll be a war and a close fight, but I'm hoping Shogun can pull it off.

well after the forrest fight and the coleman fight i was 100 percent sure shogun was completely done. he then went on to win the world title. one thing is always for sure with shogun, he aint never gonna quit or give up. (unless he's getting pummeled like he did against jones, which was one of the worst beatdowns i ever saw at that level)

and i just dont see gustaffson making him quit.

gussec.gif

Massive lag in the gif but those are 5 strikes (2 power strikes) and 1 block in approx 1 second. No offense to Rampage but I doubt he ever offered that type of striking and especially not in PRIDE.

Shogun's gonna zzzzz unless he wins the lottery or go into full on defensive mode...

Love the blood spatter effect in this animated GIF! :cool: That said, if Shogun goes into full on defensive mode then I see him either getting taken down and GnP'd or potentially even subbed (after some GnP of course), OR, I see Gustafsson working the BODY with hard punches to the stomach and/or kicks to the breadbasket or sternum (like with his spinning back kick which looks bad ass) to really hurt Shogun. IMO the best way to actually HURT Shogun is to punish the body, something Jones was doing pretty well with kicks for example. Gustafsson's "new" spinning back kick and improved, lightning quick, snappy leg kicks will be a great addition with his sharpened jab (I'd still like to see him develop his power jab more) will give him the opportunity to do what he didn't against Thiago Silva when he was in close with Thiago fully covering his face and playing 'peek-a-boo'.

In Gustafsson's recent sparring video footage he was lighting guys up with his hands, leg kicks, and spinning back kicks (Beltran specifically in one case who is a heavyweight). He was showing that new takedown from the clinch too (against someone who very well could've been Phil Davis). He's noticeably improved over the last 8 months since he fought Thiago Silva (in a fight to where he was EXTREMELY nervous in front of his Swedish friends, family, and fans).

Last edited:
Wand is right.

Shogun is going to connect on Gus hard in the 1st and in the 2nd stop him.

WAR SHOGUN!

Another hypetrain comes to an end tomorrow.

Agree with everything except Shogun is knocking him out in the 1st round!

War Shogun!!!!!

It's so frustrating being a Shogun fan (and BJ as well, and sometimes Anderson when he starts to clown around). Shogun has all the tools and talents to be a dominant LHW champ, just not the dedication and focus... and sometimes health. Shogun should beat Gus, but I've learned not be as hopeful. We'll see tomorrow night.

War Shogun!!!

Agree with everything except Shogun is knocking him out in the 1st round!

War Shogun!!!!!

Your sig says everything we need to know. BTW, Wand couldn't even beat Franklin either time they fought or even CHRIS LEBEN. He's been friends and partners with Mauricio since he was a kid. If you think he REALLY means that Shogun will look as good as he did in Pride against Rampage then you are one hell of a gullible motherfucker! :icon_lol:

Sorry. I think this Wandy is an imposter. Other then the Jardine fight, this Wandy resembles nothing of the Wanderlei in pride. At least Shogun KO'ed Machida.

Shogun via iron will.

Gus will probably hit Shogun with everything he has. And then he will realize that Shogun is still standing in front of him.

Back