[Wand Interview]"I can't even speak English properly, much less read contracts"

countswagula

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Source: http://sportv.globo.com/site/combat...m-para-falar-imagina-para-assinar-papeis.html

img_3518.jpg

How did you get the news that you were being withdrawn from the 175 card?
W: Same way as everyone else, through the internet.

Have you received any sort of statement from the UFC?
W: Not up until now. I haven't received any sort of phone call or e-mail telling me I'm off the card.

The UFC says you've had problems getting licensed for the event and that's why they had to find a replacement(Vitor Belfort). What do you have to say about that?
W: I haven't had any problems, I simply haven't applied for a license yet.

How is this process usually handled? When you have a fight in vegas, how long beforehand do you usually apply for a license?
W: Over my 20 year career, it's always been handled the same. The NSAC's attitude in this instance was very atypical. Usually, a week before the fight I hand in everything that's required. The UFC always helps out by sending an e-mail with all the necessary requirements(medical exams and forms for my licence and that of my cornermen, which in this case I hadn't even chosen yet) This is the case not only in Vegas, but everywhere I've fought. It's always been like that. I hand over all the exams and I'm available for urine testing the day of the fight as well.

What medical exams and protocols do you usually go through?
W: Every athlete has to go through physical and ophthalmological exams, chest X-rays, electrocardiograms as well as blood tests to check for hepatitis C, HIV, and the usual blood and urine antidoping tests.

Who starts the licencing process, yourself or the UFC?
W: We do it together. The UFC helps us out and, after everything is done, I send it to the UFC and they take care of the rest.

According to the NSAC you haven't applied for a license to fight at UFC 175 yet. Had the UFC stipulated any sort of deadline for you to get licensed?
W: The UFC is acting like it normally does, sending me forms by e-mail and giving me the dates to turn in the exams so we don't fall behind, as there are many tests. They know we're focused on training.

Chael Sonnen said on "UFC Tonight that the NSAC officials went to your gym for a surprise drug test and that you snuck out the back door to avoid taking the test. Could you explain what happened?
W: I never refused to take the tests. As I told the gentleman that day, I'll take them, but I need my Lawyer to know what I'm being told to sign. I was caught by surprise. No warning, no test message, no time set for the exam, and required to sign a lot of papers in English, which I can't even speak properly, much less read in legal terms... That's crazy! The gentleman that showed up at the gym didn't have any sort of credentials or nametag, wasn't using a uniform or medical coat, didn't carry any sort of case for labv exams. He was dressed like a regular person off the street. I thought: "My schedule is very busy, Bar

Last edited:
Lmao weak excuse.. Was never a problem until now

i only know 1 thing for sure. Wandy isnt scared to fight anybody, much less pitter patter Chael. The guy stands toe to toe with Stann and Leben just recently, i dont think he is scared to lose a decision he would make a boatload of $ in.

Lmao weak excuse.. Was never a problem until now

Probably because in the past he's been able to review things with his lawyer, which is what he says he wanted to do, and in this instance he was told to sign something on the spot.

I don't know what happened or who is right, but this Hate Machine that is flowing pretending like Wand's side of the story is completely farfetched is just dumb.

Wands story doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Wouldn't he know that if the guy was who he said he was then he couldn't leave like that or it would be a refusal?

The claim is that Wand took off or "ran" out of the building. I don't think Wand said anything up there that makes sense as to why he would do that if it wasn't a big deal to him. He could have had someone read it to him that he trusted, he could have called someone in to help. There isn't any good explanation to him leaving without permission unless he didn't want to be tested.

i only know 1 thing for sure. Wandy isnt scared to fight anybody, much less pitter patter Chael. The guy stands toe to toe with Stann and Leben just recently, i dont think he is scared to lose a decision he would make a boatload of $ in.

Agreed, Wanderlei isn't scared to stand with anyone. But Chael wasn't planning to stand with him.

You suddenly don't speak English when you are faced with a random drug test...Chael's story is actually more believable..

And his other excuse, "I didn't know who they were, they didn't have any credentials." Ummm...ya...it takes ONE phone call to the commission to verify their integrity.

Guilty as hell.

Last edited:
Agreed, Wanderlei isn't scared to stand with anyone. But Chael wasn't planning to stand with him.

so he isnt scared of being brutally KO'd but he is scared of being laid on for 3/5 rounds??

makes sense......

This

Probably because in the past he's been able to review things with his lawyer, which is what he says he wanted to do, and in this instance he was told to sign something on the spot.

I don't know what happened or who is right, but this Hate Machine that is flowing pretending like Wand's side of the story is completely farfetched is just dumb.

To add to this NSAC now has a new guy running things and I believe this is the first time Wanderlei has had to deal with the "new" NSAC

I can't read english, here is my response to the situation in perfect english.

You mean the article that is translated from Portuguese to english?
Good god, some of you, I swear.

It is so unprofessional and disrespectful about the UFC not to call a fighter who has been put on hold or cut. UFC does that.

yes, we can all tell from the interviews and such that Wandy speaks perfect english. He should close his gym and start a school to teach new Americans how to speak as articulately as he does.

Back