• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Economy Wake up babe! The new right-wing mask-off moment just dropped! "Make the plebes toil away until they die!"

Sounds like someone from a rich family who gets to fail multiple times and falk back on daddies money. People from poor backgrounds fail and then spend years paying off their debt and living hard.

Welp, I just bankrupted my business and lost a fortune. Let's just open a new one!

What the actual fuck?

<36>
<mma4>

Oh for Pete's sake . . . there is a risk in whatever someone does with their money. I never said people wouldn't also have a risk of losing their money. I'm just saying it would've been nice for it to be a choice. I know as things are now that it can never not be setup and function like it does today.

Homie, we've all read enough of what you are saying and it is just fucking stupid lmao...I'll leave it at that.

Hence it's regressive. There's no economic argument for giving the top 10 percent of earners a tax break.

Again, this is how most programs work. Most folks pay far more into unemployment insurance then they ever get back. I pay for aircraft carriers I never use. So on so forth.

What was the elderly poverty rate before and after SS? I'll wait.
You'll wait for what? You're looking for the poverty rate during the great depression vs after WW2? Is that a real question? GDP increased 1,000% in the 30 years after SS started, so obviously poverty decreased for every age group in that time.

They never were charged that money for it to be a "tax break". They raise the upper limit every year, and it's now double what it was just 20 years ago. FFS, it was 2% at a max of $3,000 when it was signed. and is now 12.4% on $168k just to keep the damn thing solvent, and it's barely doing that.

If it's such a good deal, then just make it optional and let people decide if they want their retirement handled by a barely solvent government program, or if they'd rather save that money themselves and invest it elsewhere. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

Homie, we've all read enough of what you are saying and it is just fucking stupid lmao...I'll leave it at that.

Why leave it at that? You don't have a clue . . . why let that stop you?

Raising the payroll tax threshold to 250K would bring in more money than eliminating every single dollar of foreign aid and directing that to SS.

Hey, if that means my benefits go up cool . . .

Like I said. Red. Herring.

Okay man . . . if that makes you feel better. I've already addressed it, but do go on thinking whatever you want.

No need. This thread is about a guy funded by the wealthy who despises the idea of working class Americans not having to work.

This thread is perfectly fine.
<Neil01>

A choice doesn't make sense.

You say that based on the current model. I'm not saying something needs to change overnight.

You're talking about a choice...after you have a lifetime of results to draw from.

Well duh. That's how life works. As we get older we do tend to look at things with a different perspective.

It's like buying a lottery ticket and winning. Then going out and saying that everyone should buy a lottery ticket because we're all going to win something.

Not how I'd characterize things, but to each his own.

The dream of having the money feels good now because, on the back end of your working career, things have worked out so you can imagine what the value would have been if that money had followed the same path as your other money.

It very well could have followed that same path if I'd had a choice.

But when you start working, you have no idea what the future will hold. You don't know if you're going to work for 10 years or for 50. You don't know if you're going to get promotions or never rise above entry level. You don't know if 15 years into your career, you get into a car accident that prevents you from working. No one knows at the beginning of their work lives, so no one is positioned to make that choice from an informed perspective.

I get that. I wish I could go back to 1995 and sit my stupid self down and discuss finances. And I won't deny that I've been very blessed with the career I've had up to this point. Believe it or not, it's not lost on me that others (even those in my same agency) aren't as lucky.

And TSPs are geat. Both of my parents have one because they went to work for the VA after retiring, their TSP returns are insanely high compared to other investment vehicles. And my parents are in the 8 figure world so when they gush about TSP returns, it means something, lol.

I didn't contribute to mine back when I was in uniform like I should've, but I'm taking advantage of it now. The FERS retirement is a nice plus as well.

People who have enough abundance to retire and live an existence meaningful to them without a need for a social safety net which doesnt even provide enough to cover basic necessities in most cases. Those who can choose to work or not without facing food, housing, or medical insecurity, and aren't immobile due to poverty.

I would have never characterized myself as rich . . . but looking at it like this . . . .

giphy.gif

You'll wait for what? You're looking for the poverty rate during the great depression vs after WW2? Is that a real question? GDP increased 1,000% in the 30 years after SS started, so obviously poverty decreased for every age group in that time.
How about poverty rate from 1900 to 1930. Do tell me.
They never were charged that money for it to be a "tax break". They raise the upper limit every year, and it's now double what it was just 20 years ago. FFS, it was 2% at a max of $3,000 when it was signed. and is now 12.4% on $168k just to keep the damn thing solvent, and it's barely doing that.
Again, just dishonesty. The share of earner qualifying for the phase out has increased in the past couple of decades. That's why the funding shortfall exists for the most part.
If it's such a good deal, then just make it optional and let people decide if they want their retirement handled by a barely solvent government program, or if they'd rather save that money themselves and invest it elsewhere. Shouldn't be a problem, right?
Government programs don't work when you let folks pick what they fund. For example, I can't decline to pay property taxes that fund public schools because I have no kids.
That's a separate lever. You'd have to write your congressman.

As I mentioned previously, if you want the improve the program, it's also worth discussing if SS should be means tested.

I love how you did the EXACT thing you accused to TS of LMAO - you rushed to defend your ghoulish low IQ political grifter before bothering to check if the OP's claim were true. Which they were. Pretty embarrassing man.

"PLEASE KEEP YOUR NOISE DOWN!!!" said the shrieking Karen, as she screams in the middle of a public library while blowing a whistle
I'm not sure what this mindless blather is or who this ghoulish grifter is. I was responding your thread (that got moved for being a steaming pile of shit) that was so factually inaccurate it came off as screaming in the sky. Sounds like your brainwash is strong with the fetish about this being about some ghoul and not your inability to think rationally or read the actual links and sources from your fantasy complaint...

Okay man . . . if that makes you feel better. I've already addressed it, but do go on thinking whatever you want.
Bernie Sanders social security expansion act would give everyone on ss a $2400 raise. It would also remove the cap on ss tax that only the wealthy enjoy.

The "donor class" stuff is a little weird, but it is a true fact that today's rightists are pushing for cuts to SS and gov't-provided insurance (especially Medicaid), partly to pay for more tax cuts for the rich. Good bit from a recent MY piece on the actual stakes in 2024:

I see it as an irrelevant issue in this context. I don't support forcing widespread suffering in order to try to engineer changes in human nature.

The fundamental issue is that old people are less able to work productively. If we're not going to have widespread poverty among the elderly, we need some way of ensuring that old people get a stream of income. But however they get that, it ultimately comes at the expense of people who are working. That's true if they're living in saved cash, investment income, SS, family support, etc. It doesn't ultimately matter to anyone else how exactly we do it. Some methods lead to lumpier distributions, which means more poverty. Some can lead to other economic issues, which have to be taken into account. Thinking about the issue in these kinds of broader terms gives us a better opportunity to deliberately make choices that will lead to outcomes we want.

Practically speaking, this would just create a death spiral for the plan and a return to mass elderly poverty.
They are going after traditional Medicare big time with GW Bush’s Medicare advantage scam.
It’s hilarious these guys calling SS a Ponzi scheme with what is happening with medicare advantage. It’s a cash grab for the health insurance companies with the money coming right of our so called entitlements.

Last edited:
Back