Who won the debate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quipling

classical conservative
@Silver
Reaction score
Last edited:
Don't know enough about either. Pence has a sweet haircut, so I'm thinking he will win. Doesn't matter though, only political junkies will care about this unless somebody does something catastrophically stupid and it goes viral. I doubt anybody's watching who hasn't already decided on a candidate

Pence will likely wreck him. But, luckily for the Hillary campaign, it doesn't matter

Pence will likely wreck him. But, luckily for the Hillary campaign, it doesn't matter

Why on Earth would you think Pence will wreck him? He's a decent guy, and I'm sure he knows all the talking points, but he's seriously outgunned intellectually.

Why on Earth would you think Pence will wreck him? He's a decent guy, and I'm sure he knows all the talking points, but he's seriously outgunned intellectually.
Wait... Kaine as an intellectual champion here? You're joking.

The dude just screams weakness to me.

Kaine is extremely intelligent, but not only that, Pence is probably about average for the population. Probably a 40-50-point IQ gap.

I've heard them both speak , Kaine doesn't have to be an intellectual champion to beat Pence handily imo

I've heard them both speak , Kaine doesn't have to be an intellectual champion to beat Pence handily imo

Exactly.

And even if you know nothing about Kaine, just read his Wiki page:

In 1976, he graduated from Rockhurst High School, a Jesuit all-boys preparatory school in Kansas City, Missouri.[1][8] At Rockhurst, Kaine joined the debate team and was elected student body president.[2]

Kaine received his B.A. in economics from the University of Missouri in 1979, completing his degree in three years and graduating summa cum laude.[1][2] He was a Coro Foundation fellow in Kansas City in 1978.[9] He enteredHarvard Law School in 1979, interrupting his law studies after his first year to work in Honduras[10][11][a] for nine months from 1980 to 1981, helping Jesuit missionaries who ran a Catholic school in El Progreso.[7][14] While running a vocational center that taught carpentry and welding, he also helped increase the school's enrollment by recruiting local villagers.[2] Kaine is fluent in Spanish as a result of his year in Honduras.[14]

After returning from Honduras, Kaine met his future wife, first-year Harvard Law student, Anne Holton.[2] He graduated from Harvard Law School with a J.D. degree in 1983.[15] Kaine and Holton moved to Holton's hometown ofRichmond, Virginia, after graduation,[2] and Kaine was admitted to the Virginia Bar in 1984.[8]

After graduating from law school, Kaine served as law clerk to Judge R. Lanier Anderson III of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, in Macon, Georgia.[8] Kaine then joined the Richmond law firm of Little, Parsley & Cluverius, P.C.[8] In 1987, Kaine became a director with the law firm of Mezzullo & McCandlish, P.C.[8]Kaine practiced law in Richmond for 17 years, specializing in fair housing law and representing clients discriminated against on the basis of race or disability.[16] He was a board member of the Virginia chapter of Housing Opportunities Made Equal, which he represented in a landmark redlining discrimination lawsuit against Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. arising from the company's practices in Richmond.[17][18] Kaine won a $100.5 million verdict in the case; the judgment was overturned on appeal, and Kaine and his colleagues negotiated a $17.5 million settlement.[18]

Kaine did regular pro bono work.[17] In 1988, Kaine started teaching legal ethics as an adjunct professor at the University of Richmond School of Law.[8][16] Kaine taught at the University of Richmond for six years, and his students included future Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring.[16][19] He was a founding member of the Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness.[17]

Putting politics aside, is anyone going to look at that and think, "this guy's not that smart?"

Compare it to Pence's considerably less impressive bio. Didn't stand out as a student, didn't do anything much before getting into politics, won some major offices and leadership positions, but I credit it more to his decency and discipline. It's possible that he's above average, but I haven't seen any signs of it. And some of his comments have been kind of scarily stupid.

Last edited:
Kaine is extremely intelligent, but not only that, Pence is probably about average for the population. Probably a 40-50-point IQ gap.
You're saying Kaine has an IQ between 140-150? This is laughable.

You're saying Kaine has an IQ between 140-150? This is laughable.

Why? Isn't that pretty consistent with his bio (even before politics--though note that what he's done in politics is also consistent with him being extremely bright)? If anything, I'm probably selling him short.

L53FRe.gif

Exactly.

And even if you know nothing about Kaine, just read his Wiki page:

Putting politics aside, is anyone going to look at that and think, "this guy's not that smart?"

Compare it to Pence's considerably less impressive bio.
Kaine: BA in economics, JD.
Pence: BA History, JD

Neither of their credentials scream intellectual elite. Probably very similar. But saying Kaine is intellectually closer to Gary Kasparov than the average person is silly.

Just won't be the same without Uncle Joe.

Also, lol at VP debate.Non factor engage!

Kaine: BA in economics, JD.
Pence: BA History, JD

Neither of their credentials scream intellectual elite. Probably very similar. But saying Kaine is intellectually closer to Gary Kasparov than the average person is silly.

You're skipping a lot of important details, IMO. And not really explaining your position well.

Honestly, it's Pence and Trump that are more the exceptions here. Both Clintons, Obama, Romney, Kerry, Cheney, and many others are on Kaine's level or even above.

Why? Isn't that pretty consistent with his bio (even before politics--though note that what he's done in politics is also consistent with him being extremely bright)? If anything, I'm probably selling him short.

You have him on near par with edison, gates, einstein, hawking?? Not to mention among the most intelligent vp or presidents, ever??

Obama is around 130

He may be bright -- but to say selling him short at 140-150 is pretty laughable.

Since no matter who gets elected I'm half-expecting an impeachment proceeding, so the VP might actually be important this go 'round. :eek::oops:

You have him on near par with edison, gates, einstein, hawking?? Not to mention among the most intelligent vp or presidents, ever??

Obama is around 130

I would say on par with Gates, sure. And LOL at the idea that Obama being that low. Even Bush is probably above that.

It's interesting to me that people think you can graduate from both Columbia and Harvard Law, be president of the Harvard Law Review, Lawrence Tribe's assistant for two years, a bestselling author, and a professor at the University of Chicago while not possessing rather extreme native intelligence. Even if you know nothing about him, just listening to him handle an in-depth interview should tell you that he's at a freak level.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/barack-obama-on-5-days-that-shaped-his-presidency.html

Last edited:
this will be hilarious, and much more 'even' than the Presidential one

i just hope they give their own opinions, i don't see how Pence can't, but i can see ol dude backing Hilary on every pt, ala John Edwards when he literally referred to Kerry's plans on at least 3/4 of all his answers

I would say on par with Gates, sure. And LOL at the idea that Obama being that low. Even Bush is probably above that.
you mean Bush Sr, right?

i know W went ot an Ivy, but cmon. dude look genuinelly impressed when he pronounced Namibia right or whatever on camera

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back