Volume

Trabaho

Mighty
@Black
Reaction score
How much volume do you think is best, in regards to training for kickboxing or mma. Strength, cardio, skill ect training. Intesity, types of excercises, duration.
Some pointers and guides. Tell sings. Tips. Experiences. Knowledge. Science.

LIfting volume-not a lot
cardio-entirely dependent on where you are as an athlete
skill training-this is the main focus, a lot of sparring mostly light contact this also takes care of a lot of cardio

LIfting volume-not a lot
cardio-entirely dependent on where you are as an athlete
skill training-this is the main focus, a lot of sparring mostly light contact this also takes care of a lot of cardio
Forgot you trained martial arts since you were young. Please post a sparring video so we can see how it's done.

The trick is pushing your training volume to the brink of overtraining, recovering then doing it again to expand your threshold. so everyone is quite different on the amount of volume they can handle without dropping into chronic fatigue. When you start you might be working in 3 day blocks. As you progress week long blocks and so on and so forth. When I'm in good shape I can't plan my recovery I just feel when I need it from experience

The trick is pushing your training volume to the brink of overtraining, recovering then doing it again to expand your threshold. so everyone is quite different on the amount of volume they can handle without dropping into chronic fatigue. When you start you might be working in 3 day blocks. As you progress week long blocks and so on and so forth. When I'm in good shape I can't plan my recovery I just feel when I need it from experience
Can agree with that. Just knowing when to back off. Depends how heavy, how hard, how fast the sessions take you. Not living by a robotic 3 on 1 off routine.

How much volume do you think is best, in regards to training for kickboxing or mma. Strength, cardio, skill ect training. Intesity, types of excercises, duration.
Some pointers and guides. Tell sings. Tips. Experiences. Knowledge. Science.

Do your skill work as much as you possibly can and then add onto it.

Me personally it's 3-5 Skill sessions (1 striking, 1 MMA and 3 BJJ), 2 lifting sessions and then I try and get some run style conditioning on top of that.

I actually feel best on 4 Skill sessions, 2 lifting and 3 LSS style cardio sessions as my year round weekly volume.

I would drop the lifting and add skill work if I was actually preparing for any type of competition.

You’re asking a very general question. It’s completely individual. Why don’t you post your routine and then we can critique it from there.

I think if you wanna progress in any dicipline (boxing, bjj, wrestling etc) you should practice it atleast twice a week and thats the minimimum

You’re asking a very general question. It’s completely individual. Why don’t you post your routine and then we can critique it from there.

That's a different topic. Yes it's a general knowledge topic.

I think if you wanna progress in any dicipline (boxing, bjj, wrestling etc) you should practice it atleast twice a week and thats the minimimum

If you wanna do it as hobby twice a week is ok. If you wanna get really good at it, like outstanding, twice is very little.

If you wanna do it as hobby twice a week is ok. If you wanna get really good at it, like outstanding, twice is very little.
There have been powerlifters in the past that only trained once a week, as Marty Gallagher documented. Some train twice a week too, so it really depends I guess. I do much better lifting with very low volume and high intensity for some reason, while others are the opposite

There have been powerlifters in the past that only trained once a week, as Marty Gallagher documented. Some train twice a week too, so it really depends I guess. I do much better lifting with very low volume and high intensity for some reason, while others are the opposite

I didn't realize you talked about power lifting.

In kickboxing and mma you need a lot of skills. In powerlifting you need the attribute of strength.

Are you also a fight fan

I didn't realize you talked about power lifting.

In kickboxing and mma you need a lot of skills. In powerlifting you need the attribute of strength.

Are you also a fight fan
Right I understand that, but you had strength training in your original post so I was just referencing that specific part

Right I understand that, but you had strength training in your original post so I was just referencing that specific part

I meant like strength training skill training cardio for combat sports. But there is obviously corelation between powerlifting and kickboxing and the strength.

It all varies depending on what your specific goals are and what kind of genetics you have.

Pushing yourself but backing off from injury or chronic fatigue is about right. Try to get multiple things trained at once but not strength and cardio and don't let something get held up by something else like grip holding up deadlift progression.

It all varies depending on what your specific goals are and what kind of genetics you have.

Pushing yourself but backing off from injury or chronic fatigue is about right. Try to get multiple things trained at once but not strength and cardio and don't let something get held up by something else like grip holding up deadlift progression.

Strength and cardio can and is mixed in training for combat sports.

Maybe not in powerlifting. I guess at the end of a lifting session you still can do cardio. If you're training for lifting numbers.

Strength and cardio can and is mixed in training for combat sports.

Maybe not in powerlifting. I guess at the end of a lifting session you still can do cardio. If you're training for lifting numbers.

From what I understand you inhibit the development of the other by doing them in the same session. I'd have a lifting day separate to my kickboxing.i never needed to be stronger.

But, I never lifted when I competed, skill was far more important and everything else came from that and circuit training.

As far as volume, I got to the point of training twice a day, 5 days a week. Only daily session would be exhausting. That took about a year to work up to so that it wasn't a burden.

For fighting sports like mma it's logical to combine strenght and cardio. When people do mma or wrestling they use strenght and endurance at the same time. Like grappling someone for 5 minutes.

Now for bodybuilding or powerlifting doing cardio before lifting is gonna burn your energy and make you lift less.

The problem I have is work. It gets majorly in the way of me doing more regular excercise. And lost days can't be caught up imo. It also hinders complete recovery by the way of sleep on many days.

For fighting sports like mma it's logical to combine strenght and cardio. When people do mma or wrestling they use strenght and endurance at the same time. Like grappling someone for 5 minutes.

Now for bodybuilding or powerlifting doing cardio before lifting is gonna burn your energy and make you lift less.

The problem I have is work. It gets majorly in the way of me doing more regular excercise. And lost days can't be caught up imo. It also hinders complete recovery by the way of sleep on many days.

You can get stronger whilst working your cardio, but you improve at both slower than if you separate them. The reason why it is a feasible strategy in training of fighting is that in fighting there is vastly more benefit communicated from learning technique in a cognitive and physical sense.

This is magnified if you're seeking power.

At least that's what I understand from others who are a lot smarter than me.

Yes sleep is key.

Back