News Volk says Aldo is FW GOAT

Cowboy Kurt Angle

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2024/5/...ski-declares-jose-aldo-the-featherweight-goat

“That’s for other people to decide, but for me, if you’re going to ask me, I’m going to say Aldo because he was the champion for a very long time,” Volkanovski said. “Obviously, people are going to look at the competition and all that, but to be champion for that long, things go wrong. You fight injured, there’s so many things that can go wrong, and to be champion that long, it’s saying something. He was very dominant as a champion as well, so full respect to Aldo.”

Obviously. The last WEC featherweight champ, unified the WEC and UFC featherweight titles after defending the WEC belt twice, and defended the UFC title seven times. Will be a while before anyone surpasses Aldo as the 145 GOAT.

He is correct

giphy.gif

Still got a "people are going to look at the competition and all that" in there

<seedat>
New fans don’t realize that prime Ricardo Lamas and Mark Hominick were just as good as Ortega and Yair and Aldo beat the prime version of KZ not the shot one. Now granted Volk beat Max three times but Aldo beat Faber, Mike Brown, Florian, Edgar x2, and Mendes x2 so that more than balances it out.

hes right. that’s why i love volk. honest, humble, grounded, not a hater…

it’ll be hard to surpass aldo as goat fw. defenses mean a lot, regardless of what one thinks about the level of competition retrospectively. great fighters tend to make it look easy. and it’s foolish to think that newer fighters = better. it took a very long time for anyone to “figure out” aldo. prime aldo with peak speed and reflexes was almost impossible to beat. topuria should recognize the shoes he’s walking in as he struts around like a diva.

New fans don’t realize that prime Ricardo Lamas and Mark Hominick were just as good as Ortega and Yair and Aldo beat the prime version of KZ not the shot one. Now granted Volk beat Max three times but Aldo beat Faber, Mike Brown, Florian, Edgar x2, and Mendes x2 so that more than balances it out.

Yeah for sure I agree. Edgar twice is as close to Max 3x as you're going to get honestly, that's damn good.

mike brown was #3 or #4 p4p when aldo beat him. mendes is probably the best fighter never to become champ in his division. edgar, even thought he lost the belt, was still one of the hardest fights between lw and fw, and he arguably won his second fight with bendo after being competitive in the first. those 5 fights alone are goatworthy. throw in prime kz, faber, et al., and it’s not even close. aldo is one the best ever in mma.

Anybody with a clue knows that.

It’s only noobs, trolls, or stupid people that call people like Usman, Izzy, and Alex divisional GOATs. None of them even came close to the consecutive defences the actual GOATs have.

Back