Video of a 9th Dan black belt test (taekwondo)

Wish I could have had dancing Korean girls at my tests.

That's American Taekwondo, also known as ATA. Also known as garbage.

This is Korean ITF Taekwondo from a. 9th degree.

I still haven't made it through the whole video but I needed to comment that drumming and martial arts are two of the 3 things I consider myself to be expert level at, and the drumming pretty girls are actually pretty impressive. It may or may not be that they're pretty, but whatever.

Edit: Gonna watch spacetime's video too. I trained in ATA for about 9 months or so. I have no particular attachment to it but some of the guys there were terrifying.

Edit 2: So was he going to do a combo jump roundhouse spinning hook kick at the end and couldn't pull of the hook kick? Lol.

Last edited:
It starts 2:00. He moves insane for a heavyweight.

It starts 2:00. He moves insane for a heavyweight.

He does move well; he's fast and fluid and balanced. The whole belt thing is garbage though as I'm sure you know. Worth taking a look at, but not mind blowing or indicative of any particular style IMO; he's presumably younger and definitely more naturally athletic than the guy in Frode's video (who also is no lard ass).

I earned my 2nd blackbelt by refusing to test past beginner for years and years. Eventually the instructors got tired of me confusing people who weren't familiar with me and my lowly belt. I couldn't care less what people called me and I wasn't going to pay a testing fee to tell me I knew how to "wax off" (this was the 90s when people still had a full bush.)

He does move well; he's fast and fluid and balanced. The whole belt thing is garbage though as I'm sure you know. Worth taking a look at, but not mind blowing or indicative of any particular style IMO; he's presumably younger and definitely more naturally athletic than the guy in Frode's video (who also is no lard ass).

I earned my 2nd blackbelt by refusing to test past beginner for years and years. Eventually the instructors got tired of me confusing people who weren't familiar with me and my lowly belt. I couldn't care less what people called me and I wasn't going to pay a testing fee to tell me I knew how to "wax off" (this was the 90s when people still had a full bush.)

The 9th Dan grade denotes time spent and contributions made to the art. If you don't write any books or contribute in any shape of form, you can't get a 9th degree (highest in TKD). You aren't even graded in front of a formal panel until 5th degree either, so anybody who sticks around long enough will get at least 4 dan.

And ATA is an infamous McDojo manufacturer, as well as being fake TKD. They made up everything from scratch and slapped on the name.

Anthony Pettis is ironically enough from ATA, so I am sorry if anybody thinks that's Korean TKD he is doing. It is not. He is also a hybrid fighter nowdays.

Also known as garbage.
HA
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Anthony Pettis is ironically enough from ATA, so I am sorry if anybody thinks that's Korean TKD he is doing. It is not. He is also a hybrid fighter nowdays.

You're sort of proving my point. Organizations and belts are garbage. Two of the best kickers I've ever met in my life were ATA black belts. If the Pettis' are from ATA I don't know how better we can discuss this.

Lineage as you mentioned in another thread is horseshit. Actual ability is everything.

You're sort of proving my point. Organizations and belts are garbage. Two of the best kickers I've ever met in my life were ATA black belts. If the Pettis' are from ATA I don't know how better we can discuss this.

Lineage as you mentioned in another thread is horseshit. Actual ability is everything.

Yeah but Have you seen their forms and sparring? It's a disaster. There is no quality control. They wear fucking armour gear in sparring as well.

meh, i dont think taekwando is bad if you integrate another art into it. just has to many holes by itself.

Yeah but Have you seen their forms and sparring? It's a disaster. There is no quality control. They wear fucking armour gear in sparring as well.

Story time. I trained in WTF for a good few years. One time I was paired up with a chick who was doing her "1 steps" I asked her if she was ready, I gave her the "KYAH!", she yells back. I punch at her face and she does nothing and I punch to the side of her face not hitting her instead.

Being the effectively MMArtist I was at that point I tell her non-assholely "even if you don't remember the step at least move out of the way and then think. The point is to train a reaction." (This is verbatim.)

She tells me angrily "it's your job as the higher belt to pull your punch until I can do my stuff."

There's no fucking TKD organizations. There's "can you fight."

This is my TKD instructor guys, isn't he using a Judo technique at the 1 minute mark???

This is my TKD instructor guys, isn't he using a Judo technique at the 1 minute mark???

No, that's WWE. I've seen that technique at every blackbelt TKD test or tournament I've ever been to. I'll let you fuck my wife if you can pull it off on me. Open invitation.

Edit: I'm bailing out of this thread FFS.

I have seen jujitsu guys do some version of that thing. Isn't it called a flying triangle? Anyway, something like that.

My instructor started off in Judo.

Back