Video: Key Bridge in Maryland collapses after being struck by container ship

As a big fan of the Wire I’m sorry to see that bridge go. It featured prominently several times in the show, particularly in season 2, and is seemingly one of the few landmarks of Baltimore

baltimore-s-key-bridge-featured-in-the-wire.png
That's the season with Nick Sobotka's girlfriend's tits.

Seems like after it regained power they steered her really hard to the right, perhaps over doing it. Then lost power again so headed straight for the pylon. Upon regaining power they barely changed course.

I'm not sure if thst first direction change could be from an anchor but it turns surprisingly fast (to my untrained eyes).

Interesting the number of people expressing some bridge phobia. Really unexpected. Not giving you guys shit (im scared of birds) just didn't know it was a thing.

The Dali - ship that hit the bridge - has a gross tonnage of 95,000 tonnes.

To put that into perspective the Ford class aircraft carriers (newest & most advanced carriers in the USN) has a gross tonnage of 100,000 tonnes.

Just imagine a Ford class carrier smashing into the Bridge's supports.

You realize gross tonnage when used to describe ships is a measure of volume and not weight right?

Also gross tonnage isn't necessarily the actual volume, but the applicable volume for regulations of that vessels size.

Certain spaces don't count towards the vssls gross tonnage.

You realize gross tonnage when used to describe ships is a measure of volume and not weight right?

Also gross tonnage isn't necessarily the actual volume, but the applicable volume for regulations of that vessels size.

My mistake then . I had assumed it was the weight of the ship when fully loaded.

Sorry if I came off assholish, lots of people have been using the term in the past 24 hours with no clue as to what it is, you're just the lucky one I guess lol.

Educating Sherbros one post at a time
Do they judge the weight of the ship by the waterline? Some ships must haul some empty containers.

Do they judge the weight of the ship by the waterline? Some ships must haul some empty containers.

Load lines are indicators of the vessels draft in relation to the amount of cargo on board. There are multiple load lines on a ship for different operating areas based on regulation of maximum load for draft and stability sake.

They are also useful in determining if a vessel is taking on water or leaking fluid.

ABC and the AP may be making the same mistake as me, because they say the weight of the ship (empty of cargo) is 95,000 tons

Here's what a quick google search on Dali's weight and cargo capacity brought up

Wiki says the deadweight tonnage (weight of cargo, crew, fuel, ballast, provisons, fresh water) is 116,851 tons

Displacement (weight of ship): 148,984 tons . Wiki does not say if this is the displacement with or without cargo. I assume it is without cargo because if it is with cargo then the ship only weighs 32,133 tons (calculated by substrating deadweight tonnage from displacement) , which seems awfully low for that ship.

ABC and the AP may be making the same mistake as me, because they say the weight of the ship (empty of cargo) is 95,000 tons

Here's what a quick google search on Dali's weight and cargo capacity brought up

Wiki says the deadweight tonnage (weight of cargo, crew, fuel, ballast, provisons, fresh water) is 116,851 tons

Displacement (weight of ship): 148,984 tons . Wiki does not say if this is the displacement with or without cargo. I assume it is without cargo because if it is with cargo then the ship only weighs 32,133 tons (calculated by substrating deadweight tonnage from displacement) , which seems awfully low for that ship.
Who gives a duck lol it's heavy enough to duck up a bridge that's it

There are reports that the ship had problems with electrical power at the dock. There are refrigerated containers on board that are operated by electricity that were reported to have been having power failures. Those were likely isolated from the ships control and propulsion systems when the ship was constructed. I wonder if some creative engineering was done so they were using control and propulsion power for the refrigerated containers that caused the overload.

Load lines are indicators of the vessels draft in relation to the amount of cargo on board. There are multiple load lines on a ship for different operating areas based on regulation of maximum load for draft and stability sake.

They are also useful in determining if a vessel is taking on water or leaking fluid.

Do you think people should have load lines for alcohol consumption?

This is tragic.

RIP to the victims.

Poor road workers were just there to fix a pothole on the road

FBI launches CRIMINAL probe into Baltimore bridge collapse as agents look at whether 22-man crew knew the Dali had problems when it left port before it crashed killing six builders​

The FBI has launched a criminal probe into the Baltimore bridge collapse that killed six construction workers.

Agents will investigate whether the 22-strong crew of the Dali knew it had serious systemic issues before they left the Maryland port on March 26.

Meanwhile Baltimore's mayor said the city is brining in outside firms to 'hold responsible all entities accountable for the Key Bridge tragedy'.

It comes just three weeks after shocking footage beamed around the world showing the 110,000-ton cargo ship ram into the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

The huge smash caused it to collapse on to the vessel and into the freezing river, sending six construction workers to their death.

The criminal probe will be overseen by the US district attorney's office in Maryland and focus on how much the 22-crew knew about the ship's problems.

Baltimore mayor Brandon Scott said: 'This unthinkable tragedy has taken Marylanders from their loved ones, and risked the livelihoods of thousands of Baltimoreans who rely on the Port of Baltimore.

'Part of that work needs to be seeking recourse from those who may potentially be responsible, and with the ship's owner filing a petition to limit its liability mere days after the incident, we need to act equally as quickly yo protect the City's interest.'

There is already a separate federal probe into the deadly collapse of Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge by the National Transportation Safety Board.

During the initial stages of that probe, investigators are focusing on the electrical power system of the massive container ship that veered off course.

Jennifer Homendy, chair of the National Transportation Safety Board, said her agency is gathering data with assistance from Hyundai, the manufacturer of equipment in the ship's engine room. Testifying before a U.S. Senate committee, she said investigators have also requested assistance to examine its circuit breakers.

'That is where our focus is right now in this investigation,' she said. 'Of course, that's preliminary. It could take different roads, different paths as we continue this investigation.'

Homendy said they've zeroed in on the electrical system. The ship experienced power issues moments before the crash, as evidenced in videos showing its lights going out and coming back on.

The FBI is doing criminal probe. I heard people say the boat was too old to be doing such a procedure.

Back