(Video) Chael Sonnen: Size is a disadvantage in a fight.

For the uninitiated-Every 3 weeks or so chael comes up with some idiotic idea or premise and tries to sell it, because he has a constant need to self promote and craves attention.

Did he really try to make his point while ignoring that Cormier was actually heavier than Stipe? Also if what he says was true, guys from 185 and 205 would constantly move to HW and beat the top dogs.

If that s what Chael actually said and IN THAT CONTEXT, then he's the dumbest smart guy in the business.
If we're talking about the difference of 1 weight class then it's all predicated on how good the fighter is against how good the fighter he's fighting against.Its that layman.

Ok- people weight cut freekn 17% of their body weight to be at a disadvantage
......yeah, ok. For someone who understands the fight game, it's hard to believe he said that and mean it in that context

Melvin Manhoef KOed Mark Hunt but he didnt move up to heavyweight afterwards and clean the division out.... did people forget Pride? Remember what happens when a skilled HW fights a smaller guy! Prime cro cop vs prime Wandy for example

Oh this should upset all the apparent six foot six 250lb shredded to the bone UFC caliber keyboard warriors that claim to lurk around here. 3.... 2....1..... "But but.......Manlets...."

He's not wrong. Ive always felt HW is terrible especially post-USADA.

Oh this should upset all the apparent six foot six 250lb shredded to the bone UFC caliber keyboard warriors that claim to lurk around here. 3.... 2....1..... "But but.......Manlets...."

Don’t worry. I’m 6’6 250 shredded and as fast as MM, so I wasn’t insulted

That's why champions are usually the smallest guys in their divisions.

That sounds nice, but then you watch Murilo vs Kharitonov for a reality check.

Cormier is bigger than Stipe, Sonnen just embarrassed himself. In terms of height?? yes Stipe is taller of course, but that does not mean he is bigger. Stipe is very lean, Cormier is a heavier guy in person.

I am confused. I saw thread with him calling Bruce Lee a skinny small wimp. Now size is disadvantage?

250? Tf breh, the average sherbro is 375 ripped at 6'7.

he is not wrong.

I love Shale but their is a reason why he took a cocktail of drugs and cut 20-25lbs to fight at middleweight instead of Light Heavyweight. He was an elite middleweight but got absolutely buried by anyone who had size and strength advantage and could put and keep him on his back, see his fights with Rashad and Tito for reference. Using DC is a poor example because he was initially an undefeated heavy who only moved down because of Cain, and he fights better heavier, more knockout power and can take shots better. So no, this is ridiculous and weight classes matter for a reason. Even past their prime heavies who weren't very good to begin with bodybag the lower weight class elites, Chris Tuchscherer could roll off his couch and destroy Conor McGregor today without a camp and Christian Morecraft would body Khabib

It’s not the size or the art it’s the man and how he uses it.

135-185 lbs divisions are the most skilled because fighters have a good balance of speed, power and athleticism. Being smaller and bigger than that has a bunch of disadvantages.

Chael is basically trying to say the relationship between size and success in MMA is not perfectly linear, which is true especially once you start entering the LHW/HW space where cardio/dexterity and some other things start to trade off suboptimally against the usual advantages of size (pure strength).

Back