[VID] Tony Ferguson REACTS To Khabib Nurmagomedov Pulling Out Of UFC 209 Fight: "I Feel For Him..."

sherdoug420

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Tony showing his class plus Joe Rogan on fighters literally being on the brink of death to make weight at weight-classes well below their natural weight to give themselves the edge...

Yep he was pure class after it was announced. Good man.

Yep he was pure class after it was announced. Good man.

I really thought it would happen this time...all this build up, hype, trash talk, UFC finally pushing Khabib and day before the event it gets cancelled. It's almost comedic.

No offense to Khabib, I hope he's healthy and puts this behind him and either can figure out a way to make a healthy cut to 155 or just move up to 170. But it's time to move on from this. At this point, can't rely on him. Give Ferg the title shot vs Conor.

Something tells me that while Conor the fighter would love the challenge of fighting a guy like Ferg, Conor the businessman sees the risk and the animal he'll be up against and maybe isn't so pumped about this potential fight.

No offense to Khabib, I hope he's healthy and puts this behind him and either can figure out a way to make a healthy cut to 155 or just move up to 170. But it's time to move on from this. At this point, can't rely on him. Give Ferg the title shot vs Conor.

Something tells me that while Conor the fighter would love the challenge of fighting a guy like Ferg, Conor the businessman sees the risk and the animal he'll be up against and maybe isn't so pumped about this potential fight.

Agreed but I think if the money is right Conor will take the fight against Tony.

Question: If Khabib were to move up to WW would he still dominate in wrestling like he did at LW?

Agreed but I think if the money is right Conor will take the fight against Tony.
no, he will duck Tony and take the easier fight in boxing vs Mayweather.
Or the easier UFC fight in Wonderboy/Woodley winner.

Sherdog logic.

IMO Khabib would've been a much tougher matchup for Conor. Ferg's just too hittable and plays right into Conor's strength.

I think so too. He's his own brand, and obviously wants to cultivate the brand as much as he can. And he knows the challenge that Tony will be and that he could lose and that tarnishes his brand. But he's also a fighter at heart. His competitive side will want the fight. He'll want to get paid of course, and he will. I think the fight happens when Conor comes back. I hope it does.

BTW the most shameful part of all this is Dana forcing Ferg to hard-sell the rest of the card in front of everybody there while cowering in the background and whining about how tough this is on HIM.

Both guys are killers and they for sure know it. Respeck.

giphy.gif

IMO Khabib would've been a much tougher matchup for Conor. Ferg's just too hittable and plays right into Conor's strength.

Keep in mind all the crazy Imanari rolls and entries are in play for Tony vs Conor. There's no threat on the ground from Conor, so all those tools can be used liberally if that fight happens. Which give Conor all sorts of other things to think about. Conor is brilliant at utilizing and manipulating distance but if Tony tries to get the fight to the ground he doesn't have to do it with traditional entries. That really is a wild card in terms of how Conor tries to control the distance in the fight. Because he'll obviously want to avoid the ground like the plague vs Tony, so he'll have a ton on his plate to deal with in how unpredictable Tony's entries can be. Tony doesn't close distance like other guys do, esp against someone where he won't have to worry about them trying to get top control on him.

Back