Viacom possibly moving Bellator to CMT.

Yea I still don't know who the Paramount channel is for..

Here is a quote from a Viacom exec:
“We wanted to create a destination for premium scripted programing on cable,” says Kay. “We were Spike for 14 years and [we] did a lot of great things. But one of the big obstacles was [broadening] from being just a network for men.”

This could work, if CMT shows more just the fights (countdown shows, clips of past shows, etc) to help promote the product better. IMO they need to do more freak shows and one night tournaments It obviously gets people interested. Hopefully if Viacom and CBS merge again they can get Bellator on Showtime. I feel it's a better fit for Bellator and they have a history with Scott Coker.

UFC have played this brilliantly, dangling expensive free agents that wouldn't attract much casual interest.

Coker took the bait. Hook, line and sinker.

I get an almost AMC vibe they’re going for. They debuted the channel with a 6-part series Waco which was really good, but haven’t seen any original programming since.

think Luke Thomas and them on one of the mma shows were saying alot of women are watching that network. That when it was a mens channel with Manswers and 1000 ways to die, cops, Gangland and UFC it fit. But now they still have Cops I guess and Ink Master but htey are trying to more of a real network with series etc and alot of women watch the network now. That Bellator just doesnt fit at all with what they are doing.

Last edited:
UFC have played this brilliantly, dangling expensive free agents that wouldn't attract much casual interest.

Coker took the bait. Hook, line and sinker.

This really might be true. Whether it was strategy or wanting to save money or both it seems to be working. UFC has seen multiple orgs suffer the same fate.

This really might be true. Whether it was strategy or wanting to save money or both it seems to be working. UFC has seen multiple orgs suffer the same fate.

It is certainly both
The reality is, Bellator grossed 2-3% of what UFC did in 2017 & out-bid them on several fighters.
The math doesn't add up

Bellator is going through some tough times.

So, their plan is to sign Chuck....a guy that is 48 years old, clearly can't speak as clearly as he once did, was 1-5 in his last six fights, was KOed in his last three fights?

That's Coker's plan?

Plus, I'm still trying to figure out why they think the heavyweight tournament is going to help out at all. It's filled with guys well past their prime and two middleweights have a decent shot at winning it.

To be honest, I liked the simpler approach of the past where it was:

Upcoming prospect vs. Former UFC fighter.

They have very good guys on their roster that could becomes stars: Pico, Ruth, Fortune, Storely, etc. Put your eggs in that basket, not Bader vs. Mir.

Bring Bjorn back. He ran Bellator on peanuts and put on the most memorable cards in Bellator history. There were Friday nights when I stopped watching Bellator and I was so hyped for next week or the next round in the tournaments. Now I feel like meh after Bellator cards. The only thing that excites me are the potential stars like Pico, Gallagher, and McKee

Alot of people hated Bjorn but I was alot more interested in Bellator when he was running it. Also think he was underrated at building stars. Guys like Chandler came to be under Bjorn, he seemed like he was interested in building homegrown stars for the long run not bringing out old retirees to draw in for the short term and putting on the most uninspired cards to fill the time between the big events.

Every Bellator event seemed to have meaning and relevance under Bjorn even the smaller more uninteresting cards. Coker just seems interested in putting on a few big cards a year and letting everything else go to shit.

I suppose moving away from HD channel to low quality low bitrate low resolution standard def 4x3 channel means you're very close to being shit canned.

I suppose moving away from HD channel to low quality low bitrate low resolution standard def 4x3 channel means you're very close to being shit canned.
oh damn, i don't watch CMT, does it not broadcast in HD?

What's worse is it's not full screen 4x3, but shrunken letterbox 4x3.

Alot of people hated Bjorn but I was alot more interested in Bellator when he was running it. Also think he was underrated at building stars. Guys like Chandler came to be under Bjorn, he seemed like he was interested in building homegrown stars for the long run not bringing out old retirees to draw in for the short term and putting on the most uninspired cards to fill the time between the big events.

Every Bellator event seemed to have meaning and relevance under Bjorn even the smaller more uninteresting cards. Coker just seems interested in putting on a few big cards a year and letting everything else go to shit.

I think it has more to do with the fact that head of the promotion has negligible effect on the success of the sports or its events, and that there are really more mma which seems to be on a downward trend more or less.

Bjorn was a well known douchebag who's favoritism towards certain fighters and blatant disregard and disrespect to others drove him out of his own company. While I'm not a fan of Coker, I personally think he's ridiculously overrated as a promoter, I doubt Bellator would be as successful today with Bjorn still at the helm.

I wonder if Bellator would even invest in a circus fight with chuck at this point.

none of the previous circus investments have panned out long term.

Bjorn was a well known douchebag who's favoritism towards certain fighters and blatant disregard and disrespect to others drove him out of his own company. While I'm not a fan of Coker, I personally think he's ridiculously overrated as a promoter, I doubt Bellator would be as successful today with Bjorn still at the helm.

They had their worst financial year ever in 2017.
That is not success.
if you mean popularity, then you would have to give Bjorn the much bigger budget and see how he does with it

I wonder if Bellator would even invest in a circus fight with chuck at this point.

none of the previous circus investments have panned out long term.

I think the fact that it has been 7 weeks since they reported Chuck was close to signing, shows Viacom might be holding Coker back.
There is/was a rumor that Tito/Chuck might do an MMA fight with Golden Boy as promoter.

Back